Post-Game Talk: A frustrating game

What to do with the roster?

• Total voters

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Don't know how accurate it really is, but generally it shows how a game went. Deserve O Meter had us at like 50.2% or so lol. Had the game split

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Don't know how accurate it really is, but generally it shows how a game went. Deserve O Meter had us at like 50.2% or so lol. Had the game split

I’m sure the Deserve O Meter was 75% LA to 25% EDM half way through the game. We ended up creating more chances in that latter half but LA did a good job of keeping us on the perimeter and limiting those prime opportunities. We need to show up at puck drop or else we will have more outings like this against playoff calibre opponents.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They’re 28-8 under Knob…that’s almost half a season FFS
“New coach bumps” don’t last that long
That’s why I also said the team was bound for a bounce back. Analytically we were much better than our record. We haven’t seen this team have much adversity under this coach, and that’s where you can really learn the difference between fine coaches and great coaches.
We learned thru adversity Woodcroft wasn’t one, haven’t had that chance with Knob yet.

Reactions: guymez

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
That’s why I also said the team was bound for a bounce back. Analytically we were much better than our record. We haven’t seen this team have much adversity under this coach, and that’s where you can really learn the difference between fine coaches and great coaches.
We learned thru adversity Woodcroft wasn’t one, haven’t had that chance with Knob yet.
Okay that’s fair.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Someone needs to put Mikey Anderson in his place what a dirt bag of a player. That run at Hyman was dirty as f***. Broke drais ankle in the playoffs.

I think Stu had a good game tonight.
That second goal I think was weak but loss not on skinner at all. It happens

Not great, oh well. Regroup and get back to finding those wins

True, they are will lose hard games
Like every team does lol. It’s the nhl nothing is easy. Some of these replies are pathetic

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Dude they lost after winning 8 straight and you immediately went off the ledge as well. It’s just who you are. Usually a “coaching bump” means a bad team plays well for 5-10 games… it doesn’t mean they completely dominate the league for more than 1/3rd of the season.

I get it we are on a 1 game losing streak. The sky is falling.

I think Woody is a good coach but not a great one. He let some bad habits fester and it ended up costing him his job. His success with the team wasn’t a “coaching bump” either.
The fans here are hysterical. Did these posters think they would never lose again? They have been the best team in the nhl for two months . They are going still have a bad stretch here and there. So many people go suicidal after a loss or two it’s nuts

Do you just hibernate and come out of the woodwork to attack the coach?
There are posters who only post when things go bad do they can spew their toxic venom. They have zero interest in good hockey discussions

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
We need more guys willing to go to war with the likes of LA and Vegas. Completely agree that Gagner needs to get back in. Brown or Janmark can sit the f down and get waived for all I care.
We def need another guy who goes out and hits folks. Team has flaws in its construction. Need a shoot first winger and a guy to be a physical presence as well

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So this loss after the loss to the Knights is very frustrating. Last night they should have been better.

The team needs to find a way to create more 5 on 5, and they have to f***ing finish, that's all but disappeared.

There's no need to panic but concern is fine.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The fans here are hysterical. Did these posters think they would never lose again? They have been the best team in the nhl for two months . They are going still have a bad stretch here and there. So many people go suicidal after a loss or two it’s nuts

There are posters who only post when things go bad do they can spew their toxic venom. They have zero interest in good hockey discussions
Unlike others, I post whether they win or lose.

So this loss after the loss to the Knights is very frustrating. Last night they should have been better.

The team needs to find a way to create more 5 on 5, and they have to f***ing finish, that's all but disappeared.

There's no need to panic but concern is fine.
It seems like they’ve turned back into a perimeter team, refusing to actually get to the inside.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Flush it and go next. Please put the D pairs back to normal.
Sure, but this didn't have a lot to do with things. The Oilers were getting worked off pucks around the rink. Its debatable that the D were better in this game than the forwards were and Nurse particularly made multiple plays to save goals.

We had McD being a giveaway machine on the topline. Skating right into checks, even doing it on the PP. We had Nuge giving puck away constantly just getting beat off it. So many pucks coming back and thats the forwards fault. We had one good line last night and 3 bad ones. Thats how we lost. Kings forward group was much better than ours. That can't happen.

Is it concerning to anybody else that McD's most dangerous chance of the night was his trickshot trying to bounce it in off the goalies ears....

Really McD? All that perimeter skating and ragging the puck and thats the best chance you had?. What happened to McD's inside moves, turning D out, faking at speed and getting clear to net. Its not happening a lot.

How does the best player in the world go from 64 goal season to 21, and on pace for only HALF the goals he scored just last season?

Drai is down too but on pace Drai is 12 goals down from last season. McD is on pace for 30 goals down.

This isn't something I would bring up over short sample, or during a bad spell. This is McD suddenly not being able to score much after lighting the lamp constantly last season. Doesn't seem anything wrong with him either. Flying all over the rink, the jets are there.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Sure, but this didn't have a lot to do with things. The Oilers were getting worked off pucks around the rink. Its debatable that the D were better in this game than the forwards were and Nurse particularly made multiple plays to save goals.

We had McD being a giveaway machine on the topline. Skating right into checks, even doing it on the PP. We had Nuge giving puck away constantly just getting beat off it. So many pucks coming back and thats the forwards fault. We had one good line last night and 3 bad ones. Thats how we lost. Kings forward group was much better than ours. That can't happen.

Is it concerning to anybody else that McD's most dangerous chance of the night was his trickshot trying to bounce it in off the goalies ears....

Really McD? All that perimeter skating and ragging the puck and thats the best chance you had?. What happened to McD's inside moves, turning D out, faking at speed and getting clear to net. Its not happening a lot.

How does the best player in the world go from 64 goal season to 21, and on pace for only HALF the goals he scored just last season?

Drai is down too but on pace Drai is 12 goals down from last season. McD is on pace for 30 goals down.

This isn't something I would bring up over short sample, or during a bad spell. This is McD suddenly not being able to score much after lighting the lamp constantly last season. Doesn't seem anything wrong with him either. Flying all over the rink, the jets are there.
tbh i've been more frustrated with Drai's lack of finish this year than McDavid's. Other than last season, McDavid has never really been known as a true goal scorer. I can't count how many times this year Drai has not finished off some golden opportunities. And McDavid has made that trick shot off the goalies ears work many times in the past.. so not sure why you're ripping him on that move. The thing with McDavid though... when he has a bad game like last night (which is very rare)... he is still skating a 100 miles an hour and looks like he is trying hard. When Drai is struggling... it's the opposite... his effort level and skating look really poor.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Really unfair for McDavid to have to be stapled to him all year, but that usually happens to him.
When Nuge brings it he's one of the best players on a team. But he's clearly back to not bringing half of what got him success last season.

Nuge is another guy that can't light the lamp now. Goes from 37goal scorer to having 12 this season, on pace to 20.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
tbh i've been more frustrated with Drai's lack of finish this year than McDavid's. Other than last season, McDavid has never really been known as a true goal scorer. I can't count how many times this year Drai has not finished off some golden opportunities. The thing with McDavid though... when he has a bad game like last night (which is very rare)... he is still skating a 100 miles an hour and looks like he is trying hard. When Drai is struggling... it's the opposite... his effort level and skating look really poor.
I just don't get this. You don't get style points for skating miles. Theres no award just for that. Drai is cerebral and looks to open up game and with surgical precision and Drai has been getting to the net just as much as McD has lately.

McD had success last season and actually changing up tempo, speeding up, slowing down, shaking defenders, working to find openings from there. McD is back to only playing at full tilt and its now somewhat counter productive as every team scouts and schemes for his break speed. Its as if McD forgot a lot of what he learned last season in expanding his scoring and production potential. McD had career high production and goals last season and the dropoff has been severe. McD could go a G/G the rest of the way and not even get close to his total last season. The greatest player on Earth, in his prime is on pace for a 30 something goal season.

Drai was never a touted goal scorer. He developed that facet IN the NHL. Drai was never projected to be a top NHL scorer. He created and manufactured ways to score, like Messier did, who also was not a natural goal scorer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m sure the Deserve O Meter was 75% LA to 25% EDM half way through the game. We ended up creating more chances in that latter half but LA did a good job of keeping us on the perimeter and limiting those prime opportunities. We need to show up at puck drop or else we will have more outings like this against playoff calibre opponents.
Exactly. it was influenced by score effects. Kings were by far better in first two periods. The Oilers had 8 SOG halfway through the game. 8. Thats even with multiple PP's. Kings were getting better scoring looks on our PP.

Reactions: McDrai

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I just don't get this. You don't get style points for skating miles. Theres no award just for that. Drai is cerebral and looks to open up game and with surgical precision and Drai has been getting to the net just as much as McD has lately.

McD had success last season and actually changing up tempo, speeding up, slowing down, shaking defenders, working to find openings from there. McD is back to only playing at full tilt and its now somewhat counter productive as every team scouts and schemes for his break speed. Its as if McD forgot a lot of what he learned last season in expanding his scoring and production potential. McD had career high production and goals last season and the dropoff has been severe. McD could go a G/G the rest of the way and not even get close to his total last season. The greatest player on Earth, in his prime is on pace for a 30 something goal season.

Drai was never a touted goal scorer. He developed that facet IN the NHL. Drai was never projected to be a top NHL scorer. He created and manufactured ways to score, like Messier did, who also was not a natural goal scorer.
Prior to last season's 64 goals... McDavid had 34, 33, and 44 goals the previous 3 seasons before that. This year he is onpace for 37 goals...

Draisaitl's last 2 seasons he had 55 and 52 goals.. this year he is on pace for 41 goals. Yet you pick on McDavid's lack of goal scoring and production drop?

Reactions: RegDunlop and frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When Nuge brings it he's one of the best players on a team. But he's clearly back to not bringing half of what got him success last season.

Nuge is another guy that can't light the lamp now. Goes from 37goal scorer to having 12 this season, on pace to 20.
Its interesting, maybe telling, that the only guy on the team that has manufactured the production success of last season is Hyman. A lot of guys last season were on career high heaters.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Prior to last season's 64 goals... McDavid had 34, 33, and 44 goals the previous 3 seasons before that. This year he is onpace for 37 goals...

Draisaitl's last 2 seasons he had 55 and 52 goals.. this year he is on pace for 41 goals. Yet you pick on McDavid's lack of goal scoring and production drop?
Are you surprised?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Draisaitl's last 2 seasons he had 55 and 52 goals.. this year he is on pace for 41 goals. Yet you pick on McDavid's lack of goal scoring?
Did you read my post? You describe Drai as if he's some kind of natural goal scorer. He's not that, and has never been. Drai is not a guy that can fly down the wing and just blow pucks by goalies like an Ovechkin or Lafleur. He was never that player growing up, was never scouted to be that. Drai is a tactical scorer that has accomplished set play scoring tricks. He is not a natural goal scorer.

Its a complete joke that people here on the board expect more from Drai than the best player on Earth. The guy that gets a pass while all criticism lands on Drai.

That Drai HAS had those 50 goals seasons is credit to how hard he's worked to try to perfect his rote plays. He's not even got solid around the net hands. He's awful on breakaways or shootouts. Drai scores 80% on set plays. Thats it.

Again, Drai is on pace for only 11 goals below his total last year.

McD is 30 goals below his last year pace.

That seems to be a huge difference.

McD has also scored more G/G career than Drai has. So I'm not sure your premise is supported.

Dropping from 50-40 goal seasons is not outlier, and it happens to players. Going from 64 goals to 30 the next season is something I've rarely if ever seen.

• Love
Reactions: Duke74

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Did you read my post? You describe Drai as if he's some kind of natural goal scorer. He's not that, and has never been. Drai is not a guy that can fly down the wing and just blow pucks by goalies like an Ovechkin or Lafleur. He was never that player growing up, was never scouted to be that. Drai is a tactical scorer that has accomplished set play scoring tricks. He is not a natural goal scorer.

Its a complete joke that people here on the board expect more from Drai than the best player on Earth. The guy that gets a pass while all criticism lands on Drai.

That Drai HAS had those 50 goals seasons is credit to how hard he's worked to try to perfect his rote plays. He's not even got solid around the net hands. He's awful on breakaways or shootouts. Drai scores 80% on set plays. Thats it.

Again, Drai is on pace for only 11 goals below his total last year.

McD is 30 goals below his last year pace.

That seems to be a huge difference.

McD has also scored more G/G career than Drai has. So I'm not sure your premise is supported.

Dropping from 50-40 goal seasons is not outlier, and it happens to players. Going from 64 goals to 30 the next season is something I've rarely if ever seen.
McDavid isn't a natural goal scorer either.

Reactions: frag2

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes