Pre-Game Talk: 8/23 8:14 PM ECSF GAME 1 - BRUINS vs Lightning - NBC, SN, SN4K, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Jon Cooper at practice today:

NearBeneficialCatbird-size_restricted.gif

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I remember Maroon skating over (during the pre game skate) and threatening Pasta and Krug. I thought to myself " If Quaider were here you wouldn't be doing that you asshole".

Pat Maroon is so not intimidating but let him think he is anyway. He's a bloated f***ing lummox who thinks he's tough because he pretends to fight Z while clinging onto him for dear life, then loses half the time he picks his spots. Guy sucks.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
What's the big deal about back to backs?

No travel and you're playing the same team.
Recovery, both physically and mentally.

When you see teams sluggish on the tail end of back-to-backs, it has little to do with a plane ride, and more to do with having played the night before.

Sure both teams will have to deal with it (unlike the regular season), but tired teams often play a more defensive style, knowing they don't have their legs.

Also the B's newfound lack of goaltending depth could hurt them. Like starting pitchers, goalies are not used to playing consecutive days.

The NHL's RTP has been great so far, but this is something easily avoidable.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
What's the big deal about back to backs?

No travel and you're playing the same team.

Obviously the travel aspect changes the rest aspect of it, but the body still needs time to recover and it doesn’t matter if you’re on a plane or in a hotel room.

What happens if the first game of a back to back goes to triple OT? The next game is going to be sloppy and a crappy product, it will also be played, as the current schedule is slated for game 3, on an ice surface that has been already used that day.

it’s still summer, the ice has already not been the finest quality. I understand we are in a pandemic and it is a strange time. The NHL is doing the best it can and that is fine, I just don’t see how two back to back game sets in one series is beneficial for anyone.

Reactions: Gordoff

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Pat Maroon is so not intimidating but let him think he is anyway. He's a bloated f***ing lummox who thinks he's tough because he pretends to fight Z while clinging onto him for dear life, then loses half the time he picks his spots. Guy sucks.
Maroon has always been a fraud. His whole career can be attributed to riding the coattails of better players.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Oh yes, Cash is still very much alive and well. And in 1972 he knew how to respond to the Russians and their slashing and stickwork. He gave it back two fold with elbows and mayhem. He only appeared in Games two and three of the Summit Series a win and a tie for Canada, feeding Espo in each game to pick up two assists. He had 14 PIM's in the two games, he and J.P. "Greasy" Parise wreaked havoc on the Soviets. After Game 3 the Soviet Coach Bobrov said about Cash "If this game had been played in Europe, he would have spent the whole game in the penalty box". They were scared shitless of him. During the break before going over to Moscow, Team Canada played two games against the Swedes to acclimate to the larger ice. Cash took a stick in the mouth which nearly severed his tongue. He took fifty stitches and was unable to play in the final four games.
I remember him saying that the Soviet players sharpened the ends of their sticks to a "razor sharp edge." I thought it was a Soviet player who did that (slashing his tongue). They didn't appreciate fighting but open up a guy with your stick was fine I guess. Thank God nobody was maimed for life or killed in the end.

Reactions: bbfan419

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Needless to say they’re still a dangerous team without Stamkos. If he comes back vs Boston it’ll be difficult keeping them off the scoresheet. Carlo really going to have to have a better series. He was not “on” in round 1

The only playoff experience he's had was last year. Two years before he was knocked out of the lineup by knee injuries.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He is a big thick guy.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Recovery, both physically and mentally.

When you see teams sluggish on the tail end of back-to-backs, it has little to do with a plane ride, and more to do with having played the night before.

Sure both teams will have to deal with it (unlike the regular season), but tired teams often play a more defensive style, knowing they don't have their legs.

Also the B's newfound lack of goaltending depth could hurt them. Like starting pitchers, goalies are not used to playing consecutive days.

The NHL's RTP has been great so far, but this is something easily avoidable.
I think the NHL wants the bubble experience over sooner rather than later. Players probably do as well

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Guess the Swedes weren't quite scared shitless of him.
Using your stick on another player like that is usually the result of someone being that scared. It's a nasty way to deal with being in fear rather than dealing with the tough stuff by hitting/fighting. Anyway IIRC the Canadian team was pretty heavily penalized for their physical rough play by the mostly Eastern European referees.

Reactions: bbfan419

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I remember Maroon skating over (during the pre game skate) and threatening Pasta and Krug. I thought to myself " If Quaider were here you wouldn't be doing that you asshole".
Ritchie NEEDS to be involved. I know that we're outnumber like 4-1 goon wise but if he can give a beatdown to a couple of them as soon as they start their usual crapola it can help win the series. If Ritchie can't get his head into this series and isn't effective or is useless it'll be the end of him here IMO. He has one role to fill and he better damn well do it.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Ritchie NEEDS to be involved. I know that we're outnumber like 4-1 goon wise but if he can give a beatdown to a couple of them as soon as they start their usual crapola it can help win the series. If Ritchie can't get his head into this series and isn't effective or is useless it'll be the end of him here IMO. He has one role to fill and he better damn well do it.
I say this all of the time but I miss Quaider and Kevan.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I remember him saying that the Soviet players sharpened the ends of their sticks to a "razor sharp edge." I thought it was a Soviet player who did that (slashing his tongue). They didn't appreciate fighting but open up a guy with your stick was fine I guess. Thank God nobody was maimed for life or killed in the end.

That sounds like bullshit.

And it was against the Swedes.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Using your stick on another player like that is usually the result of someone being that scared. It's a nasty way to deal with being in fear rather than dealing with the tough stuff by hitting/fighting. Anyway IIRC the Canadian team was pretty heavily penalized for their physical rough play by the mostly Eastern European referees.

Using the stick like that is something Cashman was famous for.

Your depiction of the European players is ridiculous.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Honestly I like the guy but you're right, he really isn't someone to worry about besides his f***ing beatable face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad