Post-Game Talk: A frustrating game

What to do with the roster?

• Total voters

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
1707631393236.gif

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Singh got excited for a Connor brown shot.

That should get you fired

Connor Browns mom doesn’t even get excited for that anymore

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They are out of rhythm. I played competitive soccer in my youth, and this kind of stuff is almost inevitable when you play well and then don't play for several weeks.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McDavid always has fire. It's a lot of the rest of them

Mikey could take his glove off and slap nuge in the face a few times and nuge probably wouldn't even get that angry.

You need every guy to want to battle till the end. Race hard to board battles, etc

I can't stand them, but you have to play the way Vancouver third line plays. Like guys who have been threatened every game they will be scratched
Even Vancouver’s top players get benched if they play like shit

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Did anyone notice Foegele at all? I swear he goes completely MIA when we play physical opponents. Not enough fight in our team tonight. We are still too soft as a team and have too many guys that couldn't score with a hooker even with a pocket full of $100's.
I thought Kings were physical against us tonight and PLD was too. Just hammering people. Kings definitely won the physical battle and with Byfield rounding into form as another power forward they can bring the battle.

But tactically Kings were owning us, and especially on our PP. First two periods Kings had more chances on our PP than we did.

That said the coach can't bring match battle intensity on the ice. Its up to the players. Its time to rest some guys too and get people like Gagner back on ice. No reason he shouldn't be there.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well...that was as bad an effort as we have seen since November.
The Oilers were disinterested...soft and sloppy all over the ice.
LA out hit, out worked and out hustled them by a wide margin.
If not for Skinner this game was over in the first period.

If they didnt play a weak team like Anaheim yesterday there is no doubt in my mind that they would be on a 3 game losing streak.

Even Knoblauch deserves some heat. Stop with this ridiculous shuffling on defence. No reason for it.
WTF is he thinking? In addition to everything else that decision hurt this team tonight.

This was a full team loss tonight right from the coaching staff through to the players.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Even Vancouver’s top players get benched if they play like shit
That's true. I know pretty much much all of their top payers have been benched at one time. That's the one thing with tocchet. His guys know you are in deep shit if you don't hustle

Reactions: guymez

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I thought Kings were physical against us tonight and PLD was too. Just hammering people. Kings definitely won the physical battle and with Byfield rounding into form as another power forward they can bring the battle.

But tactically Kings were owning us, and especially on our PP. First two periods Kings had more chances on our PP than we did.

That said the coach can't bring match battle intensity on the ice. Its up to the players. Its time to rest some guys too and get people like Gagner back on ice. No reason he shouldn't be there.
The coach shouldn’t need to get the players excited to start a game against the kings.

Seems like the team is back to its slow starts, I wish we had a 3rd line who could crush people, would be a great line to start the game and get the momentum

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

We need more guys willing to go to war with the likes of LA and Vegas. Completely agree that Gagner needs to get back in. Brown or Janmark can sit the f down and get waived for all I care.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For a big body, foegele does way too many fly bys when he could take the body.

The only player on that line who throws a hit is Holloway.

No one in the bottom 6 hits beside him now that I think about it.
Foegele is sad because he's back in bottomsix and back to doing nothing. His whole time here he shows these streaks where you figure he can be a player, then he goes back to this. Didn't think Holloway had much going tonight but this isn't AHL and there wasn't a ton of open ice. These games back are a good test for the Oil and showing them what level of game they need to get back to.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Agreed. Definitely got out battled tonight. Kings feeling guilty for Todd firing and wanting desperately to flip the script on their season. Oilers should have known and played accordingly.

"Faceoff victory!"
Lol!

Oct 15, 2008
Did anyone notice Foegele at all? I swear he goes completely MIA when we play physical opponents. Not enough fight in our team tonight. We are still too soft as a team and have too many guys that couldn't score with a hooker even with a pocket full of $100's.
He tried to charge a dman into the end boards but awkwardly bounced off and fell down. He was horrible and can take Gagner’s spot in the pb

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We need more guys willing to go to war with the likes of LA and Vegas. Completely agree that Gagner needs to get back in. Brown or Janmark can sit the f down and get waived for all I care.
I do think theres some flaws in our lineup. We don't have bonecrushers in bottomsix. That matters in playoffs. This was essentially a playoff type game, or at least foreshadowing of the game the Oilers have to persevere.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's true. I know pretty much much all of their top payers have been benched at one time. That's the one thing with tocchet. His guys know you are in deep shit if you don't hustle
Accountability is a good thing and it takes a coach with balls to do it.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Our guys would chase this type of guy out of town.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
They were due for a let down after the streak. Smart of Knob to mix up the lines. Shifts the blame off the players a little and refreshes things. It would be worse if he didn't mix it up and they still played like shit. He's playing 4d chess. ;)

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
100%. This is who he is. You don't go give him a large raise. Small bump or hit the road
He shoudnt be getting a bump, at all. He should be going down if anything but in reality they should use him the same way they used Barrie last year as a piece to upgrade the top six.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agreed. Definitely got out battled tonight. Kings feeling guilty for Todd firing and wanting desperately to flip the script on their season. Oilers should have known and played accordingly.

Lol!
Kind of expected it. Like I said the break happened at the worst time for the Oilers. They were on a huge tear and after two weeks off essentially that mojo is gone. This has been really bad since ASG. Without the Kane hatrick were staring at 3 losses in a row. Good thing we edged out Anaheim. It was never going to be easy after ASG. Oilers used a lot of energy getting back to where they are in the standings.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I do think theres some flaws in our lineup. We don't have bonecrushers in bottomsix. That matters in playoffs. This was essentially a playoff type game, or at least foreshadowing of the game the Oilers have to persevere.
They are overall softer than last year. Perry will help a bit, but they need to add a d-man and a bottom 6 forward.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Agree. Also, Brown and Janmark are just occupying space now. PK is not rocket science…anyone can replace them. Until we make some roster adds, bring in Lavoie, Send Brown and Janmark down, move Nuge to the 3rd line ( try McLeod in his spot) and keep Ceci down in the pairings and add Gags.
If we’re going to reset, then we should do it with a meaningful roster.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They were due for a let down after the streak. Smart of Knob to mix up the lines. Shifts the blame off the players a little and refreshes things. It would be worse if he didn't mix it up and they still played like shit. He's playing 4d chess. ;)
Mixing up the D pairings is 4 D chess if Knoblauch is playing himself. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad