Post-Game Talk: A nice bounce.back

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think its a bs suspension and not the spirit of the rule. But Nurse makes so many bad decisions. Its even worse when Draisaitl was telling him to not worry about it.
Kostin and everybody else listened, Nurse didn't, I'm not entirely surprised. Kind of looks stupid in retrospect Nurse bouncing of the ice on cloud nine after he just bagged himself a possible suspension. Any other time to have this fight, of course would've been better.

So heres how it plays out. At best we get matching or two game suspension for Pietrangelo, who in effect with the Nurse suspension saw off got a free and clear hard slash on Leons wrist, we get no benefit now from that, and Vegas do because the tradeoff losing Petro and Nurse is beneficial for them as they can replace their D. We can't. Nurse is one of our few guys that is supposed to be chomping game minutes.

Kane is the next player unfortunately running redline and needs to watch it in game 5. Right or wrong officials don't much like players that get these things started and Kane will again be on close watch. With a long history.

make no mistake either Kane was the one riling Nurse up. They were tag team jawing Knights between whistles and getting into it as a tandem all series.

I've defended Kane lots on this board, and everytime, but when Kane starts to get overheated I suspect he starts to lose his better judgement. Kane is leadership too on this team and needs to remember that too.

Reactions: Stoneman89

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Perros suddenly against 2 guys fighting, and dislikes that someone challenged on the faceoff would oblige.

Kidding, we know it's not anything about that. It's about the even up and being a coward like this league usually is.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Vegas's pairs without Pietrangelo =

Martinez - Theodore
McNabb - Whitecloud
Hague - X (?)

Oilers pairs without Nurse =

Ekholm - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Desharnais

I hate to say it, but I think we need Nurse alot more than they need Pietrangelo.

They have Ben Hutton. I take Broberg all day long over Hutton. Ekholm and Kulak will see double duty, Broberg 12 mins. The issue will be matchups with Vegas getting the last change but Broberg is fine with transporting and moving the puck. I think for one game we will be fine.

Petro on the other hand should miss the entire series for attempting to injure.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
True. That's fair. But then why did a fight like this, in the last 5 minutes where one player didn't want to fight, get rescinded?

How do these two decisions make sense?

I can't get into the NHL Department of Non-Safety's head, but the only difference I can see is this one happened about 2 seconds after the board hit, and was directly between the purpetrator of the hit and a guy 3 feet away.

The issue I have is that you can't give the officials low hanging fruit to make a judgement call, and that is exactly what Nurse did. Much to Hague and Vegas's delight.

Seixeiro is the NHL's programmable drumming monkey, him taking a side one way or the other is worrisome.
I like his take on this though.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Broberg was +1 in the 5 1 loss. I've wanted him to get minutes for a while. Hope he comes up big next game.
It will be a big test. Broberg is not nurse but I think this game ek gets a ton of minutes to compensate, which is workable for one game.

Broberg needs to step up. Hopefully he can!!

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
True. That's fair. But then why did a fight like this, in the last 5 minutes where one player didn't want to fight, get rescinded?

How do these two decisions make sense?

At risk of getting myself flayed on here, a few things on this:

1) 2015 was 8 years ago. Much as we all hate to admit it that isn't recent.
2) This video is pretty clearly a case of DoPS getting this wrong. No way that should have been rescinded and no way this clip should be precedent of anything other than a bad call.

Look, Darnell went into that last night looking to pick a fight. I am not that personally bothered by his decision here but it's a pretty clear instigator penalty and if you do that in the last 5 minutes you're risking a suspension. It is what it is and I assume the team will want to win the next one for the guy.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Vegas's pairs without Pietrangelo =

Martinez - Theodore
McNabb - Whitecloud
Hague - X (?)

Oilers pairs without Nurse =

Ekholm - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Desharnais

I hate to say it, but I think we need Nurse alot more than they need Pietrangelo.
They have Hutton, but need to fill a RHD, so it might be Korczak or Pachal a couple of kids.

Honestly, Broberg is better than all 3 and Pietro probably means more to the overall knights team than Nurse does to the overall Oilers team.

Edit: Not that this should be a discussion, because it's Bullshit call on Nurse and Pietro deserves a suspension.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Not sure what you mean? He came flying in from the blueline and started throwing punches. If that isn't an instigator call I'm not sure what is.

Some people on here wanted to not re-sign Ryan for next year, citing his age. I think, as long as he still has his wheels, his brain and hockey IQ will carry him forward for a while. I think he's a must sign for next year as well.
If anyone thinks that Nurse came "flying in" they probably need to re-watch the play. The Vegas player started throwing the first nine punches.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
You knew that was coming.
It may be the rule.. but it doesn't make any sense.

Absolutely not in the spirit of the rule. The refs should know better than give in instigator in that situation.

Nurse and Woodcroft should also know better.
It did not, I assume they're going to gutlessly drop the info during the game or something to try to keep it quiet.
Just another display of incompetent officiating.

Reactions: TB12 and Faelko

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

They have Ben Hutton. I take Broberg all day long over Hutton. Ekholm and Kulak will see double duty, Broberg 12 mins. The issue will be matchups with Vegas getting the last change but Broberg is fine with transporting and moving the puck. I think for one game we will be fine.

kulak has been playing so good that losing nurse for a game isnt that big of an impact to the oilers. Expecting a tightly reff'd game our PP is still intact and ekholm is capable of playing 30 if needed. teh VGK powerplay already sucks, losing their #1 dman for a game or 2 is brutal for them.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

And if Nurse or Kane had done the spear that Theodore did on Kostin they’d likely be sitting a game as well.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Totally disagree. If you have two guys who are already engaged and roughing each other up, and a fight breaks out, that's one thing and happens all the time during the course of games. This was completely different. What Nurse did was the very definition of instigating.
PVR is great to use, you can re-watch plays and see what happened.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The Pietrangelo ruling will be more about agitating the Oilers fan base than the actual infraction.
13581897_web1_WEB-Bettman-Apr06-20.jpg

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
PVR is great to use, you can re-watch plays and see what happened.

Sure, and if you do that you can clearly see Nurse pick his target and glide in from a good 15 feet away with no intentions of anything other than picking a fight.

You can make a case that some of the outlined reasons for upholding the automatic suspension don't apply(Oilers were winning, most obviously) but it's about as clear an instigator penalty as you can get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad