Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It would be dreadful for the Habs. The NHL ready LW depth is Drouin, UFA Tatar (who is not getting resigned) and two guys playing on the 4th line that haven't shown any offense this year (Lekhonen/Byron). If MB trades Drouin for anything not a LW, he will have to trade someone else for a top 6 LW.

The Habs have nothing to trade but picks, middling prospects, UFAs and bottom 6/pair players this year. Anything else will cripple the club.

I'm aware of that. It's much easier to find a Drouin-like player than an Ekholm like player though. See Toffoli. It would be a "problem swap", fixing the LD by creating a hole at LW, which I would rather have than a hole at LD and a Drouin LW. Preds would also probably need an LD to fill in Ekholm's spot too, so we could swap a lesser LD for a lesser LW too, so we could bargain someone to fill in for Drouin.

Just to be clear, I'd rather trade guys like Tatar or Danault (Tatar favorite to go obviously), but added Drouin as I would be willing to do that sacrifice too. I never liked how we tried to fix our offensive woes by creating a gaping hole at D, if we can reverse this mistake I'd be happy to.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
As bad as he’s been, we saw the last two games that he’s not nearly as bad as Kulak and Mete.

If they find a replacement LD, Chiarot would be a nice addition before the playoffs (if they make it obviously).
Ya Chiarot just can't handle those minutes with Weber's decline, he should be fine on the bottom pair and is a definite upgrade over Kulak/Toilette/Mete.

Reactions: le_sean

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Chiarot is a good 4th dman. Back in the days, weber was quicker, stronger. Today, he needs a better teammate than chiarot to face big lines.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Chiarot is a good 4th dman. Back in the days, weber was quicker, stronger. Today, he needs a better teammate than chiarot to face big lines.
No, he,s not a good 4th Dman. If you have him on your 2nd pair it means he's playing 20 minutes a night and getting significant puck touches, he's a bad 4th D.

He's a good bottom pair D. Just like Danault isn't a second line C. Same principle.

Jul 6, 2016
Nashville will want Gallagher

Give them ! With his long fat contract coming up next Fall, it could frre up cap space for the Habs... But Nashville is not a rich team and would possibly prefer young prospects + draft picks.

Reactions: habsfan891

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Not really... Mete, Kulak and even Romanov can't take his place properly.

MB will have to make a trade very soon...

That's what I mean. Chiarot is almost good enough for his role, this lets us find someone who is.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
wishing him a speedy and full recovery...

hopefully the cap space freed up gets used tactically as opposed to for desperation/job preservation... in this market, leveraging the cap space to help a true contender make the upgrades they want in exchange for taking back dead money (i.e unwanted vets) while adding quality futures (1st round pick++/top prospects) is the only approach we should be considering.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
So Ben chiarot is out until either right before the playoffs to the first week of the playoffs.

This could seriously be a blessing.

We can got get a 3.5 million dollar player without having to dump cap.

Unless I have my dates wrong.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
And shooting a puck over the glass by mistake is a 2 minute delay of game, but stopping the game to fight just for shits and giggles does not count as delaying the game.

they dont do it for giggles but alright...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So Ben chiarot is out until either right before the playoffs to the first week of the playoffs.

This could seriously be a blessing.

We can got get a 3.5 million dollar player without having to dump cap.

Unless I have my dates wrong.

No, you're right. If he takes the full 8 weeks that's May 10th. The season will be done for Montreal, but it's also a bye week in the sense that the week of May 9-15 is reserved for make-up games due to covid postponements.

Montreal can LTIR him and have room to bring in $4m defenseman. Cap doesn't apply during playoffs.

If it's 6 weeks that's April 26. He might be back with 5-6 games left. Habs will have to have cap room to add him.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
No, you're right. If he takes the full 8 weeks that's May 10th. The season will be done for Montreal, but it's also a bye week in the sense that the week of May 9-15 is reserved for make-up games due to covid postponements.

Montreal can LTIR him and have room to bring in $4m defenseman. Cap doesn't apply during playoffs.

If it's 6 weeks that's April 26. He might be back with 5-6 games left. Habs will have to have cap room to add him.

It would be fairly minimal though, So let's say we have both Ekholm and Chiarot on the roster at the same time for 2 weeks. We would only need 2 weeks worth of cap space for said player.

Which is like 500k, so if we trade mete in the deal or waive him we should be good.

edit: Im mistaken we'd have to dump weal and waive mete.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Sorry for second reply but let's be real, they could easily just keep him out the extra few games and say they are being cautious cause they expected 8 weeks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad