Post-Game Talk: A nice bounce.back

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Sure, and if you do that you can clearly see Nurse pick his target and glide in from a good 15 feet away with no intentions of anything other than picking a fight.

You can make a case that some of the outlined reasons for upholding the automatic suspension don't apply(Oilers were winning, most obviously) but it's about as clear an instigator penalty as you can get.

Now add in the fact that Hague asked him to fight.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I love this negative attention the league is getting from the media about this. No one is supporting the decision to uphold the one game suspension and shitting on it, as Serevalli just did.

The reason I love it...the league painted themselves in a corner and basically has to give Saltpietr (thanks @VainGretzky lol) multiple games or the league is going to have a real black eye from this.

Then again, if anyone in the history of mankind has ever shown publicly he gives zero f***s, it's Gary Bettman.

Reactions: iCanada

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Sure, and if you do that you can clearly see Nurse pick his target and glide in from a good 15 feet away with no intentions of anything other than picking a fight.

You can make a case that some of the outlined reasons for upholding the automatic suspension don't apply(Oilers were winning, most obviously) but it's about as clear an instigator penalty as you can get.
Hague started throwing punches first

and you have no idea what his "intent" was...they literally were bear hugging first....it's not like Nurse skated down and jumped him and started throwing punches

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Vegas's pairs without Pietrangelo =

Martinez - Theodore
McNabb - Whitecloud
Hague - X (?)

Oilers pairs without Nurse =

Ekholm - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Desharnais

I hate to say it, but I think we need Nurse alot more than they need Pietrangelo.
Not sure, Theodore has been atrocious and if he has to play an extra 5-10 minutes a game, that's really bad for them. Their X is probably about the same as VD. I think their entire right side is massively sus once AP is gone and I think he will be gone for more than 1 game.

This is bad news for Vegas. I think if you lean on our top four for the extra time and give Broberg/VD like an extra minute or two, we come out better than them.

Reactions: CornKicker

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

Martinez - Theodore
McNabb - Whitecloud
Hague - X (?)

Ekholm - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Desharnais

I hate to say it, but I think we need Nurse alot more than they need Pietrangelo.
Personally, I would not split up Ekholm - Bouchard and move Kulak with Ceci

Is Ryan Murray healthy lol?

Not sure how I would feel having two rookies on the third pairing.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Ceci
Murray - Desharnais

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Martinez - Theodore
McNabb - Whitecloud
Hague - X (?)

Ekholm - Ceci
Kulak - Bouchard
Broberg - Desharnais

For an extended period of time then I would agree. For just one game...not an issue.

Just look at game 6 last season against the Kings. Oilers closed it out without Nurse AND with no Ekholm. Did just fine.
This defence is much better without Nurse than last years defence was.

An alternate scenario would be to give Ekholm and Bouchard the heavy minutes and Ceci and Kulak 2nd pairing minutes.
Chop down the 3rd pairing minutes to under 10 and I dont see much of an issue for 1 game.

Especially if the forwards play the same O zone pressure / D zone shutdown game they played in game 4.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
My hatred for Vegas went up another notch after last night. I"m guessing the players feel the same way. Last night is the type of game where it will bring this team closer together. It's been a back and forth series.. but hopefully last night's game and all the shananigans will keep the Oilers heavily motivated and on the gas pedal for Game 5 in Vegas. This Oiler team is big and tough and physical now... they can play both the heavy game and the skill game as well. But the sad part is that sometimes they don't bring their A game (like in Games 1 and 3)... but after last night.. I'm not worried about them not giving full effort and their A game the rest of this series.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
True. That's fair. But then why did a fight like this, in the last 5 minutes where one player didn't want to fight, get rescinded?

How do these two decisions make sense?

That’s the Canucks, lol. Their players always get away with shit. Don’t know about now but that’s how it used to be

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think with Nurse being suspended, the Oilers will bring their A+ game to Vegas tomorrow. Meanwhile Vegas seems to be doing a slow burn and crying about everything, led by Alex "Chasing the Money" Pietroangelo and Mark "Miracle Cure" Stone. These 2 whine and snivel after every whistle to the refs, Stone in particular with that Tucker Carlson confused look on his face. The guy is such a piece of crap.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Vegas will be flying in circles till game time tomorrow

They will accidentally land in Las Vegas New Mexico, blame the Oilers and Gary will default the game to Vegas and award Calgary our next five 3rd round draft picks.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If Petro gets one game.

VD knows what to do next game.

Aim for Eichel's wrists

Correction. Eichel's been the tougher matchup this round.

People about to realize what Nurse means to this team...Although im hoping the team can rise up for one game and reduce the damage.

I know it's only one game but last time this happened the team did okay with Kulak taking his spot 24 hours before coming a dad.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
So if Drai suffered a serious injury on that play Pie needs to sit the rest of this series. Even if he didn’t Pie should sit the rest of the series he could have just cost the Oilers our shot at a cup this season :mad:

Hopefully this is just woody stoking the flames of DOPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
For an extended period of time then I would agree. For just one game...not an issue.

Just look at game 6 last season against the Kings. Oilers closed it out without Nurse AND with no Ekholm. Did just fine.

An alternate scenario would be to give Ekholm and Bouchard the heavy minutes and Ceci and Kulak 2nd pairing minutes.
Chop down the 3rd pairing minutes to under 10 and I dont see much of an issue for 1 game.

Especially if the forwards play the same O zone pressure / D zone shutdown game they played in game 4.
I suspect that you'll just see that third pairing get sheltered and the other two play beefy minutes. For a single game (and a fresh Nurse coming back) that is probably not a huge risk.

I suspect the biggest risk will come from just odds of circumstances not giving third pairing almost any opportunity and you have a pairing that needs to stay out because the other hasn't recovered enough yet and then get hemmed in their own zone.

Reactions: Ibanez

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

Especially if the forwards play the same O zone pressure / D zone shutdown game they played in game

Predict that Pietroangelo gets fined and the Oilers forfeit a draft pick.
pietrangelo will get 1 game for the slash and drai will get 3 for embellishment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad