Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Worst rule in hockey is that you can actually stop to play the game so you can fight with someone else. Probably the only non-combat sport you can do this
And shooting a puck over the glass by mistake is a 2 minute delay of game, but stopping the game to fight just for shits and giggles does not count as delaying the game.

Reactions: dcyhabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It’ll be a buyers market IMO - Leafs, Habs & Jets. How much $ are Preds bleeding? I suspect a lot.

1st + Brook + rights to Ikonen

Muzzin deal: 1st + Grundstrom + rights to Durzi

I still think it will be higher than that, but we'll soon find out...

Also note, if we were to get Ekholm and resign him, we'd likely lose Edmundson to Seattle - if he keeps playing like this.

But:

Ekholm Weber
Edmundson Petry
Chiarot Romanov
Kulak, Mete

is quite a dcore

Reactions: malcb33

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Also note, if we were to get Ekholm and resign him, we'd likely lose Edmundson to Seattle - if he keeps playing like this.

But:

Ekholm Weber
Edmundson Petry
Chiarot Romanov
Kulak, Mete

is quite a dcore
Habs are losing one of Chiarot (entering UFa season) or Edmundson (expansion draft) regardless in the next year.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
And shooting a puck over the glass by mistake is a 2 minute delay of game, but stopping the game to fight just for shits and giggles does not count as delaying the game.

its ALWAYS bothered me, that you could intentionally Ice the puck, and all it costs you is a non-change but you accidentally shoot it over the glass and the team is penalized.. just dont like it

speaking of which, chiarot has to lead the league in puck over glass penalties no? christ

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
its ALWAYS bothered me, that you could intentionally Ice the puck, and all it costs you is a non-change but you accidentally shoot it over the glass and the team is penalized.. just dont like it

speaking of which, chiarot has to lead the league in puck over glass penalties no? christ
Not sure exactly how many puck-over-glass penalties he has (it's got to be a lot) but he's 2nd in the league in PIM's and I'd guess a lot of those are hooking calls because he's been caught out of position or flatfooted.

I never want to see a player injured but at least it's forced the coaches to change up the D pairings.

Reactions: Redux91

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

Same and you just made me realize for the first time that shooting the puck over the glass is essentially icing given the no touch rule. I don’t see why they don’t just change it to be the same rule as icing (puck over glass penalty should be similar to icing and not an actual 2 minute minor)

Reactions: Redux91

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

But:

Ekholm Weber
Edmundson Petry
Chiarot Romanov
Kulak, Mete

is quite a dcore

At this point I'd protect Edmundson and expose Weber. Edmundson is 27. Weber 35. Edmundson is a good partner to Petry. He makes $3.5m. Weber $7.86m. Weber ain't getting faster. If Seattle selects him so be it. We go without a captain again until someone grows into the role.

Chances are high they ignore Weber and take Allen, or a forward.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
At this point I'd protect Edmundson and expose Weber. Edmundson is 27. Weber 35. Edmundson is a good partner to Petry. He makes $3.5m. Weber $7.86m. Weber ain't getting faster. If Seattle selects him so be it. We go without a captain again until someone grows into the role.

Chances are high they ignore Weber and take Allen, or a forward.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

But while Weber's cap hit is 7.86M, he only makes 3M the season after next, and then 1M for the remainder of his contract. So, his contract shouldn't be hard to move. He's still useful, losing him would hurt the team. But can that 7.86M in cap space be better used to make up for his loss?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

But while Weber's cap hit is 7.86M, he only makes 3M the season after next, and then 1M for the remainder of his contract. So, his contract shouldn't be hard to move. He's still useful, losing him would hurt the team. But can that 7.86M in cap space be better used to make up for his loss?

Hopefully, Dougie Hamilton?

Just don't think Weber is an auto-protect anymore. Edmundson is 8 years younger & cheaper.

If Chiarot goes in Ekholm trade, and we lose Weber, we come back next year with: Ekholm, Edmundson, Petry, Romanov, probably Kulak and Fleury too. If Romanov isn't ready for a top 4 spot then we'd need a RHD either through trade or UFA.

But, I don't think we lose Weber probably Allen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Just don't think Weber is an auto-protect anymore. Edmundson is 8 years younger & cheaper.

If Chiarot goes in Ekholm trade, and we lose Weber, we come back next year with: Ekholm, Edmundson, Petry, Romanov, probably Kulak and Fleury too. If Romanov isn't ready for a top 4 spot then we'd need a RHD either through trade or UFA.

The other variable in all of this is, even if MB gives up the arm and a leg I think it will take to land Ekholm, and even if he is able to re-sign Ekholm, how much will the cap hit be? His agent knows there are 31 other teams that are just waiting to try to get him to sign with them this summer.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The other variable in all of this is, even if MB gives up the arm and a leg I think it will take to land Ekholm, and even if he is able to re-sign Ekholm, how much will the cap hit be? His agent knows there are 31 other teams that are just waiting to try to get him to sign with them this summer.

He's UFA summer 2022, so you get a full season out of him. I'm guessing Muzzin money -- $5.5m.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Habs just won a game where they gave up 1 goal, and about 20 shots on the road and everyone wants to change the defense?

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014

We protect Weber just for the value of what his contract will do to the preds. It's worth a lot so you don't throw an investment like that just for the hell of it.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
So a 1st + Mete? Or Kulak? Or... Chiarot? :naughty::help:

I wonder what kind of roster player, bit of a variance overall amongst all roster players in the league ;)

Btw I just watched the Preds lineup on dailyfaceoff and it's brutal wth? Are they just injury-riddled?
I still think that one of Danault, Tatar or even Drouin + 1st as a base for Ekholm would be mutually beneficial. I'd rather trade one of Danault of Tatar due to UFA concerns but I'm open to letting go of Drouin while he's playing good. LD > Winger.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I wonder what kind of roster player, bit of a variance overall amongst all roster players in the league ;)

Btw I just watched the Preds lineup on dailyfaceoff and it's brutal wth? Are they just injury-riddled?
I still think that one of Danault, Tatar or even Drouin + 1st as a base for Ekholm would be mutually beneficial. I'd rather trade one of Danault of Tatar due to UFA concerns but I'm open to letting go of Drouin while he's playing good. LD > Winger.

Drouin +1st for Ekholm? What? ahah! That would be dreadful. :)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

The puck over the glass rule saved hockey.. before it was instituted, every time you saw a player under any duress, they rifled it over the glass and stopped play.

It's important for offense for the team to have an incentive not to stop play, so that turn overs can occur.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Drouin +1st for Ekholm? What? ahah! That would be dreadful. :)

Do you mean for the Preds? Ekholm is an excellent defenseman. Drouin, with all due respect, is pretty average. Offense-first, pass-first skilled winger who barely puts 50 points and less than 20 goals. Ekholm is a much more useful player, and can eat minutes without looking out of place like a guy like Chiarot. Would be a great complement to a Petry.

Also costs less than Drouin, although will be due to a raise tbf. From the POV of the Habs I think it's a no brainer. I worry more about the Preds laughing at the offer, but maybe they really need a winger like we did a few years ago. It would create a hole in offense, but imo it's much better than having the left side of our D completely exposed.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Do you mean for the Preds? Ekholm is an excellent defenseman. Drouin, with all due respect, is pretty average. Offense-first, pass-first skilled winger who barely puts 50 points and less than 20 goals. Ekholm is a much more useful player, and can eat minutes without looking out of place like a guy like Chiarot. Would be a great complement to a Petry.

Also costs less than Drouin, although will be due to a raise tbf. From the POV of the Habs I think it's a no brainer. I worry more about the Preds laughing at the offer, but maybe they really need a winger like we did a few years ago. It would create a hole in offense, but imo it's much better than having the left side of our D completely exposed.

It would be dreadful for the Habs. The NHL ready LW depth is Drouin, UFA Tatar (who is not getting resigned) and two guys playing on the 4th line that haven't shown any offense this year (Lekhonen/Byron). If MB trades Drouin for anything not a LW, he will have to trade someone else for a top 6 LW.

The Habs have nothing to trade but picks, middling prospects, UFAs and bottom 6/pair players this year. Anything else will cripple the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad