Confirmed with Link: **A LOOK BACK ** Penguins sign Jack Johnson 5 years 16.25 total (3.25 cap hit)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Asss bah gonna makas Sully, and I gonna sake a sully, and a group guys got em an I’m gonna miss every body I don’t play yang and wang n I got dis dis nang I don’t play destiny and I gotta say dis sway

source.gif

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Sid tampered by being friends with him a decade and a half ago?

Cool story.

Did Crosby tell him to suck last year to tank to come to the Pens too?

Sid did get rid of four coaches on his own though :sarcasm:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

At this point, I don't know what to think of Johnson's strengths and weaknesses. I'm hearing so much different stuff from so many different places that I'm just going to wait and see what he can provide here.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

At this point, I don't know what to think of Johnson's strengths and weaknesses. I'm hearing so much different stuff from so many different places that I'm just going to wait and see what he can provide here.

Sane rational reactions such as this one are not welcome here.

We demand a snap judgment filled with unreasonable absolutes. It can be pro or con but must be over the top.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
The money is great, term not so much but by 5 years time, JJ will either be taken in the expansion draft or our team will be mediocre as hell anyways.

I have confidence Martin and Gonch can turn him around. Hunwick was a different story. Small PMD who's been a healthy scratch on and off his entire career. Was a bad deal the moment it was announced. Johnson is a better hockey player. All we need for him to be is a serviceable bottom pairing guy who can fill in the top4 if/when injuries occur. Kinda like Cole before this past season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The money is great, term not so much but by 5 years time, JJ will either be taken in the expansion draft or our team will be mediocre as hell anyways.

I have confidence Martin and Gonch can turn him around. Hunwick was a different story. Small PMD who's been a healthy scratch on and off his entire career. Was a bad deal the moment it was announced. Johnson is a better hockey player. All we need for him to be is a serviceable bottom pairing guy who can fill in the top4 if/when injuries occur. Kinda like Cole before this past season.

Isles just lost their franchise pivot and signed a guy that is so ass,(Komo) that he makes me appreciate Kunitz.

We really have little to complain about when we look at the big picture. JJ may be needed in a top four role, but we’ll see. Either way, term doesn’t matter, not sure why people are sweating that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I hope he brings not only a physical game but goes back to some of those stand-up-at-the-blueline hits that I remember him doing years ago. Between he and Oleksiak teams should be real careful coming through center ice or cutting across the blueline, at least if our forwards are providing sufficient back pressure.

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
I'm of the "wait and see" on this one, with some optimism.

As many have stated, JJ at 3.25 is wayyy better Ian Cole at 4.25, an as we've seen with Hunwick GMJR isn't afraid to rectify a mistake.

The Penguins were obligated as professionals to do their due diligence and watch hours of video of JJ and make sure he's good fit prior to their investment, This was likely someone they've targeted for a long time due to the defensive group being inadequate (AKA forcing either Hunwick or Ruhwedel as a top-6 D in the playoffs)

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Big risk, gigantic reward. If Johnson goes the way of Schultz, we have a #2 defenseman for a bargain price.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Didn’t you call the Dumo signing last summer “Scuds level bad”?

I know instant overreaction and being offended is what all the kool kids are doing, but maybe just wait things out.

In fairness, I think that poster just bases his opinions on Corsica hockey. He'd give Ryan Wilson a run for his money, so I'm pretty sure his opinion on players has less to do with actually what he sees of them, and more to do with what the spreadsheet tells him.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
JJ looks so happy. Good to see him getting a good hockey wage now and a fresh start.

I said that in the main Free Agency thread.

I wasnt a fan of his term at first.

But after listening to Emp and seeing this Conference. f*** it.

He looks so happy to be here and after what his parents did to him I'm glad he gets some money.

He can snap the first pass, skate, and hit. Ya he doenst make the best decisions all the time. Neither does Letang and hes a top 5 dman in the league.

Plus he had leadership. I mean he wore the A in Col for a reason.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
Jimmy's mouth is writing checks the players are going to have to cash cause I guarantee you Torts won't let that pass.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I mean, what is Kekalainen supposed to say there? He really didn't have another option.

I feel like Johnson was a healthy scratch late in the season last year because he asked for a trade, which is similar to why Cole was scratched by Sullivan.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
One thing that's lost in all this complaining about Johnson's analytics is, he's still a proven top four blueliner who will likely be our #5 this year. Maybe Johnson's a guy who will be eaten alive if he's on your top pairing, but he won't be in that spot (unless Sullivan loses it).

Reminds me bit over the hysteria about trading for Riley Sheahan. Sheahan proved that, in a specific role, he's fine just as long as he's not playing above what he's capable of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad