Confirmed with Link: **A LOOK BACK ** Penguins sign Jack Johnson 5 years 16.25 total (3.25 cap hit)

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Ban this wanker @ColePens
I knew there was way more to the Jack Johnson beef in Columbus, just felt off when JJ was being all PR about it with his answers earlier. Then you find out there was definitely more to it. I am comfortable with him returning to form and now I am really curious as to what the issues were, hell I hope JJ just says it to really piss off Torts so he just loses his crap against us even more, it's always a blast, seriously, to see Torts lose his shit.

Sarge is supposedly very good at breaking down game tape and exploiting someone's strengths and playing up to them to minimize the weaknesses. If he's seen a ton of tape on JJ like JR's mentioned, I feel comfortable that JJ is going to succeed here.

Now if the team can punt Recchi, that'd be great.

Edit: Is Capfriendly now not showing stats anymore because of having adblock? Seriously? f*** them.

Offense wasn't JJ's problem, it was trying to make him more defensive without developing him to be that properly, that was.

I still think JJ is going to be fine when camp starts
and he gets more time with Sarge.

4hhf6d.jpg

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Very vindicating to read this thread back... Who possibly could have seen this coming.

Okay, so here's my main issue with Johnson and this contract.

JR has made a lot of mistakes - like any GM - since 2014. These include:

Hiring Johnston
Trading picks for Winnik
Trading Despres for Lovejoy
Trading a 1st for Perron
Signing Plotnikov
Trading down from a 1st for Reaves
Signing Hunwick
Signing Sheary to his big extension
Signing Niemi

But the thing is, those mistakes were easily fixed or at least mitigated.

Firing Johnston for Sullivan
Not resigning Winnik or Lovejoy
Trading Perron for a better fit
Trading Plotnikov, Reaves, Hunwick, Sheary, and Niemi

JR might be the best GM in the NHL at identifying f***ups and fixing them right away - even cutting his losses. It's one of the rrasons I want him to give Duclair a shot - if a player doesn't work Rutherford is very unsentimental and is willing to own up to his mistakes.

Johnson's contract just doesn't give us that flexibility. I don't think Johnson will succeed here for plenty of reasons stated above. I think he's been overrated for almost a decade and he fails both the numbers test (miserably) and the eye test. But unlike all those previous mistakes I don't see an easy way out if it doesn't work. If Johnson can't make it work here despite our mythical incredible defensive coaches, who the hell is going to want to trade for him? It's not just that I don't like Johnson, but it handicaps JR's greatest asset which is his willingness to admit a mistake and fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad