Pre-Game Talk: 8/23 8:14 PM ECSF GAME 1 - BRUINS vs Lightning - NBC, SN, SN4K, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ef_ZZ6YWsAAcRYJ

The Boston Bruins and the Tampa Bay Lighting are set for another postseason showdown.

The two teams will match up for the third time since 2011, this time in the second round of the 2020 NHL Playoffs.

The matchup is set after the Philadelphia Flyers advanced with a win over the Montreal Canadiens on Friday night, taking that series in six games. Philadelphia will now play the New York Islanders for a trip to the Eastern Conference finals.

Game 1 of the Boston-Tampa Bay series is set for 8 p.m. on Sunday night on NBC

The Bruins and Lightning were supposed to square off last year, when the Lightning were the best team in the East, but Tampa Bay was swept out of the opening round by the Columbus Blue Jackets. They’ll now meet in the East semis for the second time in three years, with the Lightning taking their last postseason meeting in just five games back in 2018.

Boston got the best of the Lightning back in the 2011 Eastern Conference finals, winning a dramatic seven-game series en route to their Stanley Cup title.

As for this year’s matchup, the Bruins didn’t enjoy much regular season success against the Lightning, going 1-2-1 against Tampa. They also dropped their matchup in round robin play, 3-2 on Aug. 5, sinking the Presidents’ Trophy winners to the No. 4 seed in the East.

It was a brutal loss for the Bruins two weeks ago in Toronto. They fell behind 2-0 in the first period, eventually tying the game early in the third on a goal by Chris Wagner. The game looked destined for overtime, until Tyler Johnson beat Tuukka Rask with just 1:27 left on the clock. Boston finished 0-3 in round robin play before beating the Carolina Hurricanes in five games in the first round.

In the regular season, Tampa took the first matchup with a 4-3 shootout victory in Boston back in October. David Pastrnak scored twice and Patrice Bergeron had Boston’s other goal (all three on the power play), while Brayden Point, Mathieu Joseph and Kevin Shattenkirk scored for Tampa. Steven Stamkos scored the only goal of the shootout.

The Bruins lost in Tampa on Dec. 12, 3-2, with Stamkos scoring twice for the Lightning. Nikita Kucherov notched a pair of assists, while Bergeron and John Moore scored for Boston.

Boston won their only game over Tampa on March 3 in Florida, a 2-1 victory on goals by Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk. Tuukka Rask stopped 20 of the 21 shots he saw that night. Tampa Bay got some revenge a few days later in Boston, handing the Bruins a 5-3 loss on March 7. Tampa jumped out to a 3-0 lead early in the second period, with Anthony Cirelli and Mikhail Sergachev scoring shorthanded goals in the first period. Five different Lightning scored against Rask that night.

Of course, Rask won’t be in net for Boston after he opted out of the NHL bubble last weekend. Jaroslav Halak is now Boston’s top netminder, and will see the Lightning for the first time since the 2017-18 season when he was a member of the Islanders. Halak made a relief appearances against Tampa that season, allowing one goal on 12 shots in a 7-6 loss, after Christopher Gibson allowed six goals over a period and a half.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It feels like this should be the ECF, as these are the top 2 teams in the east while Flyers-Islanders are the lesser 2, but we probably had to face Tampa at some point so it may as well be now.

Even without Rask, I feel that the Bruins are in a better place to face the Bolts than they were 2 years ago. Tampa will be favorites, and rightly so, but the Bruins can win this series. They'll need to be better 5v5 on offense, they'll need their top 2 lines to really come to play, and our D will have to be at its very best and give Halak as much help and cover as they can. When Tampa gets physical, and they will, the Bs can't take a backward step in meeting that challenge, but they don't want to get distracted or do something stupid either, as that will play right into Tampa's hands, and you know the refs will show them no favors on that front.

So I guess I'm cautiously optimistic, and it's definitely going to be a great, feisty series. Looking forward to it.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Halak needs to be on top of his game. This is not Carolina. They have better scorers. Forward wise and defensive both teams are great. Goalie is the one area of my concern and I hope Halak is up for it.

Reactions: Paddington

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Glad Pastrnak got one game in before this. There was some rust, but hopefully that one game and some focused practices have him 100%.

The last lineup was great against the Canes; but as this series takes on a nasty tone, we may see Lauzon or even Ritchie. I hope the refs don't cower and let the shenanigans go, prompting such a move.

The goaltending matchup now favors Tampa. The margin for error is much lower for a Halak against Tampa. Hopefully he embraces the opportunity and plays lights out.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Any chance any of these games will be earlier than 8?

Since each arena should only have one game per day, I would guess that NBCSN doesn't mind repeating the 7:00 / 9:45 split that we had today on the weekdays - particularly if we're on the same day as DAL/COL. It's a 8:45 local start in Dallas and they would want it as early as possible.

If we're on the same day as Vancouver, they might go for an 8:00 / 10:45 split to avoid a pre-7 start in Vancouver locally. It all depends on who else is playing in Edmonton - sliding in from one game to the next is part of their grand scheme. If you have 7 and then 10:45 - you've got an hour of Liam and/or Kathryn at the NBCSN SportsDesk(R).

But they'd be nuts to do any more daytime games during the week. The weekday schedule is perfect for two games at night and late night.

Geordie Bruin

Dec 27, 2018
Newcastle
Big boy hockey time. No more slow starts. No more playing from behind in every game. No backwards step.

Remember the way these f***ing pukes were running around at the Garden back in March. Pat Maroon playing the ‘tough guy’ while rats like Pacquette, Cirelli, Goodrow and Gourde were cheap shotting everything in sight.

If we play at full tempo, forecheck the f*** out of them, drill Hedman and Point at every possible opportunity then we beat these.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
What worries me here is that with Vladar as our backup, one of those turds like Paquette, Cirelli, or Maroon is going to full on run Halak until he gets injured.

Reactions: BMC

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Any backtobacks on this series? Could Vladar get a start? Also is Stamkos still injured?

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
What worries me here is that with Vladar as our backup, one of those turds like Paquette, Cirelli, or Maroon is going to full on run Halak until he gets injured.

The rest of the team knows this so they will protect Halak. That's just normal for teams in this situation. I would worry more about COVID-19, if I were you and I think you should as well.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Sunday at 8:00, Tuesday at 7:00, Wednesday at 8:00 and Friday at 7:30.

I hope Halak is up to it but either way, let's hope for no injuries by those dirty Bolts.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
Would only think it's possible they play Vladar in game 3 if the Bruins are up 2-0. Game's 5&6 are Halak's, if and no matter what.

As far as this series goes, thinking they're going to need Pasta healthy to pull this one off. If he doesn't miss any games, confident the Bruins can beat them.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
And leave the in the same way. The battle is on. Tell your dirty Russian Nikita Khrushcev-rof to leave his stick on the ice, not in anyone's back or the ghost of Wayne Cashman shall be summoned.

We don't need Wayne's ghost - he's still very much alive! Being an Ontario native, I'm sure we could slip the real thing into the bubble to take care of business if needed. Even at 75 I'd back him to still be more than capable of sorting out a few of those Bolts pretenders.

cut.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca