Confirmed with Link: **A LOOK BACK ** Penguins sign Jack Johnson 5 years 16.25 total (3.25 cap hit)

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I have no doubt that JJ probably thinks that, he might of even told JR that.

All players think they should be playing, that's just how they are wired.

But I have a very hard time thinking that a team isn't playing what it feels is its best players in the playoffs.

Just like Phil wasn't one of the best American RW's in the world when Torts was running Team USA?

You really can't take anything for granted where Torts is concerned. There's a lot of things that go in to his decisions, and not all of them are who the best player is, or what gives his team the best chance to win.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I have no doubt that JJ probably thinks that, he might of even told JR that.

All players think they should be playing, that's just how they are wired.

But I have a very hard time thinking that a team isn't playing what it feels is its best players in the playoffs.

You mean like Bylsma playing Adams and Glass ahead of more talented guys? Believe it or not, coaches can make bad lineup decisions.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just like Phil wasn't one of the best American RW's in the world when Torts was running Team USA?

You really can't take anything for granted where Torts is concerned. There's a lot of things that go in to his decisions, and not all of them are who the best player is, or what gives his team the best chance to win.

That was Dean Lombardi's doing.

Lombardi wanted to make a tough team that was hard to play against.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You mean like Bylsma playing Adams and Glass ahead of more talented guys? Believe it or not, coaches can make bad lineup decisions.

Coaches make mistakes, but they don't purposely not play their best lineup in the playoffs.

What they believe in might be wrong, but coaches do what they believe gives them the best chance to win.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yea, to go with Jacob.. going from massively overused to not used at all, asking for a trade, plus Kekalainen has more incentive to deny it than JR has to make that up, in my opinion. Could be wrong, but there’s something obviously off there.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Was it a mistake for Tortorella to play Johnson 20 minutes a night before he scratched him? Or was he legitimately their 3rd best d-man and then one morning he was their 7th best.

Id say he was legit their 7th best D.
Jones
Werenski
Savard
Nutrivaara
Murray

Are all clearly better.

The final spot was between Cole and Johnson. And with Cole being a guy they traded for...they went with him.

Reactions: jvr32 and Andy99

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
CBJ had injuries to their def at the end of the year.

That's why their is differences in the ice time.

Once the playoffs started all their def were healthy which is why JJ got scratched.

The biggest CBJ regular season game of last year was the 2nd to last game against the Pens.

They needed 1 point to clinch a playoff spot and JJ played 12 minutes in a OT game.

He played 23 mins the last game against Nashville when CBJ were trying to lose to avoid the Pens in the playoffs.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Coaches make mistakes, but they don't purposely not play their best lineup in the playoffs.

What they believe in might be wrong, but coaches do what they believe gives them the best chance to win.

I will give you this. There was definitely an issue with JJ in Columbus to be scratched in the playoffs. And that in and of itself is troubling. And I have concerns but the Pens have risen above my concerns in the the recent past and found something in players that many gave no credence to, much as you are doing now, so I will defer to recent past experience against my better judgement, and give JR the benefit of the doubt.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I will give you this. There was definitely an issue with JJ in Columbus to be scratched in the playoffs. And that in and of itself is troubling. And I have concerns but the Pens have risen above my concerns in the the recent past and found something in players that many gave no credence to, much as you are doing now, so I will defer to recent past experience against my better judgement, and give JR the benefit of the doubt.

Like Pens and Caps is talking about who is JJ better then?

Werenski
Jones
Savard
Nutri
Murray
Cole

I know people might say JJ is better then Cole, but i'd take Cole over JJ and i'm not even a Cole fan.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Werenski
Jones
Savard
Nutri
Murray
Cole

I know people might say JJ is better then Cole, but i'd take Cole over JJ and i'm not even a Cole fan.

And Cole just got a 4.25 per contract. I guess the question is did you like the Pens D without Johnson and if no, what move would you have made instead of this one?

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yea, to go with Jacob.. going from massively overused to not used at all, asking for a trade, plus Kekalainen has more incentive to deny it than JR has to make that up, in my opinion. Could be wrong, but there’s something obviously off there.

Kekalainen also came off as super defensive in that, almost like he got caught and panicked. Him saying "I don't know what he's talking about" 3 times in 5 sentences is a dead giveaway that he's panicking.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Tortorella's comments sound unhinged.

“No one wishes anything bad to happen to him and his family. We wish him the best. But for him to put it the way he put it today is bullshit. And to have a general manager question our decision-making from three hours away, he must be a f***ing magician.”

“That’s what pisses me off,” he said. “He doesn’t have enough balls to call me back, because I’ve tried to get in touch with him. You don’t shit on an organization that’s done nothing but try to help you. We all know Jack has had some problems along the way here; it’s very well-chronicled. All we’ve done is try to f***ing help him.

Parting shots: Blue Jackets' John Tortorella angered by...

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
And Cole just got a 4.25 per contract. I guess the question is did you like the Pens D without Johnson and if no, what move would you have made instead of this one?

Yeah, i was fine with the Pens def.

After the Hunwick trade i would of tried to add a 6/7 def that can compete with Ruh for the # 6 def.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

“No one wishes anything bad to happen to him and his family. We wish him the best. But for him to put it the way he put it today is bull****. And to have a general manager question our decision-making from three hours away, he must be a ****ing magician.”

If what JR said wasn't true, I don't think Tortorella or Kekalainen would have reacted to this like this. But their reactions speak volumes for what JR was talking about.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

Werenski
Jones
Savard
Nutri
Murray
Cole

Cole obviously had issues with Sullivan but JJ did not have issues with Torts? And Cole is making $4.25m. I respect your position but the inflexibility of it is puzzling. The Pens just may be the best thing for JJ at this point in his career. It's possible, right?

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon

“No one wishes anything bad to happen to him and his family. We wish him the best. But for him to put it the way he put it today is bull****. And to have a general manager question our decision-making from three hours away, he must be a ****ing magician.”

“That’s what pisses me off,” he said. “He doesn’t have enough balls to call me back, because I’ve tried to get in touch with him. You don’t **** on an organization that’s done nothing but try to help you. We all know Jack has had some problems along the way here; it’s very well-chronicled. All we’ve done is try to ****ing help him.

Tortorella is such a pansy. be a little more professional, Tortsy. you probably wouldn't get as cranky and whiny as you did if what they said weren't true.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

“That’s what pisses me off,” he said. “He doesn’t have enough balls to call me back, because I’ve tried to get in touch with him. You don’t **** on an organization that’s done nothing but try to help you. We all know Jack has had some problems along the way here; it’s very well-chronicled. All we’ve done is try to ****ing help him.

Wow, Jack didn’t even say anything controversial. That team is never going anywhere.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
If what JR said wasn't true, I don't think Tortorella or Kekalainen would have reacted to this like this. But their reactions speak volumes for what JR was talking about.
i didn't like the signing, but i'm pulling extra hard for JMFJ to turn it around in Pittsburgh now that his old coach threw another tantrum about comments they made.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
of course RW is the first to jump towards saying Tortorella and Kekäläinen are in the right. does this fellow even enjoy watching the pens?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad