A pro Tank thread for the future of New York Rangers

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Jesus Christmas, Antii Niemi won the Cup.

And he beat a combo of Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher in the SCF. Hank watched the playoffs from his living room.

Goaltending doesn't matter that much, as much as we all love Hank.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Yeah, and he played great doing it
And outside of the playoffs hes average/mediocre. You dont need a Henrik Lundqvist to win a cup.
Look at 2 of the greatest goalies of this Generation: Bobby Lou and Hank, neither have a cup. While definitively worse goalie like Matt Murray and Corey Crawford have 4 cups. Like @Machinehead said Braden Holtby won a cup with the caps and he had a 907 save percentage last year and Philip Grubaurer was the starter for portions in the season.
You need a team around those goalies

Last edited:
Reactions: Machinehead

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
.907 save percentage last year, and he only played 54 games because his ass got benched.

He WAS bad. Like, really bad. And his team won the Stanley Cup.
Why don’t you post his playoff numbers or his previous career numbers, his Vezina? Oh yeah, because he’s a bad goalie.. what next

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Richter is a Stanley Cup champion, don’t see too many teams winning a cup with just a ‘good goalie’. If Shestyorkin can hold his jock I’d be shocked

List of cup winning goalies since the 04 lockout (guys who had the majority of playoff starts):
Ward
Giguere
Osgood
MAF
Niemi
Thomas
Quick x 2
Crawford x 2
Murray x 2
Holtby

As a list I'd say there's a lot of 'good' goalies on there, who managed to have one or two excellent seasons/playoff performances. They certainly aren't guys that you look at for the most part and think "future hall of famer", or even "Vezina winner" for the most part

Reactions: Irishguy42

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why don’t you post his playoff numbers or his previous career numbers, his Vezina? Oh yeah, because he’s a bad goalie.. what next
Didn't say he's always been a bad goalie. He's had a very fine career.

But his team won the Cup in easily his worst season. That speaks to how much goaltending really means.

Matter of fact, Hank had a pretty pedestrian 2014 by his standards and missed half of 2015 with an injury. I feel like we won awards those years or something...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The point is, Henrik isn't a good goaltender, he's a historic goaltender.

If we have to sit here and wonder where the next Hall of Famer is coming from, then we're probably not a very good team.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
List of cup winning goalies since the 04 lockout (guys who had the majority of playoff starts):
Ward
Giguere
Osgood
MAF
Niemi
Thomas
Quick x 2
Crawford x 2
Murray x 2
Holtby

As a list I'd say there's a lot of 'good' goalies on there, who managed to have one or two excellent seasons/playoff performances. They certainly aren't guys that you look at for the most part and think "future hall of famer", or even "Vezina winner" for the most part
Yeah, let me know when Georgy makes that list

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
No one is saying this is an overnight fix but you need core franchise pieces which you get most of the time by picking high

To paraphrase: all Cup-winning teams have multiple top-five picks, but not all top-five picks win a Cup.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Didn't say he's always been a bad goalie. He's had a very fine career.

But his team won the Cup in easily his worst season. That speaks to how much goaltending really means.

Matter of fact, Hank had a pretty pedestrian 2014 by his standards and missed half of 2015 with an injury. I feel like we won awards those years or something...
Again, post his playoff numbers, his one regular season was an anomaly

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
You think were talking about Alexander Georgiev??
We're talking about Igor Shestyrokin, who is considered the best goalie prospect by many people
He hasn’t played a single game and your going to compare him to cup winning goalies? Go for it

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Jesus Christmas, Antii Niemi won the Cup.

And he beat a combo of Michael Leighton and Brian Boucher in the SCF. Hank watched the playoffs from his living room.

Goaltending doesn't matter that much, as much as we all love Hank.

The days of “building from the net outward” are long gone. It’s easier to replace an entire position with one trade or pick than it is to put together a winning combination of 18 players.

Reactions: Machinehead

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
No one is, but your saying we need a henrik lundquvist caliber goalie to win a cup when that is flat out wrong
Unless we have a Crosby, Malkin, Letang or a Toews, Kane and Keith. Which we clearly don’t have a single one

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Unless we have a Crosby, Malkin, Letang or a Toews, Kane and Keith. Which we clearly don’t have a single one
Geeeeee I wonder how you get a player like one of those.
Beats me I guess they were one day just magically made Penguins and Blackhawks.
It's almost like there is a process which you go through to get good players, but I guess not

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Geeeeee I wonder how you get a player like one of those.
Beats me I guess they were one day just magically made Penguins and Blackhawks
Yeah, ONE of those, those team have 3 or 4 hall of famers. You think Chytil, Andersson and whoever we draft next year are going to make us cup contenders? Bah, good one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad