Confirmed with Link: **A LOOK BACK ** Penguins sign Jack Johnson 5 years 16.25 total (3.25 cap hit)

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I still don't know how I feel about this. JJ isn't as terrible as some are making him out to be, the price isn't bad, the term is a little long. Maybe a better alternative than a Reaves type player. He's not really a fighter, but he'll lay somebody out with a hit. I guess I'll wait and see how everything shakes out once the season starts. He may be a great fit. He may not be. Cautiously optimistic.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pens have never bought out a player, correct? We don’t have the money to drop on players like that which means he likely takes a young promising players spot ala Orpik and Scuds.
He'll be tradeable considering how low his cap hit likely seems by then. Everyone is tradeable.

Reactions: DegenX

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I still don't know how I feel about this. JJ isn't as terrible as some are making him out to be, the price isn't bad, the term is a little long. Maybe a better alternative than a Reaves type player. He's not really a fighter, but he'll lay somebody out with a hit. I guess I'll wait and see how everything shakes out once the season starts. He may be a great fit. He may not be. Cautiously optimistic.

Mixed emotions @DegenX. Like watching @ColePens drive off a cliff in my new Maserati.

P.S.: @ColePens won't get this . . . 80's reference.

Reactions: ColePens and DegenX

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Like him but surprised they couldn’t have dropped it to at least 4 years

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not worried about Johnson's term anymore, because let's look at the reality of it:

1. There's an expansion draft for Seattle within the next 3 years. It shouldn't be that difficult or expensive to pay Seattle to take Johnson, and I'm not sure you'd even have to pay them that much to take JJ. Johnson is better than a lot of the defensemen that were available in the expansion draft last year.
2. There's another lockout coming up, which will likely result in some compliance buyouts.
3. Unless Johnson really falls off, he'll still likely be tradeable. Defensemen who can play the minutes he does have value, even if he doesn't do particularly well in those minutes.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Absolute garbage deal. This is Hunwick level bad. There, I said the truth.
Johnson was dumpster fire last season and a 1 million d man at this stage of his career. and then 5 years?
Was this deal in Crosby's contract? Can't find any other plausible explanation...

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Well, I hoped Reaves and Hunwick would do well for us last summer too.
Doesn't change the fact they were awful deals.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Absolute garbage deal. This is Hunwick level bad. There, I said the truth.
Johnson was dumpster fire last season and a 1 million d man at this stage of his career. and then 5 years?
Was this deal in Crosby's contract? Can't find any other plausible explanation...

Ridiculous and near-hormonal over-reaction. 3.25 is pocket change, and he brings a some depth where we need it. It's not great and its not bad. It just is. Lets see what a change of scenery and some good coaching can do.

Reactions: radapex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad