A pro Tank thread for the future of New York Rangers

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The poor management is a direct result of where this team is right now

You mean going for it when they were in a position to go for it?

Yeah, that was real dumb.. They almost won the cup because of it!

They've made dumb moves along the way, but they're as bad as they are now because they realized that they weren't good enough to win and decided to start over instead of trying to keep knocking on a door that wouldn't open.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
You mean going for it when they were in a position to go for it?

Yeah, that was real dumb.. They almost won the cup because of it!

They've made dumb moves along the way, but they're as bad as they are now because they realized that they weren't good enough to win and decided to start over instead of trying to keep knocking on a door that wouldn't open.
The biggest mistake this management group made was not tearing it down after 2016.
If they traded McD, Zuc, Stepan, Nash and Brassard then the value woulda been a lot higher.
Instead they tried to go with this core again by trading Smith for what became a top 35 pick and then after losing again signing him and shatty to 4 year deals.
But this last year no complaints, we've got a solid future foundation just need to get the star power high in the draft

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Huh?

Tampa is stacked because they drafted Stamkos 1OA and Hedman 2OA along with hitting on some guys later (Kucherov in the 2nd, Point in the 3rd, etc.) Point is, they had those picks that you for what ever reason, don't think its a good idea to go after (They also got Sergachev for a former 3OA, but thats neither here nor there.)

McDonagh's been great so far this year, but Millers bascially playing the role of Namesnikov on that team this year. Even you could produce points if you got PP time with Tampa.

Nash has not turned into Strome, the pick we got from Boston was actually used to trade up to take K'Andre Miller who leads his team in scoring (as a D mind you) and Lindgren who is down in the A.

Staal is not our best D. He sucks.

Zucc has been our most productive forward, but he hasn't been our best forward for a while now. Stepan and Brassard were better until they left, Zibanejad, Kreider and others were better last year and so far this year.

Management has done some dumb things over the years (extending G and Staal, letting Yandle walk for nothing, trading for Eric Staal, not trading Zucc 2 summers ago) but over the last few months, the early returns say that they've done pretty ****ing well.

And no first rounders in years? They've had 5 in the last 2!
We also sent them Stralman and Callahan and Boyle, that’s 5 pretty good depth players over the years. The point is our management put us in this position in the first place and it’s going to take years to climb out without the King there to hold the fort

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The biggest mistake this management group made was not tearing it down after 2016.
If they traded McD, Zuc, Stepan, Nash and Brassard then the value woulda been a lot higher.
Instead they tried to go with this core again by trading Smith for what became a top 35 pick and then after losing again signing him and shatty to 4 year deals.
But this last year no complaints, we've got a solid future foundation just need to get the star power high in the draft

I don't even think Shatty was a bad signing. He came in under what people though he would get on a reasonable term. It's not like we're locked into him for another 5 years, he's out in 2 after this one and his NTC is limited, so perhaps he'll be out even sooner.

They had deals lined up for McD and Stepan after 2016 but they didn't follow through for one reason or another. Brass did go that summer though.

I think they handled Nash well. Not sure how much more he would have returned in 2016 and we did pretty well there as it is. No complaints what so ever with that one. Both of the trades with boston last year may end up bearing the greatest fruit from our deadline deals (Nash pick was used with the Devils pick to get Miller, Holden pick turned into Keane.)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We also sent them Stralman and Callahan and Boyle, that’s 5 pretty good depth players over the years. The point is our management put us in this position in the first place and it’s going to take years to climb out without the King there to hold the fort

We didn't send them Stralman or Boyle, they left as free agents and signed with Tampa. Boyle isn't even there anymore and Callahan is an expensive 4th liner.

Between that and the no first rounders in years comment, are you speaking to us from 2016?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
We didn't send them Stralman or Boyle, they left as free agents and signed with Tampa. Boyle isn't even there anymore and Callahan is an expensive 4th liner.

Between that and the no first rounders in years comment, are you speaking to us from 2016?
However you want to slice it, it’s bad management

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I don't even think Shatty was a bad signing. He came in under what people though he would get on a reasonable term. It's not like we're locked into him for another 5 years, he's out in 2 after this one and his NTC is limited, so perhaps he'll be out even sooner.

They had deals lined up for McD and Stepan after 2016 but they didn't follow through for one reason or another. Brass did go that summer though.

I think they handled Nash well. Not sure how much more he would have returned in 2016 and we did pretty well there as it is. No complaints what so ever with that one. Both of the trades with boston last year may end up bearing the greatest fruit from our deadline deals (Nash pick was used with the Devils pick to get Miller, Holden pick turned into Keane.)
Shattenkirk is a fine signing, but with the direction this team is going it doesn't make too much sense anymore
Also yea I wonder where this team would be right now if we had dealt Stepan and McDonagh in 2016

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Stralman was for sure, but Boyle didn't want to come back and trading Callahan was a massive win.
The Callahan trade was not a massive win, when St.Lois retired they had virtually equal point totals from the time of their trade. Tampa also got 2 first round picks that they’ve turned into 4 assets, Callahan is still a valuable player and we have nothing at all from that trade

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Callahan trade was not a massive win, when St.Lois retired they had virtually equal point totals from the time of their trade. Tampa also got 2 first round picks that they’ve turned into 4 assets, Callahan is still a valuable player and we have nothing at all from that trade

We don't have Callahan on his ridiculous contract.

Thats a massive win.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So having all the young guys getting used to losing is your answer. Take a look at Edmonton cuz that’s what happens when you keep hoping a high draft pick will magically make it all better. This team needs to draft well, make smart trades and get a great coach. None of those pieces are in place

I dont get it. There's no guarantee that just two bad seasons will kill morale. I dont think that's how it works. EDM is the exception. They're dysfunctional and incompetent from top to bottom. They draft horribly, they dont develop prospects, they f*** up FA signings and trades.

It's about way more than them losing for 2 seasons and having it snowball

We've seen so many teams lose for a season or two and then turn it around so I dont understand why you're making this argument

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

You're not taking into account that MSL is off our books and has been for some time, while Callahan is still making 6.5M a year to be a 4th liner.

After a long series of trades on draft day, the Lightning turned those picks into Dominik Masin, Jonathan MacLeod, Mitchell Stephens, and Anthony Cirelli. That's not four assets, that's one asset, and he's a 4th liner.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I dont get it. There's no guarantee that just two bad seasons will kill morale. I dont think that's how it works. EDM is the exception. They're dysfunctional and incompetent from top to bottom. They draft horribly, they dont develop prospects, they **** up FA signings and trades.

It's about way more than them losing for 2 seasons and having it snowball

We've seen so many teams lose for a season or two and then turn it around so I dont understand why you're making this argument
The thing that worries me most is Hank. When he’s gone then what? Edmonton hasn’t had a goalie in years. Talbot carried them for 1 year and took them to the playoffs but hasn’t been good since. It’s not a coincidence

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The thing that worries me most is Hank. When he’s gone then what? Edmonton hasn’t had a goalie in years. Talbot carried them for 1 year and took them to the playoffs but hasn’t been good since. It’s not a coincidence

We have a 22 year-old prospect already in the NHL and another who is widely considered the best goaltender outside the NHL. It's the last position I'm worried about.

Edmonton hasn't had a goaltender for years because they're incompetent, and literally have no talent on their team outside of 1OA picks that my dog could have made. And I mean my dumb dog, not the smart one.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
We have a 22 year-old prospect already in the NHL and another who is widely considered the best goaltender outside the NHL. It's the last position I'm worried about.

Edmonton hasn't had a goaltender for years because they're incompetent, and literally have no talent on their team outside of 1OA picks that my dog could have made. And I mean my dumb dog, not the smart one.
Well you have more confidence in our goalie prospects than I do that’s for sure. And if you think Andersson has talent then you must’ve missed tonight’s game

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Furthermore, we've needed Hank because we've had to -at many times- rely on historic goaltending.

If we can't get by on good goaltending when this rebuild is over, we f***ed it up. We shouldn't need another Hank.

Prime Richter was an excellent goalie, but nobody will accuse him of being a Hall of Famer or a Vezina winner. I would be completely shocked if Shestyorkin doesn't turn into that at least.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Furthermore, we've needed Hank because we've had to -at many times- rely on historic goaltending.

If we can't get by on good goaltending when this rebuild is over, we ****ed it up. We shouldn't need another Hank.

Prime Richter was an excellent goalie, but nobody will accuse him of being a Hall of Famer or a Vezina winner. I would be completely shocked if Shestyorkin doesn't turn into that at least.
Richter is a Stanley Cup champion, don’t see too many teams winning a cup with just a ‘good goalie’. If Shestyorkin can hold his jock I’d be shocked

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Richter is a Stanley Cup champion, don’t see too many teams winning a cup with just a ‘good goalie’. If Shestyorkin can hold his jock I’d be shocked
A team just won the Stanley Cup with a bad goalie.

Hotbly has been brutal since the 2017 playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad