Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Krill seeker.
FearfulThreadbareBongo-max-1mb.gif

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I watched “Nobody” tonight. It’s f***ing brilliant.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Reactions: Embiid

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Winslet's accent in Mare was good, not perfect. I feel like Evan Peters leaned a little too hard into his and it came off a bit as an impression, though it was a pretty damned good impression of dudes I know in real life.

Some of the local references took me out of the show. First, no one says a Wawa coffee. It's just a coffee. All the place names - Ridley, Drexel Hill, Bryn Mawr, Haverford College, etc., etc. I get it, you're from the area, Brad. I did appreciate Winslet biting down into a cold cheesesteak for a quick bite at her kitchen table, that's the truth.

As for the show itself, it's legitimately good @Beef Invictus, watch it. Some of the secondary stuff didn't work so well for me - i.e. the whole mysterious caller / Dawn subplot that was painfully obvious the whole time and unearned, but the main plot's resolution and how it authentically ties into the show's themes while remaining true to the characters is outstanding storytelling.

As for The Killing vs. Mare, didn't the former start to go off the rails by the end? It's been a while. Also, that series was far more of a police procedural if memory serves, Mare is more of a family drama / character study masquerading as a police procedural.

Good article about the Philly accent...

Never thought I had one till I was in Colorado and this girl said she could tell I was from Philly. My a's apparently are nasally. I do say yous guys as well...

So what does Delco think about Kate Winslet's 'Mare of Easttown' accent?

Obviously, we all have accents, but the first time I became aware of mine was when I went to college - in the same state mind you - and it was pointed out to me over and over again. Thankfully, I do not have a Delco accent, I have a milder NE Philly accent, and that only partially. My father was raised in the suburbs just across the line mere miles away but his accent is far less pronounced than my mother's. My mother's father grew up in Fishtown during the Great Depression and had the thickest accent imaginable, so that might have something to do with it.

I had a colleague from California years ago who, after a couple of years working together, one day suddenly spat out in shock, "You have an accent!" So, it's mild enough to go unnoticed for a bit, but it's there.

One of my favorite bands ever. And yes they played this at a show in Philly and the reaction was exactly what you would've expected.

Dude's really driving across the Delaware for a Pat's steak and he thinks we're the ones who are f***ed up? Pffft.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Winslet's accent in Mare was good, not perfect. I feel like Evan Peters leaned a little too hard into his and it came off a bit as an impression, though it was a pretty damned good impression of dudes I know in real life.

Some of the local references took me out of the show. First, no one says a Wawa coffee. It's just a coffee. All the place names - Ridley, Drexel Hill, Bryn Mawr, Haverford College, etc., etc. I get it, you're from the area, Brad. I did appreciate Winslet biting down into a cold cheesesteak for a quick bite at her kitchen table, that's the truth.

As for the show itself, it's legitimately good @Beef Invictus, watch it. Some of the secondary stuff didn't work so well for me - i.e. the whole mysterious caller / Dawn subplot that was painfully obvious the whole time and unearned, but the main plot's resolution and how it authentically ties into the show's themes while remaining true to the characters is outstanding storytelling.

As for The Killing vs. Mare, didn't the former start to go off the rails by the end? It's been a while. Also, that series was far more of a police procedural if memory serves, Mare is more of a family drama / character study masquerading as a police procedural.

Obviously, we all have accents, but the first time I became aware of mine was when I went to college - in the same state mind you - and it was pointed out to me over and over again. Thankfully, I do not have a Delco accent, I have a milder NE Philly accent, and that only partially. My father was raised in the suburbs just across the line mere miles away but his accent is far less pronounced than my mother's. My mother's father grew up in Fishtown during the Great Depression and had the thickest accent imaginable, so that might have something to do with it.

I had a colleague from California years ago who, after a couple of years working together, one day suddenly spat out in shock, "You have an accent!" So, it's mild enough to go unnoticed for a bit, but it's there.

Dude's really driving across the Delaware for a Pat's steak and he thinks we're the ones who are f***ed up? Pffft.
I grew up in the Philly burbs ...Bucks County so I know my accent isn't as pronounced as a local Philly person like from the NE or souf Philly. That is why I was surprised she picked it out. Now my friend from Western PA ...he had a twang.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

It did, but what I meant was that the lead character in "The Killing" was much better and more lived in than Mare, who was a tortured caricature of a working-class (or middle-class) woman who is exhausted with her problems. The way she ate was one of the tells, but I'm not going to break that down - I'm happy to just let people enjoy it. All I really care about are our standards, which have to be higher if we hope to be given legitimately great shows.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I started watching it last night....saw the first 3 episodes. I mean it is decent so far although not crazy about my girl Winslett chubbing up for the part. I will say....her accent seems a bit staged so it is noticeable to me at least. Still not easy to do so give her lots of credit.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Plans for today, build vegetable garden, hang ship lap, hang drywall, drink.
Leinenkugel and an Acid kuba kuba cigar aren’t terrible together. The cigar is way sweeter than I like but it’s scratching the itch.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Plans for today, build vegetable garden, hang ship lap, hang drywall, drink.
Leinenkugel and an Acid kuba kuba cigar aren’t terrible together. The cigar is way sweeter than I like but it’s scratching the itch.

I haven't had an Acid cigar in over a decade. Hell, I haven't had any cigar in probably five years. My go-tos were Rocky Patel and Davidoff

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Vege garden built, have to get a maul tomorrow to drive it down more evenly, and then the soil and plants.
4B75C3B1-1A35-4935-8701-6AD29D60EBCB.jpeg

Started the ship lap but realized I through out my old contour tool thing(I can never remember the name of it) and had to put that on hold.
Moved on to ripping up the ugliest carpet known to man.
970AE719-0452-4AB2-B540-471F5580CA63.jpeg

it’s more orange than brown but the pic came out weird.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Vege garden built, have to get a maul tomorrow to drive it down more evenly, and then the soil and plants.
View attachment 446540

Started the ship lap but realized I through out my old contour tool thing(I can never remember the name of it) and had to put that on hold.
Moved on to ripping up the ugliest carpet known to man.
View attachment 446541
it’s more orange than brown but the pic came out weird.

Those contour tools are genius. I don't need one but I feel like I should have one

Reactions: Lord Defect
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad