Proposal: A trade around Kadri and Trouba

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Hyman also plays a much more complete 200 foot game that Laine simply does not. If Laine isn’t sniping goals he’s useless. Hyman is someone you hate to play against.
Hyman is also utterly carried by his linemates offensively. I'm a Leaf fan

Kadri is overrated.

21, 28, 29, 23 assists.... Yikes
that's definitely cherrypicking to find a negative. He's more of a goal scorer than a passer, and he's played with some linemates who really didn't finish much for him to get more assists in the last few years

there's lots of guys that you can frame negatively with this kind of cherrypicking who are tremendous players

Ryan Getzlaf: 25, 13, 15, 11 goals....Yikes

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hyman also plays a much more complete 200 foot game that Laine simply does not. If Laine isn’t sniping goals he’s useless. Hyman is someone you hate to play against.

There's no realm in which Hyman's name should be spoken with Laine unless we're talking about the guy who is hand scrubbing Laine's jock. Laine drives play and handles business. Hyman gets driven by one of the best centers in the game, and literally just has to keep to the most basic rule in hockey - "keep your stick on the ice" to get points.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If the Leafs traded Kadri they would have the worst bottom 6 centers in the league.

At this point it would consist of two AHL quality players. Maybe one of the Euro free agents will surprise me but still, not close to playoff caliber.

Kadri allows the Leafs third line wingers (who are good players) to get enough ice time and allows for the 4th line center to get very little ES ice time.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Hyman is also utterly carried by his linemates offensively. I'm a Leaf fan

that's definitely cherrypicking to find a negative. He's more of a goal scorer than a passer, and he's played with some linemates who really didn't finish much for him to get more assists in the last few years

there's lots of guys that you can frame negatively with this kind of cherrypicking who are tremendous players

Ryan Getzlaf: 25, 13, 15, 11 goals....Yikes
I guess I needed the sarcasm emoji...

Reactions: therealkoho

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
If the Leafs traded Kadri they would have the worst bottom 6 centers in the league.

At this point it would consist of two AHL quality players. Maybe one of the Euro free agents will surprise me but still, not close to playoff caliber.

Kadri allows the Leafs third line wingers (who are good players) to get enough ice time and allows for the 4th line center to get very little ES ice time.

But if we ever had to trade Kadri, we could surivive. Nylander would be switched to C. Marner/Kapanen/Brown would become our RWs. Not saying it'd be good for us, but it Kadr can get us a Slavin then...

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
But if we ever had to trade Kadri, we could surivive. Nylander would be switched to C. Marner/Kapanen/Brown would become our RWs. Not saying it'd be good for us, but it Kadr can get us a Slavin then...

Personally would rather keep the ridiculous centre depth, and the Matthews/Nylander Tavares/Marner combos. I really think them plus a Kadri-led 3rd line is going to be brutal to try and deal with. That is legit matchup nightmare

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Personally would rather keep the ridiculous centre depth, and the Matthews/Nylander Tavares/Marner combos. I really think them plus a Kadri-led 3rd line is going to be brutal to try and deal with. That is legit matchup nightmare

How would you feel about Matthews playing wing with Tavares at center?

Matthews / Tavares / Hyman
Johnsson / Kadri / Marner
Marleau / Nylander / Kapanen

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's

Certainly tempting factoring in great addition to the d-corps as well.

I probably still would stand pat for a couple of reasons: Matthews/Nylander is proven chemistry, they're great together. Second I don't think that lineup gets the most out of Marner. Lastly, my ideal 3rd line is
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
which I think has potential to do damage while being very capable defensively

Still tempting though lol

Edit: I'm not sure if there is any d-corps addition in your proposal? I wrote that thinking there was a trade involved. I think I'm a little out of it lol
My bad

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Certainly tempting factoring in great addition to the d-corps as well.

I probably still would stand pat for a couple of reasons: Matthews/Nylander is proven chemistry, they're great together. Second I don't think that lineup gets the most out of Marner. Lastly, my ideal 3rd line is
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
which I think has potential to do damage while being very capable defensively

Still tempting though lol

Will be interesting to see how Babcock tinkers with the line-up from game to game

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

seems sort of needless to gamble on Nylander being a center rather than just rolling something more like:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson/Kapanen-Kadri-Brown

on a play style front, Nylander is really good at gaining zone entry along the boards (especially the right boards), turning on the jets to get the defender moving towards his own goal line then changing directions quickly back towards the blueline with the puck under control leaving the defender moving in the wrong direction and giving Nylander lots of space to make a pass to the middle somewhere, and Matthews is one of the better players in the league at working inside the home plate area as a finisher. So personally I think it makes more sense to keep Matthews in the middle of the ice and Nylander on the RW, and that combo works well together because Nylander ends up gaining the zone and feeding the puck into the middle where Matthews is to generate chances

JT and Matthews are stylistically similar as well, both high volume shooters from high danger areas, so there might be a bit of a diminished return by putting them together - only so much HD area possession to go around

I am also pretty optimistic on Nylander's chances of being a center, just don't see the point of moving a sure-thing center to the wing to find out

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
"There's at least 6 teams where he (Kadri) would be a 3C and I think that's a conservative estimate".

PIT =
Crosby, Malkin, Kadri
WSH = Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Kadri
EDM = McDavid, Draisaitl, Kadri

Would you mind finishing the list?

Thanks
Boston, Tampa and Florida? St. Louis for sure. A case (not a very strong one) could be made for Winnipeg. Karlsson and Stastny looks decent for VGK and depending on your opinion of Kyle Turris, he could be 4C in Nashville.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
Kadri is a very important defensive player for us. Though I would probably do this deal, I am not itching to trade Kadri.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
5v5 points...

Marner 37
Hyman 35

So Hyman > Marner because 200 ft gritty player, right?

Reactions: Snowman

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Any trade for Trouba needs to include a right handed top 4 defender or it just creates a massive hole. Centers and wingers as the offer are pointless.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I dont think Babcock wants to play Willy at center this year and honestly neither do I as I want to watch Matthews and Nylander play together as they are amazing.

Well of course you make a kadri for slavin trade lol but I wouldn't trade Kadri for anything barring a huge overpayment which most of the offers the past few weeks haven't been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad