Post-Game Talk: A frustrating game

What to do with the roster?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McDavid isn't a natural goal scorer either.
Except McD has higher G/G career totals than Drai and is the noted best player on Earth by miles.

What I'm saying isn't confusing.

McD going from 64 goal season to having only 21 this season and being on pace for only 33 goals is unheard of. see if you can find one other example like this of this severe a scoring dropoff.

Conversely Drai is 11 goals down his pace from last year which isn't even outlier. That falls within what is a normal range of one season to the next goal distribution.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Did you read my post? You describe Drai as if he's some kind of natural goal scorer. He's not that, and has never been. Drai is not a guy that can fly down the wing and just blow pucks by goalies like an Ovechkin or Lafleur. He was never that player growing up, was never scouted to be that. Drai is a tactical scorer that has accomplished set play scoring tricks. He is not a natural goal scorer.

Its a complete joke that people here on the board expect more from Drai than the best player on Earth. The guy that gets a pass while all criticism lands on Drai.

That Drai HAS had those 50 goals seasons is credit to how hard he's worked to try to perfect his rote plays. He's not even got solid around the net hands. He's awful on breakaways or shootouts. Drai scores 80% on set plays. Thats it.

Again, Drai is on pace for only 11 goals below his total last year.

McD is 30 goals below his last year pace.

That seems to be a huge difference.

McD has also scored more G/G career than Drai has. So I'm not sure your premise is supported.

Dropping from 50-40 goal seasons is not outlier, and it happens to players. Going from 64 goals to 30 the next season is something I've rarely if ever seen.
And how many players have scored 64 goals in the past 30 years? Do you think it's that easy to get to that again or expect that from McDavid now every season? McDavid had a supernova goal scoring season last year where everything went right. You are comparing this season to a very big outlier, and where McDavid was injured to start this year and also eems to be focusing on his all around game more. Funny how you say Draisaitl is not a natural goal scorer. I haven't seen many non-natural goal scorers have 3 50 goal seasons.

Reactions: frag2

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Except McD has higher G/G career totals than Drai and is the noted best player on Earth by miles.

What I'm saying isn't confusing.

McD going from 64 goal season to having only 21 this season and being on pace for only 33 goals is unheard of. see if you can find one other example like this of this severe a scoring dropoff.

Conversely Drai is 11 goals down his pace from last year which isn't even outlier. That falls within what is a normal range of one season to the next goal distribution.
Its weird how you question McDavid all the time.

Anytime someone questions Draisaitl, you say we're lucky to have a player of his caliber.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its weird how you question McDavid all the time.

Anytime someone questions Draisaitl, you say we're lucky to have a player of his caliber.
I rarely question McDavid. But this is his worst season in career in years. You didn't respond to anything I posited. Either discuss it or not.

Fact of the matter is I usually defend McDrai from undue criticism here.

McD would be the first player to know he's not getting to where he needs to be this season. he's very frustrated too, possibly about some of that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And how many players have scored 64 goals in the past 30 years? Do you think it's that easy to get to that again or expect that from McDavid now every season? McDavid had a supernova goal scoring season last year where everything went right. You are comparing this season to a very big outlier, and where McDavid was injured to start this year and also eems to be focusing on his all around game more. Funny how you say Draisaitl is not a natural goal scorer. I haven't seen many non-natural goal scorers have 3 50 goal seasons.
Drai is somebody that without this PP, without McD, would score 30something goals a season. Maybe 40 on a hot year. Him being around 50 is due to PP and due to playing with players like McD as much as he had.

I'm not making this up. Drai had to learn to score goals. He wasn't even accomplished at it before NHL. He willed himself to get ways to score through set plays. Surely you notice vast majority of his goals are from the same spots.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I rarely question McDavid. But this is his worst season in career in years. You didn't respond to anything I posited. Either discuss it or not.

McD would be the first player to know he's not getting to where he needs to be this season. he's very frustrated too, possibly about some of that.
Worst offensively.

By far his best defensively.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Drai is somebody that without this PP, without McD, would score 30something goals a season. Maybe 40 on a hot year. Him being around 50 is due to PP and due to playing with players like McD as much as he had.

I'm not making this up. Drai had to learn to score goals. He wasn't even accomplished at it before NHL. He willed himself to get ways to score through set plays. Surely you notice vast majority of his goals are from the same spots.
And Drai is not scoring from the same spots this season either... even on the PP and so many set ups. So whats your excuse for that

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Neither McDavid or Draisaitl have been upto their standard offensively this year.

Last year Mcdavid was on a mission to shoot the puck. Hes sort of reverted back to trying to pass the puck into the net this year. Something we seen a lot of previous seasons.

Draisaitl doesn’t look as effective as in previous seasons offensively. I think his goal scoring has largely been based on the PP. I think the PP being less effective has some bearing on his goal scoring.

I think both players have made strides defensively. I think both are a bit more focused on the defensive side of the puck.

Both have traditionally shown to ramp it up in the playoffs, so probably not worth overly worrying about it now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And Drai is not scoring from the same spots this season either... even on the PP and so many set ups. So whats your excuse for that
That he's not a natural goal scorer and teams are defending his few spots better.

Drai has far exceeded any and all expectation here. The Oilers struck gold getting this kind of player with a 3rd pick.

McD conversely was always going to be a superstar and the next one. Drai has elevated himself to try to be in even similar conversation. What excuse does he need?

Should I bring up contractual value?

Worst offensively.

By far his best defensively.
Is it? Yeah that wasn't McD gettin stripped by Byfield giving up the 2-0 goal. That wasn't McD turning puck over several times last night. Wasn't McD running right into coverage.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Every year you gotta have some of these. With LA getting a new coach you could see this one coming miles away. Just gotta deal with it and move on.

That said, that third line with its sub-100 combined hockey IQ is truly awful. Three fast skaters with decent puck skills but zero chemistry and nothing going on.

You are too right.
Bumming me out. I thought they could at least bounce one in off an ass or something as they're breaking the sound barrier. Really wanted them to click.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That he's not a natural goal scorer and teams are defending his few spots better.

Drai has far exceeded any and all expectation here. The Oilers struck gold getting this kind of player with a 3rd pick.

McD conversely was always going to be a superstar and the next one. Drai has elevated himself to try to be in even similar conversation. What excuse does he need?

Should I bring up contractual value?

Is it? Yeah that wasn't McD gettin stripped by Byfield giving up the 2-0 goal. That wasn't McD turning puck over several times last night. Wasn't McD running right into coverage.
You base your opinion off 1 game?

How about Draisaitl covering air on the 3rd goal.

Anytime someone points out a Draisaitl giveaway, you blame it on his teammates, this is comical at this point.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Perry has been fantastic but I don't think he's a top six forward on a contender. We need to trade for a scoring winger and then Perry can help improve our bottom six.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Great. Here we go again with just attacking coaches in a loss and not the whole team

Janmark and Brown suck but what the hell would’ve Gagner done?
Sam Gagner 22gp. 5-5-10

Janmark 38gp. 1-5-6
Brown 41gp. 0-4-4

Janmark and Brown Combined: 79gp. 1-9-10

Gagner could've chipped in offensively which might have turned the tide in the game.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I get the whole playing McDrai for the last 5-6 minutes of the game, but I think it has negative consequences on a team morale.

It has to IMO
I liked the decision to pull Skinner at the time but after a couple mins down 3, with no result, you have to turn the wheel over to someone else. Dumb move

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You base your opinion off 1 game?

How about Draisaitl covering air on the 3rd goal.

Anytime someone points out a Draisaitl giveaway, you blame it on his teammates, this is comical at this point.
Drai has had a disappointing season over all as well. There has been dropoff with both players. But the dropoff with McD this season is severe and impossible not to notice. Thats the difference.

But this is the nature of discussion we're seeing here. Bring up any player performance and its "what about Drai.

Drai is probably responsible for Connor Brown and global warming. lol ;)

ps Its not at all weird to be referring to last nights game in the PGT. This is where these posts are happening you realize.

Reactions: Duke74

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Someone needs to put Mikey Anderson in his place what a dirt bag of a player. That run at Hyman was dirty as f***. Broke drais ankle in the playoffs.

That second goal I think was weak but loss not on skinner at all. It happens

Like every team does lol. It’s the nhl nothing is easy. Some of these replies are pathetic

Agree with all You've said. Starting with Mikey. That was pretty F ing close to what Zadorov just got suspended for. No response. I also have a piss on for no response when McD roughed up at side of net. Your captain, who also happens to be the best player in the world, taking shit like that? Not when I'm on a team I can guarantee you that. Pathetic. Starting to think Bob may be right about the meatbags being acquired.

And 17-2 in last 19 games and our coach is the problem? I can't believe some posters.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Mcdavid was terrible last night(compared to his typical game)

Leo has been terrible most of the season(compared to what he has shown he is capable of)

This has zero to do with goals. The game is played all over the ice not 25 feet from the oppositions net. Mcdavid makes other better, not last night. Leo can do this. He hasnt been. His last two games have been decent. Hopefully that continues.

Leo lost his man on one goal last night and gave up the puck on the big goal the other night against Vegas. He hasnt played good hockey(for him) most of the season. If fans think hes been good, I think they are watching with Mom glasses. Calling him a power forward these days is laughable. The only power part of his game is puck protection, which many times this season ends up in a spin and a no look give-away, certainly not being physical anywhere else. On a positive not, he had a good hit last night. McDavid out hits him this season.

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Unfortunately that was my thought.

Its why this season and how it plays out is so huge. I do think it influences Drai's decision. You could tell with Pasta the constant buddying, reminders of Prague, he was getting in Drais ear a lot. He made sure to be around him and they were on the same line. That was awkward.
I think they train together a bit in the summer.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Sure, but this didn't have a lot to do with things. The Oilers were getting worked off pucks around the rink. Its debatable that the D were better in this game than the forwards were and Nurse particularly made multiple plays to save goals.

We had McD being a giveaway machine on the topline. Skating right into checks, even doing it on the PP. We had Nuge giving puck away constantly just getting beat off it. So many pucks coming back and thats the forwards fault. We had one good line last night and 3 bad ones. Thats how we lost. Kings forward group was much better than ours. That can't happen.

Is it concerning to anybody else that McD's most dangerous chance of the night was his trickshot trying to bounce it in off the goalies ears....

Really McD? All that perimeter skating and ragging the puck and thats the best chance you had?. What happened to McD's inside moves, turning D out, faking at speed and getting clear to net. Its not happening a lot.

How does the best player in the world go from 64 goal season to 21, and on pace for only HALF the goals he scored just last season?

Drai is down too but on pace Drai is 12 goals down from last season. McD is on pace for 30 goals down.

This isn't something I would bring up over short sample, or during a bad spell. This is McD suddenly not being able to score much after lighting the lamp constantly last season. Doesn't seem anything wrong with him either. Flying all over the rink, the jets are there.

Come on
You OF ALL PEOPLE are going to shit on McDavid? This truly might be one of the dumbest post game threads we've had.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Sam Gagner 22gp. 5-5-10

Janmark 38gp. 1-5-6
Brown 41gp. 0-4-4

Janmark and Brown Combined: 79gp. 1-9-10

Gagner could've chipped in offensively which might have turned the tide in the game.
His effort is also a lot higher than those 2 this Brown experiment is becoming a joke why he is not sitting is beyond me, I know fans love Ryan but he is useless 90% of the time as well. That 4th line has a total of 6-15-21 in 127 gp which equates to the whole line producing 1 point every 6 games abysmal, any top line from any AHL team would produce better than that, it's not an energy line it's a slacker line

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
My hope is that McDavid is just trying to pace himself for playoffs. He isn't challenging dmen the way he usually does and has tries to pass the puck off much sooner than normal.

I don't know if the numbers support it but it also seems like we are seeing much less McDrai this year. McDavid isn't getting those sweet passes in full flight that he gets with Drai. Nuge hasn't offered much.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

He is on pace for his 3rd best year statistically and his best plus-minus year

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I just don't get this. You don't get style points for skating miles. Theres no award just for that. Drai is cerebral and looks to open up game and with surgical precision and Drai has been getting to the net just as much as McD has lately.

McD had success last season and actually changing up tempo, speeding up, slowing down, shaking defenders, working to find openings from there. McD is back to only playing at full tilt and its now somewhat counter productive as every team scouts and schemes for his break speed. Its as if McD forgot a lot of what he learned last season in expanding his scoring and production potential. McD had career high production and goals last season and the dropoff has been severe. McD could go a G/G the rest of the way and not even get close to his total last season. The greatest player on Earth, in his prime is on pace for a 30 something goal season.

Drai was never a touted goal scorer. He developed that facet IN the NHL. Drai was never projected to be a top NHL scorer. He created and manufactured ways to score, like Messier did, who also was not a natural goal scorer.

What?
I think you should look at his numbers again. He's always been both.

You're getting all pissed off about the bike lanes again aren't you?!! Lol

Reactions: Stoneman89

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What?
I think you should look at his numbers again. He's always been both.

You're getting all pissed off about the bike lanes again aren't you?!! Lol
I need a snickers bar or something. Team has been mostly crap since ASG break.

Last night wasn't anything to be pleased with and I'm no NFL fan so nothing to wash the bad taste out.

I'll go outside in sun and get over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3