Post-Game Talk: #82: Hurricanes at FLYERS, Saturday, Apr. 6, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What year? :naughty:

****. Seems like it should be sooner.

LOL. He does misbehave a lot.

Striiker doesn't get his privileges back until the Flyers win the Cup again.

That's the epitome of "Throw the book at him" :laugh:
giphy.gif

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It’s more or less an overreaction.

The only thing I can think of is a week or so before the trade deadline... Ghost ousted Gordon about usage in an interview and then Gordon did the same to Ghost not much later in the day... he said “Ghost needs to earn those situations. The turnovers and his play has not done that”. The quote isn’t verbatim, but it’s basically the same thing. Mgmt didn’t appreciate it and that’s when we saw Ghost have ~13min TOI the next game and didn’t play on the PP.
It's not the first time that Ghost has locked horns with the coaching staff. It happened two seasons ago as well. Hakstol was on him to change his game a bit and to be more defensively responsible. Ghost blew that off at that time as well.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
It's not the first time that Ghost has locked horns with the coaching staff. It happened two seasons ago as well. Hakstol was on him to change his game a bit and to be more defensively responsible. Ghost blew that off at that time as well.
Yeah... he then became a 65 point Dman. This is his worst season offensively, but he was 2 points under his 16-17 stats, but had 2 more goals.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Does he need to be fired? As far as I know the interim tag was never removed and thus an official firing is unnecessary. Just need an announcement for the hiring of a new coach. I may be wrong though, I'm sure someone will correct me if so.
As long as that imbecile isn’t behind our bench ever again it’s all good

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So coaching doesn’t matter? We have had a incompetent coaching staff for far too long.
This is a flawed team. I have said it numerous times. But coaching matters.
Have Hakstol and Gordons system of teaching guys how to play been fine?
Again, this roster has issues. But lets not ignore that this organization has had well below average coaching and management for far too long.
Why are so many posters unable to see things except as binary? My believing that too many excuses have been made for the players over the span of multiple scapegoated coaches is NOT equivalent to arguing that "coaching doesn't matter."

It's simply recognizing that:

Ken Hitchcock, a Stanley Cup winning head coach with one of the all-time best NHL winning percentages, was blamed and fired after starting a season 1-6-1.

Peter Laviolette, a Stanley Cup winning head coach who is top 20 all-time in wins, was blamed and fired after starting a season 0-3.

Craig Berube, who just took over a St. Louis team that was in last place in the entire NHL and led them to the missing the division title by 1 point & to 4th in the conference in points, was blamed and fired after taking the Flyers to the playoffs one season and missing the next.

Dave Hakstol, with a .560 career points percentage and playoffs in 2/4 seasons despite awful goaltending in 3 seasons, gets blamed and fired after a 12-15-4 start.

Scott Gordon, who takes over midseason and gets them to within 3 points of a playoff spot after his first 2 months taking over a team that was in the bottom 3 in the NHL, following 2 successful AHL seasons, and goes 25-22-4, is blamed and fired.

At some point, maybe it's not all on the coaching and more responsibility lay with the players and roster.

Reactions: tymed

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Sabres fired Housley, your turn Chuck

its hilarous how nothing ever happens when it should in Flyers land..

seasons over and other teams are clearing house... typical Flyers... nothing done yet.. wait till its to late, forced to get scraps no one else wanted..

im prepared to be utterly disappointed for next seasons team/coachs already.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Why are so many posters unable to see things except as binary? My believing that too many excuses have been made for the players over the span of multiple scapegoated coaches is NOT equivalent to arguing that "coaching doesn't matter."

It's simply recognizing that:

Ken Hitchcock, a Stanley Cup winning head coach with one of the all-time best NHL winning percentages, was blamed and fired after starting a season 1-6-1.

Peter Laviolette, a Stanley Cup winning head coach who is top 20 all-time in wins, was blamed and fired after starting a season 0-3.

Craig Berube, who just took over a St. Louis team that was in last place in the entire NHL and led them to the missing the division title by 1 point & to 4th in the conference in points, was blamed and fired after taking the Flyers to the playoffs one season and missing the next.

Dave Hakstol, with a .560 career points percentage and playoffs in 2/4 seasons despite awful goaltending in 3 seasons, gets blamed and fired after a 12-15-4 start.

Scott Gordon, who takes over midseason and gets them to within 3 points of a playoff spot after his first 2 months taking over a team that was in the bottom 3 in the NHL, following 2 successful AHL seasons, and goes 25-22-4, is blamed and fired.

At some point, maybe it's not all on the coaching and more responsibility lay with the players and roster.
And at some point, it's bad coaching more than the players and roster. Take the 2018-19 Flyers for example

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
At this point I’m going to pray the Preds get bounced by Dallas in 1st round and Lavy gets fired. Q to Panthers likely, Mclellan speaking with LA. Interesting the players all praised Gordon and called him a good coach during exit interviews. Too bad they stopped playing for him at some point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The most important step to winning has already been taken, Hart is the starting goaltender. That will be a huge difference next season.

The players like Gordon, that's nice, but why were the Phantoms and now the Flyers so sloppy under his tutelage?
Maybe you want a coach who players don't like as much, but know they'll be held accountable for mind farts and failure to do the little things, instead of hanging out waiting for stretch passes?
It's a shame Hakstol had the personality of a turnip, because they played better hockey for him, if he only had a goalie.

Flyers don't need a brilliant HC, they need someone competent, who can install an up tempo system but also get players to buy into playing two way hockey and not free lance, and who has the cajones to bench a "name" player who turns in a half ass effort.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I’m on team McLellan now. Make it so, if it’s not too late.

Funny thing about this, the team outside of maybe like 3 or 4 players sucks ass, so no matter what coach you have, it would of have sucked. I do like McLellan as well, but I'd give Boudreau a chance and going by another's suggestion, Gronborg would be interesting.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I may be the only, or one of the only, posters on this board who was disgusted with Ghost's play this season and thinks he should be shopped, but I have no doubt that management sees him the same way I do.

He's a goner.

Reminds me of last summer when Gudas was definitely going to be traded.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->