OT: 83rd Obsequious Banter Thread: Balls to the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
OK, I'm not informed here. What I've read/heard, the problem is that it merely slows progression instead of reversing it.

What's the problem with that?

@DancingPanther come enlighten me
I think even the slowing is negligible but have to research more....

In explaining the approval, the FDA acknowledged Aduhelm had not demonstrated a clear clinical benefit in terms of slowing disease progression, but argued that by removing the plaques, Aduhelm “is reasonably likely to predict a clinical benefit to patients.”

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I think even the slowing is negligible but have to research more....
Wrong.

@Beef Invictus

The issue is the slowing is all theoretical, and because it's theoretical and not proven, some people are butthurt.

There are no drugs that treat the disease, only the symptoms. There are meds out there that preserve memory by only months, and they're approved. Everything approved now only slows the progression. Alzheimer's has been widely HYPOTHESIZED to be caused by the buildup of amyloid beta in the brain. This drug was tested on people with Alzheimer's who didn't show any statistically significant improvement.

However, since it's been proven to combat the buildup of amyloid beta, it was approved by the FDA on those grounds; on the hypothesis that it could work in very early stage Alzheimer's, for example.

But some experts are arguing you can't act on what is essentially a hunch- that it's not how the process works. Which, honestly they're right. But, since it's also been proven safe, if you want my opinion I say go for it. This is an orphan drug so it got fast tracked (orphan drugs are special because they're for rare conditons or curative therapies for those with no known cure) so let's see how it works post-hoc.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Wrong.

@Beef Invictus

The issue is the slowing is all theoretical, and because it's theoretical and not proven, some people are butthurt.

There are no drugs that treat the disease, only the symptoms. There are meds out there that preserve memory by only months, and they're approved. Everything approved now only slows the progression. Alzheimer's has been HYPOTHESIZED to be caused by the buildup of amyloid beta in the brain. This drug was tested on people with Alzheimer's who didn't show any statistically significant improvement.

However, since it's been proven to combat the buildup of amyloid beta, it was approved by the FDA on those grounds; on the hypothesis that it could work in very early stage Alzheimer's, for example.

But some experts are arguing you can't act on what is essentially a hunch- that it's not how the process works. Which, honestly they're right. But, since it's also been proven safe, if you want my opinion I say go for it. This is an orphan drug so it got fast tracked (orphan drugs are special because they're for rare conditons or curative therapies for those with no known cure) so let's see how it works post-hoc.
"This drug was tested on people with Alzheimer's who didn't show any statistically significant improvement."

RIGHT...so it is negligible or better yet inconclusive results thus far....

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Wrong.

@Beef Invictus

There are no drugs that treat the disease, only the symptoms. There are meds out there that preserve memory by only months, and they're approved. Everything approved now only slows the progression. Alzheimer's has been widely HYPOTHESIZED to be caused by the buildup of amyloid beta in the brain. This drug was tested on people with Alzheimer's who didn't show any statistically significant improvement.

OK, this is exactly what if felt like. People being butthurt that it isn't blindly following the book, despite there being really no downside.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
OK, this is exactly what if felt like. People being butthurt that it isn't blindly following the book, despite there being really no downside.
I didn't read the actual study but yeah that's the gyst of it

I'm usually of the science book too but you gotta start somewhere, why not here? That's just my thought anyway

Reactions: Beef Invictus

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
So the drug is safe? That should be all the criteria the FDA needs to approve. Beyond that should be between the doctor and the patient.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So the drug is safe? That should be all the criteria the FDA needs to approve. Beyond that should be between the doctor and the patient.
The issue is that they had all of two clinical trials one of which showed some benefit and another that showed no benefit at all. So it is not conclusive that the drug is safe or effective for that matter. If you read the transcript of the interview I posted or listen to it this is a key part...

And as far as between the doc and patient more like between the doc and pharma rep...lol
We have some signal that there might be some benefit for patient symptoms, and we are going to tell the company that they need to do another clinical trial. And if the results of that trial do not show benefit, then the FDA might revoke the approval, and it could end up being that those trials don't show benefit at all.

The issue with that is that the clinical trial takes three or four, five years. And so this drug will be on the market, patients will be using it without actually being certain that it has the ability to help them.

So the cost benefit analysis will really be done in the next 3-5 years...hopefully not too many people will be "butthurt"...

Yes, there is definitely a risk.

This drug can cause brain swelling and brain bleeding. And in the trial, about 40 percent of patients in the trial did experience that. Now, it is not quite as serious as it sounds, because most of those cases didn't actually produce any symptoms for patients. But some number did.

And about 6 percent of patients had to quit the trials because they — of the brain swelling or brain bleeding. So those can be serious side effects. And, as a result, anybody who takes this drug will have to have regular brain MRIs to check to see if their brain is experiencing anything like this.

In terms of the benefit that they found — and, as you said, in the beginning, only one trial found any benefit. Another completely identical trial did not find any benefit. The benefit in the trial that did seem to be positive is actually quite slight.

So, some of the scientists who were concerned and arguing against approval were saying, we don't have a slam-dunk here. We only have one trial that shows any possibility of benefit. And that benefit itself is pretty slight. And then, on the other side, we know that there is a risk. And so they were saying the potential benefit here doesn't outweigh the risk.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
199716241_10159472699502774_5400754473604218118_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad