Proposal: A trade around Kadri and Trouba

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As already noted Lowry’s P/60 was higher last year their their expected goal scoring rates are about the same at 5v5. Even if he gets PP time Kadri is not like to repeat his performance from last year where he scored on over 26% of his muffins shots.
Yes...it's not like he can repeat his 32 goal season...you know how hard it is to have back to back 32 goal seasons??:sarcasm:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Why does Trouba get all this attention? He's two full seasons away from being a UFA. In two years every team will have about six UFAs. Jets probable need Trouba more than another centre with Scheifle, Rosovic, Little, maybe even Wheeler and Pearrualt can play centre.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
On the surface it seems ok ,Trouba would be pretty good patrolling the leaf blueline..And Kadri is a talented shit disturber...But I wonder if the Leafs may be robbing from Peter to pay Paul a little here,they really dont have a gritty talent to replace what Kadri brings to that very skilled but somewhat less physical forward core....Think the Leafs should pass here

Reactions: Brock Radunske

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You can't rebut nonsense. How can you say Kadri is unlikely to match his performance from last year...when he pretty much mirrored his performance from the prior year?
:laugh: This thread is full of Jets fans failing in their criticisms.
It really is unbelievable sad how hard they try and how hard they fail.
Sad in a hilarious kind of way.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
As already noted Lowry’s P/60 was higher last year their their expected goal scoring rates are about the same at 5v5. Even if he gets PP time Kadri is not like to repeat his performance from last year where he scored on over 26% of his muffins shots.
About the same? Seriously?...Well I suppose he should get a raise then !Ssince he is about the same as crosby,stamkos,barzal just to name a few!
Point remains... no Gm would give up Kadri for the lack of talent that is Lowry...give it a rest! Adios!

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I think it's unlikely Kadri repeats 32 goals this season simply because he's now playing on the third line. His TOI and his line mates ability is going to drop significantly, even if he maintains the ability he had this prior two seasons it's highly unlikely he mirrors the statistical out put.

This thread is weird because it's essentially a lot of people looking at Kadri's stats in a vacuum.

"He ranked X out of the league in points by a center..."

"He posted Y points the last two seasons..."

This stuff is all meaningless unless you contextualize it with the league around him. Where he ranked in points is misleading because there is a litany of guys who for various reasons played less games than him but are widely regarded as better. The points he posted the last two seasons aren't entirely useful since he's now moving away from those line mates and losing substantial time on ice.

Like here's my thing about this entire thread, if you view Kadri in a vacuum he's everything Leafs fans say he is and more. Once you begin to contextualize the argument and include in the league around him and the future he becomes a lot more of a human player.

And here's the strangest thing, I don't think many people have actually said Kadri is bad, I think most people just said the characterization of him as a 1-2C is disingenuous. I think that the evidence provided widely supports that claim, but what this has turned into is a lot of people dying on the hill for Kadri as being a lot better than I think even they actually believe he is.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I think it's unlikely Kadri repeats 32 goals this season simply because he's now playing on the third line. His TOI and his line mates ability is going to drop significantly, even if he maintains the ability he had this prior two seasons it's highly unlikely he mirrors the statistical out put.

This thread is weird because it's essentially a lot of people looking at Kadri's stats in a vacuum.

This stuff is all meaningless unless you contextualize it with the league around him. Where he ranked in points is misleading because there is a litany of guys who for various reasons played less games than him but are widely regarded as better. The points he posted the last two seasons aren't entirely useful since he's now moving away from those line mates and losing substantial time on ice.

Like here's my thing about this entire thread, if you view Kadri in a vacuum he's everything Leafs fans say he is and more. Once you begin to contextualize the argument and include in the league around him and the future he becomes a lot more of a human player.

And here's the strangest thing, I don't think many people have actually said Kadri is bad, I think most people just said the characterization of him as a 1-2C is disingenuous. I think that the evidence provided widely supports that claim, but what this has turned into is a lot of people dying on the hill for Kadri as being a lot better than I think even they actually believe he is.
The most important aspect...is what he does ! What other players do what he does? If a comparison is even needed! He is not easy to replace! There are not 30 other Kadris in the league to be sure!

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Jets fan here.

Simply considering the player's impact, Trouba > Kadri. The only reason I'm even entertaining this trade is if Trouba is bolting from Winnipeg and forcing a trade/UFA, which appears more and more likely to be the case.

The Jets are a pretty complete team, but trading/losing Trouba creates a problem for our RHD. Buff is capable of 1st pairing duties, but at 33 it's questionable for how long. That leaves us with a big gaping hole in our top pairing in the middle of what should be our contention window. Ideally, Chevy would want to address this hole via any Trouba trade. But to be realistic, that's a difficult trade to pull off.

So, if a top pairing RHD is off the trade table, what else do the Jets need? Not much. But a 2C on a great deal, capable of centering some of our young guns (much like Stastny did last year) isn't a bad alternative. The Jets are entering into cap crunch this season, and it only gets worse from here on out. We've already had to start shedding some contracts for cap reasons (Armia). Using our other departing assets, like Trouba, for high value contracts like Kadri is a smart play for a cap-crunched team.

I don't think this deal happens now. But I could see something around Trouba/Kadri happening in the near future, if a number of specific things fall into place.

1. Neither Little or Roslovic are clicking with the Jets' 2nd line. There's been debate on HFJets about whether Little is regressing from the highly underrated, solid centerman he once was. Or whether he just isn't a good fit for the young wingers we've played him with. We have a lot of hope for Roslovic's future as a top 6 center, but that has yet to play out.

2. Trouba would need to express interest in signing long-term with the Leafs. This is highly uncertain, because we're all guessing why he doesn't want to sign long-term in Winnipeg. Is it money? Is that he just doesn't want to play in Canada at all? Does he want to be closer to his family/gf in the states? The Jets will want to maximize Trouba's trade value by trading him somewhere he wants to stay, and the Leafs don't want a rental. However, it is possible Trouba may be allured by the big city, bright lights of Toronto. A few things have hinted towards Trouba liking the limelight, like the Jacob Trouba smartphone app he tried to launch a few years back.

3. Chevy doesn't get a better offer for a D-man.

So if that all happens, then yeah, I would consider something around Trouba and Kadri. A high-end, cost controlled 2C could be one of the Jets few needs, provided neither Little or Roslovic pan out. I think the Leafs would need to sweeten the deal to get it done.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

This is exactly right. That's why they should sell high. Ryan Spooner probably gets more points this year than him because he's going to be in a scoring role.

Reactions: Snowman

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Thought so! You can't handle reality!
Yes, you are like that! I know you think every Leaf player is the best in the world and you just can't accept that we would rather keep the player more suited to the shutdown position! You keep living in wonderland though!

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Hector and facts don't go together well. He avoids facts that go against his rambling at all costs. He'd rather just keep repeating his wish based opinion over and over and over...

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
1) kadri didn't take a team friendly discount to win in toronto and management can't use him as an example. the leafs came off a season where they finished in last place in the entire league, and he came of a season where he finished with 45 points. a 4.5 cap hit was fine for what he had produced. when he signed his current contract, in 2016 and he wasn't a 30 goal, 50 point scorer.

Ah that's right. I forgot he'd signed it after the last place season. So he didn't take a discount per say but he did give much more term than he had to at a very reasonable cap hit. I think management looks fondly on that and would be hesitant to trade a very committed player.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Hah you haven’t responded in the slightest to any of the stats posted in this thread other than saying “durrr..32 goals!”

Maybe if you just respond to the information presented instead of getting personal it could be productive.
Info? The info as you call it is meaningless! What is there to discuss...Kadri has established that his value is that of a premier shut-down centerman ! He scored 30 goals twice while doing that job! He is on possibly the best contract in the league for centermen! Anyone can try to diminish his value for their own entertainment.Just don't try to convince anyone with bullshyte laddy!

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I think this trade is good for both teams... that's probably why there's 18 pages

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Info? The info as you call it is meaningless! What is there to discuss...Kadri has established that his value is that of a premier shut-down centerman ! He scored 30 goals twice while doing that job! He is on possibly the best contract in the league for centermen! Anyone can try to diminish his value for their own entertainment.Just don't try to convince anyone with bullshyte laddy!

But the topic isnt about Kadri.. Its about Trouba for Kadri so... Jets say no. End this thread which has now become basically a glorified HFLeafs topic

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Nope! Even comparing that way you are flat out wrong again.

As a shut down center, everyone would take Lowry 11 times out of 10.
Shut down C
Lowry>>>Kadri
Trouba>>>Zaitsev at everything.

We've already told you a few times, you are not getting Trouba for Kadri. Stop trying to push Kadri on us.
TML fans deny their lack of top D but always seem to try to acquire 1 for parts they figure they don't need anymore. Then they try to upsell said excess parts while downgrading the player they are after. They also totally ignore the many attempts to inform them that other teams don't trade for redundant parts but to upgrade their own team.

Leaf fans, if your players are so great please keep them all & stop trying to pirate the better 1s from other teams. The other 30 GMs do not sleep in Leaf jammies & plot how to improve Toronto even if it costs them their job.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad