Post-Game Talk: #82: Hurricanes at FLYERS, Saturday, Apr. 6, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
How much do you think JJ and Clement actually hear from the upper management types?

I feel like Clement wouldn't drop the stuff about Ghost being traded if Fletcher considered him an important core piece.

It seems pretty clear that ghost will be traded when you look at it all. They wouldn’t and still shouldn’t talk about him like that but it seems like it may be a done deal. You would think it’s possible there is already a deal in place for trouba once the jets are out of the playoffs. If trouba signs for a good deal then it’s not the worst deal to trade ghos for him.

They also talk about Q pretty openly. He seems very likely to come here.

Now all we have to do is wrap up Hughes Tuesday and Panarin July 1.

Imagine adding Q, Trouba, Panarin, and Hughes in one offseason and only losing Ghost. I’d freak out.

Chicago lost & Minnesota is about to lose so we would have received no help if we won tonight.

The only thing they kind of did right this year was tank.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
How much do you think JJ and Clement actually hear from the upper management types?

I feel like Clement wouldn't drop the stuff about Ghost being traded if Fletcher considered him an important core piece.
Didn’t they say the same thing about Voracek and Giroux when they had their down year?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Fantastic work boys. The tank was embraced, although very late. Loss after loss, we earned this. Let's look at the good, as expected, bad, and ugly for the 2018 season:

The Good (in order)
  • Hart: having a real goalie is going to be nice for the first time in a while. A full season of a goalie that can steal games for us is going to add 10+ pts right off the bat compared to "normal". And the kid is only going to get better
  • Sanheim: Travo can skate, move the puck, lead a rush, and stop a rush. His defense improved leaps and bounds from the beginning of the year and even as a young'n was effective playing against other teams' best players.
  • Coots: animal. Makes players better, always.
  • Patrick: although he had an up and down year, I'd consider his sophomore campaign a success. He showed us he could really be dynamic on offense as well as playing effective defense even as a 20 year old. Coots 2.0? Better skater....anyway, there's no guarantees he wasn't nursing an injury the last few weeks.
  • Konecny: one of our more dynamic forwards with a rocket of a snapshot and great wheels. Please stop hiding him.
  • Myers, Morin: held their own out there in a cup of tea. Hope they can build on an important year in 2019-2020
The "Indifferent because this is exactly what I expected" Group (in no particular order):
  • Giroux, JVR, Jake: The vets produced and got the job done.
  • Gudas and Elliot: average players playing an average game. I have to give some props to Gudas here for playing averagely while dealing with the ugly very often
  • Lindblom: flashed talent and good positioning but was invisible for too many stretches. Hopefully he can find some consistency next season
The Bad (in no particular order)
  • Provorov and Ghost: Objectively, both players had down years. Be that the product of a rehab filled offseason, a poor system, or being shackled to The Ugly, both had down years. I have said this before, but I'm a huge believer in the system being a huge contributor to this problem. More on that later.
  • AMac: a slow, dumb, and outclassed black hole, day in and day out. The only reason he isn't in the ugly is because he diden't play enough
  • Neuvirth: a bad goalie made of class. The only reason he isn't in the ugly is because he didn't play enough.
  • Simmonds: slow, stumbles all around, can't pass, and not even good 5 on 4 anymore. Cooked.
  • Weise and Lehtera: bad forwards played badly, but are a thing of the past. Yay.
The Ugly (from best ugly to worst ugly)
  • Hagg: This man is a travesty. Shift in and shift out this chachbag is making a mistake. (remember the Hagg Watch?) He is caught out of position many times per game in the defensive zone, possession dies on his stick, and he is a detriment to everyone who shares the ice with him each second of every 14-20 mins he plays depending on which month of the year we're looking at. Ideally he is the healthy scratch.
  • f***ING COACHING. IF YOU COULD EVEN CALL IT THAT. JESUS f***ING CHRIST
    • Hagg plays every game with Ghost, Sanheim, Myers, Morin all scratch victims
    • Weise on the 2nd line
    • Knight with Giroux
    • Giroux not on the left side on the PP for the last month
    • Konecny getting dicked around on the 3rd line and is the first forward to get benched
    • Ghost the first defense getting benched
    • Hagg, Weise seeing consistent "crunch time" minutes
These things change games. I am exhausted watching coaches with jello for brains trying to jam round players' skillsets into bullshit square systems (Hak), and I'm tired of watching forwards neglect their defensmen in the Dzone in favor of a 60 foot outlet pass through forecheckers (Gordo). The latter is a HUGE contributor towards the amount of "egregious" turnovers this defense makes. The Ghost Turnover was direct result of this. Not a forward in sight with forecheckers bearing down. To effectively maintain possession and minimize failed clears, gaps between players need to be reasonable. Check downs need to be available so as to not hang anyone out to dry.

Frost is in the forecast. Farabee is coming. More speed and skill for the middle 6, and with Farabee also comes good defensive IQ. I've said this many times. This team has the talent and more is coming. They are, as is, one of the most lethal quick strike offenses in the league. The skating and puck moving give this D corps the potential to be the class of the league in front of Hart. The future is bright, truly, but only if we move out of the shade of the giant oak tree of bad coaching. Gordon has no strong finish to hang his hat on. We should be getting a new coach, and should be getting better.

Above all else, Hart is the man.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Didn’t they say the same thing about Voracek and Giroux when they had their down year?

I think McKenzie said after the fact that Giroux’s name was floating around during the draft weekend that they ended up trading Schenn at.

But he had a big contract & NMC coming off a poor year so even if Hextall wanted to move him that probably made it difficult.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
Fantastic work boys. The tank was embraced, although very late. Loss after loss, we earned this. Let's look at the good, as expected, bad, and ugly for the 2018 season:

The Good (in order)
  • Hart: having a real goalie is going to be nice for the first time in a while. A full season of a goalie that can steal games for us is going to add 10+ pts right off the bat compared to "normal". And the kid is only going to get better
  • Sanheim: Travo can skate, move the puck, lead a rush, and stop a rush. His defense improved leaps and bounds from the beginning of the year and even as a young'n was effective playing against other teams' best players.
  • Coots: animal. Makes players better, always.
  • Patrick: although he had an up and down year, I'd consider his sophomore campaign a success. He showed us he could really be dynamic on offense as well as playing effective defense even as a 20 year old. Coots 2.0? Better skater....anyway, there's no guarantees he wasn't nursing an injury the last few weeks.
  • Konecny: one of our more dynamic forwards with a rocket of a snapshot and great wheels. Please stop hiding him.
  • Myers, Morin: held their own out there in a cup of tea. Hope they can build on an important year in 2019-2020
The "Indifferent because this is exactly what I expected" Group (in no particular order):
  • Giroux, JVR, Jake: The vets produced and got the job done.
  • Gudas and Elliot: average players playing an average game. I have to give some props to Gudas here for playing averagely while dealing with the ugly very often
  • Lindblom: flashed talent and good positioning but was invisible for too many stretches. Hopefully he can find some consistency next season
The Bad (in no particular order)
  • Provorov and Ghost: Objectively, both players had down years. Be that the product of a rehab filled offseason, a poor system, or being shackled to The Ugly, both had down years. I have said this before, but I'm a huge believer in the system being a huge contributor to this problem. More on that later.
  • AMac: a slow, dumb, and outclassed black hole, day in and day out. The only reason he isn't in the ugly is because he diden't play enough
  • Neuvirth: a bad goalie made of class. The only reason he isn't in the ugly is because he didn't play enough.
  • Simmonds: slow, stumbles all around, can't pass, and not even good 5 on 4 anymore. Cooked.
  • Weise and Lehtera: bad forwards played badly, but are a thing of the past. Yay.
The Ugly (from best ugly to worst ugly)
  • Hagg: This man is a travesty. Shift in and shift out this chachbag is making a mistake. (remember the Hagg Watch?) He is caught out of position many times per game in the defensive zone, possession dies on his stick, and he is a detriment to everyone who shares the ice with him each second of every 14-20 mins he plays depending on which month of the year we're looking at. Ideally he is the healthy scratch.
  • ****ING COACHING. IF YOU COULD EVEN CALL IT THAT. JESUS ****ING CHRIST
    • Hagg plays every game with Ghost, Sanheim, Myers, Morin all scratch victims
    • Weise on the 2nd line
    • Knight with Giroux
    • Giroux not on the left side on the PP for the last month
    • Konecny getting dicked around on the 3rd line and is the first forward to get benched
    • Ghost the first defense getting benched
    • Hagg, Weise seeing consistent "crunch time" minutes
These things change games. I am exhausted watching coaches with jello for brains trying to jam round players' skillsets into bull**** square systems (Hak), and I'm tired of watching forwards neglect their defensmen in the Dzone in favor of a 60 foot outlet pass through forecheckers (Gordo). The latter is a HUGE contributor towards the amount of "egregious" turnovers this defense makes. The Ghost Turnover was direct result of this. Not a forward in sight with forecheckers bearing down. To effectively maintain possession and minimize failed clears, gaps between players need to be reasonable. Check downs need to be available so as to not hang anyone out to dry.

Frost is in the forecast. Farabee is coming. More speed and skill for the middle 6, and with Farabee also comes good defensive IQ. I've said this many times. This team has the talent and more is coming. They are, as is, one of the most lethal quick strike offenses in the league. The skating and puck moving give this D corps the potential to be the class of the league in front of Hart. The future is bright, truly, but only if we move out of the shade of the giant oak tree of bad coaching. Gordon has no strong finish to hang his hat on. We should be getting a new coach, and should be getting better.

Above all else, Hart is the man.

All good stuff said here. With Provy's rough season, you gotta think he's so displeased and will have a big summer working to bounce back. We all know how good he was last year and how good he still can be moving forward. Just getting him back to his normal self will be a huge addition for us for next year and the future.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
I think McKenzie said after the fact that Giroux’s name was floating around during the draft weekend that they ended up trading Schenn at.

But he had a big contract & NMC coming off a poor year so even if Hextall wanted to move him that probably made it difficult.

This isn't likely, but for all we know Hexy could have been trying to move him and Giroux simply said NO. This past week that article came out asking will G resign here when he's a FA and I really believe he will and really believe he wants to win a Cup here and nowhere else

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
That isn’t an answer. I’ve yet to see anyone give a valid reason to think he’s in any danger of being moved. It’s just baseless panic at this point.
It is an answer that you can choose to take or leave. If you've paid attention you would know that I have consistently been in favor of keeping him. In other words, I have no agenda here.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It is an answer that you can choose to take or leave. If you've paid attention you would know that I have consistently been in favor of keeping him. In other words, I have no agenda here.
I’m not saying it’s an agenda, I just think people are overreacting and connecting dots that aren’t really there.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, I’m saying there’s no reason to expect it. I haven’t seen anything that worries me yet.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well according to Dumpster Flyers who just started the Speculation thread on Ghost on the main boards, rumours are swirling about him being dealt.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nothing is going to happen until Fletcher finds a new HC, it doesn't make sense to make major changes until you know who you've hired and gone over film with him.

I think Fletcher is smart enough to know that Gordon was a cluster f---, and not make decisions based on the last couple months of play.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Just wanted to tell you guys that it's been an honor posting with you all over the course of the season. I haven't been posting much in the live threads for the last few months because of a close family member becoming sick and recently passing. Reading these threads and suffering as Flyer fans together help through tough times.
Here's to a good offseason!

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Coots. I hope that all goes well with you and your family.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
JJ just intimated trading Frost and Farabee for a veteran. :laugh:

Bortuzzo

200.gif

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
oh crap I just saw Ken Adelberger's name in the credits just now as they are wrapping up the season broadcast.

I didn't know Ken still had some affliate with flyers still

I miss those Prism Days

Oh hell yeah. We would drive to a pals house in Millville to watch games cause Prism was there. Or the RNR bar in Philly cause we were hooked up with the owners. I would take my future wife there and the things I saw go down would make your head spin. Crazy times for sure and I have to believe this off season will be one for the ages.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
if Ghost is traded it will be for someone whos outa the league in 3 seasons, and Ghost will go on to have a monster career elsewere..

#bankit

After watching Ghost this season, I seriously doubt he'll have a monster year anywhere.
Last year may have been his high water mark.
He'll be a competent offensive defenseman, but Sanheim is already better and 3 years younger.
Ghost looks like he's never going to regain that exceptional rookie burst, and may have a degenerative hip issue, he simply didn't look as good physically this year as last season, and for a guy his size, quickness and agility are key to his success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad