Post-Game Talk: A nice bounce.back

BeanBurrito

Nov 8, 2018
If anyone thinks that Nurse came "flying in" they probably need to re-watch the play. The Vegas player started throwing the first nine punches.
This, if I remember correctly, Hague was approaching another Oiler and Nurse fairly casually cruised over and grabbed him, Hague immediately started throwing punches. Nurse almost seemed caught off guard at first.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
For an extended period of time then I would agree. For just one game...not an issue.

Just look at game 6 last season against the Kings. Oilers closed it out without Nurse AND with no Ekholm. Did just fine.
This defence is much better without Nurse than last years defence was.

An alternate scenario would be to give Ekholm and Bouchard the heavy minutes and Ceci and Kulak 2nd pairing minutes.
Chop down the 3rd pairing minutes to under 10 and I dont see much of an issue for 1 game.

Especially if the forwards play the same O zone pressure / D zone shutdown game they played in game 4.

Ekholm will play 30 minutes, Kulak 20.

Ekholm will be mostly with Bouchard and some other minutes with the other 2.

PK 1 Ceci-Ekholm
PK 2 Kulak VD

For one game it will be fine as long as the forwards are committed to supporting in the Dzone.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
As much as we want revenge and blood in the streets, cooler heads will prevail, our boys will be pissed off but extremely motivated, will play it hard but semi clean, and send the league a big FU by beating Vegas tomorrow.
Light em up on the forecheck….for the whole game….wills and composure will be broken.

Reactions: guymez and 5 14 6 1

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
There’s a 4’x8‘ poster of Skinner‘s roster headshot picture on Connors/Scona road which is kind awesome. Any reason behind it? And any others throughout town?

Last edited:

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
There’s a 4’x8” poster of Skinner‘s roster headsgot picture on Connors/Scona road which is kind awesome. Any reason behind it? And any others throughout town?
They must have really stretched his face out in that one. Widest moustache ever.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hague started throwing punches first

and you have no idea what his "intent" was...they literally were bear hugging first....it's not like Nurse skated down and jumped him and started throwing punches
We can disagree on who threw the first punch or asked someone for date or whatever. The issue for me is that Nurse put knowingly put himself in a position where his actions would be at the referees discretion (right or wrong), and voila, here we are.

Reactions: Kinibo

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
We can disagree on who threw the first punch or asked someone for date or whatever. The issue for me is that Nurse put knowingly put himself in a position where his actions would be at the referees discretion (right or wrong), and voila, here we are.
It reminds me a bit of Leon's tap on Doughty.

I think it was a silly call but he also doesn't need to gift the ref any ammo for penalizing him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
players put themselves is bad positions in the final minutes of games all the time

did you watch the end of the Leafs-Panthers game? Sam Bennett was feeding Marner shots and that was more of an "instigator" then what Nurse did

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I think it's forgivable considering he probably didn't think an instigator was even a possibility when you consider the back and fourth between them before the fight, he didn't drop the gloves first, he didn't throw the first punch, and there was no triggering event leading to the fight (99% of instigators I've ever seen are in immediate response to something).

Frankly it was a f***ing bullshit instigator call to begin with. The benefit of hindsight says he should have been smarter, but that was as flaky an instigator call as you'll ever see, especially in the last 5 mins. The refs knew exactly what the consequence of that would be, but they still decided to make a flaky call. BS.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Parros once upon a time wanted more punishment for slashing AND non-hockey infractions. Pietro checked both boxes on what Perros came in insisting he wanted out of the game.

Parros has been the worst at this job by far but it’s clear the Bettman Old Boys Mafioso really runs the show.

Fair enough but you can’t equate the punishment he received for his actions with a premeditated attempt to injure on the top player in the playoffs. Suspend Nurse a game but Pietrangelo should have received 2-3 games regardless if Draisaitl was injured or not.

Reactions: TB12

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Parros has been the worst at this job by far but it’s clear the Bettman Old Boys Mafioso really runs the show.

Fair enough but you can’t equate the punishment he received for his actions with a premeditated attempt to injure on the top player in the playoffs. Suspend Nurse a game but Pietrangelo should have received 2-3 games regardless if Draisaitl was injured or not.
agreed. To me? it's a clear 3 game suspension, he forfeited his right to play another game in this series when he attempted to injure Draisaitl. Dreger actually said he believes Pietrangelo was aiming for Draisaitl's equipment padding (elbow pad or shoulder pad ) so as to send a message, but not injure him. Seriously? that's insane.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
players put themselves is bad positions in the final minutes of games all the time

did you watch the end of the Leafs-Panthers game? Sam Bennett was feeding Marner shots and that was more of an "instigator" then what Nurse did
I don't remember him fighting Marner. But if Bennett started a fight and got away with it, he's lucky. The point is, "Do you want to take that chance and see if one of the refs interprets it that way" Or do you want to accept that Pietrangelo will likely get a suspension and you'll be free to go after undermanned Vegas next game and then go after Hague during the game?

I think it's forgivable considering he probably didn't think an instigator was even a possibility when you consider the back and fourth between them before the fight, he didn't drop the gloves first, he didn't throw the first punch, and there was no triggering event leading to the fight (99% of instigators I've ever seen are in immediate response to something).

Frankly it was a f***ing bullshit instigator call to begin with. The benefit of hindsight says he should have been smarter, but that was as flaky an instigator call as you'll ever see, especially in the last 5 mins. The refs knew exactly what the consequence of that would be, but they still decided to make a flaky call. BS.
Why do you think Hague had that sloppy stupid grin on his face after they got seperated? Because he was glad Nurse lost his cool and came after him and would likely get nailed with an instigator.

Reactions: guymez

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It reminds me a bit of Leon's tap on Doughty.

I think it was a silly call but he also doesn't need to gift the ref any ammo for penalizing him.
EXACTLY my point. Why tempt fate? You have the game wrapped up in a bow, you've pummelled the shit out of Vegas, you are likely going to have one of their best players suspended at least one game, and Drai came through it unscathed. Play smart, and there will be a good time and place to extract whatever you want. Now, you've given the NHL the opportunity to "even things out" for both teams in their warped sense of judgement.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For sure....thats really the bottom line.
If Nurse would have used better judgement the team could have avoided being shorthanded in this game.

Still...Im more irritated at Parros than I am at Nurse.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad