Confirmed with Link: **A LOOK BACK ** Penguins sign Jack Johnson 5 years 16.25 total (3.25 cap hit)

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
A lot of guys you see in the NHL with some size really don't seem to amount to much when they're interviewed... But this dude absolutely looks like his recorded 6'1 220+ line. I'm 6'2, hover around 205, and am no stranger to the gym- and often times when I see an NHL'er who's allegedly around the same I wonder where the hell they get the numbers (happens frequently in the NBA..I ran into Glen Davis of the Celtics who was supposed to be 6'10 and was no more than 2-3" taller than me). Not the case here this guy looks jacked.

In any case, the term has been beaten to death and I'm sure it won't be the last time we gripe about it - but for the price defensemen continue to go for this has turned around a bit...at least it should. When Cole goes out and makes over 4M a season you've got to see the writing on the wall. Inflation is happening folks - and as the cap continues to rise it'll continue. Either get used to it or be ready to complain every summer.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Does it seem like the GMJK is throwing it all on Torts by saying coaches decision? Reading to much into it probably.

Seems like he is playing it off. Like he doesnt want to admit it wasnt because JJ called out HC JT.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
What's Torts going to do? If we meet in the playoffs he'll try to rough us up and they'll lose, just like last time.

Yep...

First Columbus gotta get to the playoffs. They are gonna need Panarin for that. If they dont trade him.

Then if they meet us, try to rough us up and we will see who comes out on top.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I mean, what is Kekalainen supposed to say there? He really didn't have another option.

I feel like Johnson was a healthy scratch late in the season last year because he asked for a trade, which is similar to why Cole was scratched by Sullivan.

I'm not trolling here so I come in peace. I think everyone knew he was not coming back to the CBJ from day of last season. I doubt he was scratched because he asked for a trade. I think it was expected that he would be traded and he should have been traded at the trade deadline to at least get something in return for him. He might be mad that his scratches came after the trade deadline and he wasn't traded but the fact is the CBJ defense played much better after Ian Cole was added to the lineup. At that point Jack Johnson was no longer one of the 6 best D on the team. He was basically kept around as an insurance policy in case of injury.

Torts gave him an A after Dubinsky was stripped early season so he was considered part of the leadership here even with the almost certain likelihood that he was going to be gone by the end of the season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I believe Kekalainen.

I think JR is just trying to make himself look better after giving a healthy scratch a 5 year contract.

I wonder why you think that, after seeing how you've been screeching that this is the worst UFA contract ever handed out to anyone ever since the rumor started.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I believe Kekalainen.

I think JR is just trying to make himself look better after giving a healthy scratch a 5 year contract.

That is total GM speak. Sounds to me like a trade request was made and he is in CYA mode. I have a hard time believing JR would say what he said without knowing something. Maybe discussions occurred between the two at deadline. The fact comments are being made leads me to believe that there is more to the story. Could be both are in CYA mode.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
That is total GM speak. Sounds to me like a trade request was made and he is in CYA mode. I have a hard time believing JR would say what he said without knowing something. Maybe discussions occurred between the two at deadline. The fact comments are being made leads me to believe that there is more to the story. Could be both are in CYA mode.

I have no doubt that JJ probably thinks that, he might of even told JR that.

All players think they should be playing, that's just how they are wired.

But I have a very hard time thinking that a team isn't playing what it feels is its best players in the playoffs.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I mean am i suppose to think CBJ intentionally wasn't playing their best lineup in the playoffs?

Am I to believe that JR would throw this contract out so fast if he didn't think/know what was going on there? There is most definitely more to this story!!

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I've come up with a story I'm telling myself until the season.

1) In LA, they were possession monsters so SOMEONE had to be the worst rel%.
2) In CBJ he was played as a shutdown guy instead of an offensive guy.
3) He didn't want to be there last year so that's why he sucked. That happens.
4) Rutherford signed him for 5 years because....... I don't know why on that one....

Let's just hope that he's a star graduate from Gonchar's School of Reclaimed Defensemen.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I have no doubt that JJ probably thinks that, he might of even told JR that.

All players think they should be playing, that's just how they are wired.

But I have a very hard time thinking that a team isn't playing what it feels is its best players in the playoffs.

This is Torts we are talking about and a pending UFA who may have requested a trade. It is being called a 'coaches decision' not best lineup decision by the GM. I know I am giving JR a lot of credit, because I am not a big fan of the term, but I feel he deserves it.

Reactions: EightyOne

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I mean am i suppose to think CBJ intentionally wasn't playing their best lineup in the playoffs?

That doesn’t mean he’s not a good fit for Pittsburgh. Was Riley Sheahan a terrible hockey player after Detroit healthy scratched and cut his ice time? How about Matt Niskanen or Ian Cole or Big Rig, etc? Sometimes players run their course on a team, struggle, have a bad relationship with the coach.

Now that doesn’t mean this is a good contract (it’s not) or that there isn’t a fair amount of risk. Problem is all UFA defenders were getting silly money. I can buy the argument that JR shouldn’t have touched free agency for Dmen but after thinking more about this, I’m willing to let it play out a bit before freaking out.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Johnson looks absolutely ripped, holy cow. He looks like he should be a linebacker, not a hockey player :laugh:
I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to see him and Horny in a cage match.

Does it seem like the GMJK is throwing it all on Torts by saying coaches decision? Reading to much into it probably.
Another funny thing, with all the research the Pens did, I'm sure Sully called his buddy Torts for info on the situation.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
That doesn’t mean he’s not a good fit for Pittsburgh. Was Riley Sheahan a terrible hockey player after Detroit healthy scratched and cut his ice time? How about Matt Niskanen or Ian Cole or Big Rig, etc? Sometimes players run their course on a team, struggle, have a bad relationship with the coach.

Now that doesn’t mean this is a good contract (it’s not) or that there isn’t a fair amount of risk. Problem is all UFA defenders were getting silly money. I can buy the argument that JR shouldn’t have touched free agency for Dmen but after thinking more about this, I’m willing to let it play out a bit before freaking out.

Their are good hockey players who are bad fits.

Their are also bad hockey players who don't fit on any team.

I think JJ falls into the bad hockey players.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
As someone who came out at the beginning not happy about the signing, I will reserve judgement on whether JJ is a good hockey player or not until I see him with the Pens. It may be a terrible signing, an OK signing or a steal. No one on here will convince me one way or another any time soon. But keeping an open mind is something JR has earned from me at least. This just may be the deal that gets us another cup. Probably not but I will be watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad