Post-Game Talk: A frustrating game

What to do with the roster?

• Total voters

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bad game, but I don't think it means a lot. That was an extra motivated opponent and they had a brand new coach, which may have made them hard to anticipate. Plus they were fresh and we were tired.

I do think that Knoblauch's systems failed, so this can be a chance to see him adjust.

For me it is D. Another top 6 forward? Leon, McDavid, Nuge, Hyman, Kane? It is not like we have a lot of money laying around under the sofa where we can afford another guy making top 6 money. IF our top 5 can not get it down with their collective pay cheques? That needs to be addressed and get guys who can get it done.
A top six forward would help, but the need is less than a D. A D addition would be more impactful, even a marginal upgrade

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Guy looks like he doesn’t give 2 f***s on the bench. Zero emotion
Big deal. Every player interviewed has spoken about how positive this trait is and his presence in the room and bench helping the club.

Just because someone isn’t red faced, fuming and spitting when they speak doesn’t mean they don’t “give 2 f***s”.

But I get it, some people also respond better to a screamer and yeller. I found when I was working when someone acted that way that I just tuned them out, they had zero positive influence in what I did or didn’t do.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Do you just hibernate and come out of the woodwork to attack the coach?
And do you come out just to defend the team?

They played like shit, the coach made bad decisions.

You think playing McDrai 5 of the last 6 minutes was smart in a game we aren’t going to win?

Big deal. Every player interviewed has spoken about how positive this trait is and his presence in the room and bench helping the club.

Just because someone isn’t red faced, fuming and spitting when they speak doesn’t mean they don’t “give 2 f***s”.

But I get it, some people also respond better to a screamer and yeller. I found when I was working when someone acted that way that I just tuned them out, they had zero positive influence in what I did or didn’t do.
Pretty much this, having a coach that acts like that can also cause your players to lose composure.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
My hope is that the org was wondering whether it needed a top 4 d, or whether they had an internal solution. Hopefully this Vinnie experiment has shown them it’s time to cough up the goods for Sean Walker

Reactions: Duke74

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Just tweaking things to see how whatever pegs in play will fit. Glad I fell asleep

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Vegas and LA were the must win games for playoff positioning and we couldn't get the job done.

Brown is a complete non factor and just isn't fast anymore.
Brown shouldn’t even be thought of as a roster spot at this point, he is nothing. I don’t buy that his value is in his PK play. Move Janmark to pp1, and play Gags in for Brown.

Reactions: fresh meat

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Aside from getting Gagner back in the lineup I’d like to see them drop Nuge down the 3C and put McLeod up on that top line.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lol yes it is.
How? Almost every new coach on a decent to good team has a new coach bump that boosts the team for a bit. Happens often. Once that calms down a bit you can really start to see how the coach really affects the team.
How is pointing that out an overreaction.
Or are we gonna try and argue that Woodcroft is a garbage coach and Knobloauch is a god

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
How? Almost every new coach on a decent to good team has a new coach bump that boosts the team for a bit. Happens often. Once that calms down a bit you can really start to see how the coach really affects the team.
Or are we gonna try and argue that Woodcroft is a garbage coach and Knobloauch is a god
They’re 28-8 under Knob…that’s almost half a season FFS
“New coach bumps” don’t last that long

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I get the whole playing McDrai for the last 5-6 minutes of the game, but I think it has negative consequences on a team morale.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Dude they lost after winning 8 straight and you immediately went off the ledge as well. It’s just who you are. Usually a “coaching bump” means a bad team plays well for 5-10 games… it doesn’t mean they completely dominate the league for more than 1/3rd of the season.

I get it we are on a 1 game losing streak. The sky is falling.

I think Woody is a good coach but not a great one. He let some bad habits fester and it ended up costing him his job. His success with the team wasn’t a “coaching bump” either.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Since 17-18 one of 97/29 has either won the Art Ross, or they have both finished within the top-5 in scoring. It is likely that neither happens this year. Are they worn down from carrying this team for years? Get them some real top-6 help ASAP Ken.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Meh. Kings were desperate and played well. I'm not sure it is realistic or even a good thing for the Oilers to go all out at this point of the season.

Being fresh/healthy going into the playoffs is a lot more important than winning these random games in Feb. The most concerning thing for me has been how many bad games McDavid and Draisaitl have had this year. Hopefully they can turn it up when it really matters.

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
McLeod, Holloway, and Perry were controlling the puck and creating good scoring chances. Swap Perry for Foegele, and nothing. And I didn't understand switching the defensive pairings when we were on a 16 game winning streak to being with?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I get the whole playing McDrai for the last 5-6 minutes of the game, but I think it has negative consequences on a team morale.

I've always considered them playing together a sign of trouble on the horizon.

I thought the second line was our best by far.

This is the first game I recall in a long time where our opponent built up and maintained a sizeable lead against them. I think they lost their script and like others mentioned. L.A just wanted it more.. like a lot more. Enough to break the Oilers defensive script.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Poll needs a 'shoot the f'in puck' option.

Opportunities were there for sure in this one, but they decide to pass pass pass instead. Why are they so allergic to shooting?

Reactions: RegDunlop

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Nuge really needs to dial up a game here. Its unacceptable to from scoring 40 goals to 12. Especially given he's being glued to McD and Hyman basically all season. Games like Kings and Vegas really magnify how little battle there is in his game. Kings were targeting Nuge on pk all night. Looking for turnovers. Nuge is losing puck battles at the peak of his life. He should have man strength by now.
Really unfair for McDavid to have to be stapled to him all year, but that usually happens to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: