Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
...and yet D is still the Habs biggest Achilles Heel...so why not fix that??...cuz, last time I checked, there are still 3 teams ahead of us and two right behind (games in hand mean squat unless you win them)...
You need someone who’s willing to trade a useful asset.

I like Hanifin but no way Cgy is dealing him when they’ve got 5-games vs Habs remaining, just as Preds aren’t dealing Ekholm, Yotes not dealing Goligoski etc..

The deals that might happen are UFAs from bottom feeders - Kulikov, Murray etc..

Players with long term deals only get moved in the off-season, unless it’s a Laine for PLD salary in / salary out swap deal with similar age players

Reactions: Holystik

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It sounds like he'll be ready by trade deadline (April 12).

So he's 7-10 days away now.

After the trade deadline, we can increase our roster numbers, but still have to comply with the cap.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He was effective last year because he knew his role and played more defensively.

For some reason this year he suddenly started thinking he's Tyson Barrie or Erik Karlsson and tries to join every offensive rush, which not only ruins chances offensively but usually leads to odd man rushes back the other way.

The coaches need to tell him to watch how Edmundson plays, just clear the front of the net and do your job defensively.

Dach Vader

The Dachside
Mar 31, 2021
He's a good soldier. I like Chariot. He's competes and plays hard for the team.

But he's 30 and has always played a rough game. Injuries etc. Maybe he's starting to slow down, He was pretty decent last season & before that. Ups and downs this year.

Age, body, hockey IQ, deployment/match-up's, chemistry/pairings..etc. . All of the above.

HOPEFULLY he can be solid for us this Saturday along with the rest of the team. Beat these leafs and have these fools shaking please!

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Has he played his way into being a pick for Seattle? Allen would be a fine pick, but chiarot did just put up 35 minutes in an OT win and has been eating big minutes all series. He only has 1 year left but D always have great value. If Seattle take him and flip him at 50% to a contender they probably get more value than they do taking Allen.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He destroyed another guy in OT. That is what he brings. But he tend to get lost. The coaching staff are just another level stupid, couldn't they see he was much better away from Weber when he was injured. This duo just do not work. And every freaking time they put them against Matthews. WTF this is do dumb. This is like throwing The Thing and The Hulk outthere to stop Flash. It doesn't work.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Has he played his way into being a pick for Seattle? Allen would be a fine pick, but chiarot did just put up 35 minutes in an OT win and has been eating big minutes all series. He only has 1 year left but D always have great value. If Seattle take him and flip him at 50% to a contender they probably get more value than they do taking Allen.

let's sure as hell hope so... not sure Francis makes the mistake of looking at a stat line like "35min in OT win" and assuming he was a positive contributor when any closer look reveals how piss poor those 35min were and the W reliant on a HOF goalie playing at close to his peak level....

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
People love to rag on Chiarot and he isn't without flaws but fair play to him, guy is logging some serious minutes in the playoffs for us.

I have ragged on him through my criticism of MBs poor D construction, assembling a bunch of pylons. My concern is more to do with the lack of PMDs. Having an Edmunson or Chiarot is fine, but then you need a PMD.

However, did want to see say at most Chiarot should be playing no.4 minutes, as in 18 min or so. Guy is being way over played due to team need and should not be trashed because of it. Maybe that's also why he pinches, to help with offense, but he shouldn't, he really shouldn't.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I have ragged on him through my criticism of MBs poor D construction, assembling a bunch of pylons. My concern is more to do with the lack of PMDs. Having an Edmunson or Chiarot is fine, but then you need a PMD.

However, did want to see say at most Chiarot should be playing no.4 minutes, as in 18 min or so. Guy is being way over played due to team need and should not be trashed because of it. Maybe that's also why he pinches, to help with offense, but he shouldn't, he really shouldn't.
And you can't blame Chiarot for being pretty mediocre playing with Weber. Both are way too slow and get stuck in the dzone too often.
Place Chiarot with a PMD, like Edmundson with Petry and he'd play way better, we saw that during the regular season when Weber went down.
Chiarot isn't a bad dman, his use is.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
People love to rag on Chiarot and he isn't without flaws but fair play to him, guy is logging some serious minutes in the playoffs for us.
Like several players on this team, it's about being in the "right chair".

The coaching staff asks too much from Chiarot.

He's a solid dman when he doesn't try to do too much with the puck - tough to play against physically and he's a better skater than given credit for.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't hesitate to expose him for the expansion draft.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
To be fair to him he probably had his best game in a long time last game. There's no denial he's taken a drop this season compared to last though.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
On this site many people like to rag on every hab's player.It's like a virtual complaining center.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Holy shit Chiarot was a beast this series! I loved the props Bieksa gave to him after the 2nd last night. Wins just about every battle, attention to detail, smart plays, mean and physical to play against, huge minutes mostly against the Leafs top line. Big Ben's made for playoff hockey!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He's not without his warts, but dude played his ass off and a lot of hard minutes in this series. Not sure his body can handle another series of it, but he was a big part of beating the Leafs.

Reactions: Hins77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->