Post-Game Talk: 8-0-1 - Canucks def. Kraken - 5-2 (Podkolzin, Hoglander, Motte, Garland, Pearson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Forget about Burroughs and Hunt......if they can ever find a way to get Rathbone back into the mix, he'll thrive under Boudreau. There wasn't a guy on the entire roster who fared worse under Green. He needs a re-set.

Yah Rathbone’s similar to Hunt (bit better offensively) but younger with much more potential. Hunt has played well but wouldn’t mind seeing this swap at sometime in the near future.

Borroughs makes some bone-headed mistakes and is decent under 8 minutes per game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
You mentioned 3 reasons why she’s a top candidate

1. former very respected pro athlete
2. Harvard Educated
3. Excellent communicator

She has a BA that she presumably attended on a sports scholarship. I trust she’s a good candidate from something, but it’s definitely not to provide psychological help to athletes.

Reactions: Pip

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
She has a BA that she presumably attended on a sports scholarship. I trust she’s a good candidate from something, but it’s definitely not to provide psychological help to athletes.

Sorry, a pet peeve off mine, and not directed at you, I just finally had to write this... Harvard does not offer athletic scholarships.

Does Harvard offer scholarships?
No. As an Ivy League institution, Harvard does not offer athletic or academic scholarships to students. However, Harvard does provide need-based financial aid to those students who demonstrate financial need. To learn more about applying for financial aid at Harvard, visit https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yah Rathbone’s similar to Hunt (bit better offensively) but younger with much more potential. Hunt has played well but wouldn’t mind seeing this swap at sometime in the near future.

Borroughs makes some bone-headed mistakes and is decent under 8 minutes per game.

Hunt is exactly what we’ve paid for - a good soldier who is best in practice, the press box, or Abbotsford, who can fill in for injuries when needed. He won’t be a world beater when he does, but he’s about what you get at that price tag. That he’s a great teammate is a big plus.

Burroughs has been a pleasant surprise - also relative to his price tag. On a good/great/elite team, he probably doesn’t crack the top six. But he’s played some solid minutes for us this year for bargain pricing.

It’s definitely a big step up from seeing the likes of Luca Sbisa or Erik Gudbranson, who are both inferior players, getting multi-million / multi-year contracts.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Hunt is exactly what we’ve paid for - a good soldier who is best in practice, the press box, or Abbotsford, who can fill in for injuries when needed. He won’t be a world beater when he does, but he’s about what you get at that price tag. That he’s a great teammate is a big plus.

Burroughs has been a pleasant surprise - also relative to his price tag. On a good/great/elite team, he probably doesn’t crack the top six. But he’s played some solid minutes for us this year for bargain pricing.

It’s definitely a big step up from seeing the likes of Luca Sbisa or Erik Gudbranson, who are both inferior players, getting multi-million / multi-year contracts.
I don't know what vodoo is Sutter doing in Calgary because the Flames have best defence in the league along with Carolina. 67GA in 30 games is crazy. We gave up almost 30+goals with Demko playing god mode for a month. Doing that with Guddy and Zadorov is even more impressive.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
10-1-1 in the last 12 and all it's done is give the team a fighting chance. Just amazing how deep a hole this team dug.
ReliableCheerfulChrysomelid-size_restricted.gif

Ok thats the last time I do that I SWEAR :laugh:

(probably not)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't know what vodoo is Sutter doing in Calgary because the Flames have best defence in the league along with Carolina. 67GA in 30 games is crazy. We gave up almost 30+goals with Demko playing god mode for a month. Doing that with Guddy and Zadorov is even more impressive.

One thing Sutter has always, always excelled at is having his teams play well defensively. And when they also have A) excellent goaltending (like he had with Kipprusoff, Quick and now Markstrom) and B) The offensive talent to punish teams on the counter attack (only had Iginla, really, in his first go round with Calgary, but he was elite - had an embarrassment of riches in LA, and has a lot of good offensive talent to work with in Calgary again), the results flow.

IMO - issue is players don’t always like playing in that system for too long. So it’s championship or bust for Calgary now.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
It sucks that this has happened in the first year of a big money deal, but I’m not super worried about Petey long term. A lot of good players - the Sedins included - went through struggles and adversity their first few years in the league. Nathan MacKinnon is actually a good example of a player who had a strong rookie campaign and then a couple of years of inconsistent play before becoming the dominating force he is now.

Anyway - patience with Pettersson is needed, is what I am trying to say.

Heh just looked up Mackinnon's numbers, that makes me feel slightly better.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Sorry, a pet peeve off mine, and not directed at you, I just finally had to write this... Harvard does not offer athletic scholarships.

Does Harvard offer scholarships?
No. As an Ivy League institution, Harvard does not offer athletic or academic scholarships to students. However, Harvard does provide need-based financial aid to those students who demonstrate financial need. To learn more about applying for financial aid at Harvard, visit https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid.

The money was irrelevant, the SIGNIFICANT amount of aid and lenience afforded to college athletes in the states was the point.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Congrats to all the fellow posters that called out our incompetent coaching long ago

many on here said to wait until the season is done but a vocal few knew the roster was not the issue and a change to competent coaching is all we need

watching hockey with competent coaching is fun again

jb made many mistakes but Wille and Green were his biggest

what makes me shake my head is the delusional few that think Green will ever get a nhl gig again
Good point, Sedinery. I thought this would be a strong team this year. I was shattered at the performance. There were a couple of things that Green did, that bugged me (the gap we gave the other teams defence, for example) but I simply didn't know where the problems lay. I tend to fob off armchair quarterbacks, as it is easy to criticise without giving specifics or suggest solutions. In this case I was clearly wrong and several people saw Green for what he was.

Prometheus

May 14, 2018
Heh just looked up Mackinnon's numbers, that makes me feel slightly better.

More recently look up William Nylander after holding out for his last contract. Iirc the remainder of that season was pretty bad for him, but hes doing all right now...

Prometheus

May 14, 2018
The money was irrelevant, the SIGNIFICANT amount of aid and lenience afforded to college athletes in the states was the point.

Some of my students have studied at Harvard. I have heard stories... yes all anecdotal but... Technically sudent athletes may not be offered scholarships, but lets just say not all Harvard degrees are equal and not all students are necessarily measured by the same standards.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Some of my students have studied at Harvard. I have heard stories... yes all anecdotal but... Technically sudent athletes may not be offered scholarships, but lets just say not all Harvard degrees are equal and not all students are necessarily measured by the same standards.

i have zero doubt this is correct

but re: what kind of education botterill did or didn’t get, i would assume that the kind of breaks a male athlete in a money-generating sport would get at an ivy league school are probably astronomically more degree-invalidating than someone on a women’s hockey team

Reactions: Dab and bobbyb2009

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

Hey, look, it wasn't really my point to make this into a conversation about the money or student athletes in college.

But as Vadim said above, we are talking women's hockey here.

I was involved in University sport, albeit in Canada. Some profs gave leeway to us, and others treated us worse simply because we were "jocks."

In every case, the idea and justification is to support student athletes to varying degrees, due to the fact that the student has a full time job requirement with the university that literally takes up more time than the education they are there for (one in which they are not paid for). Yes, at some US schools, in sports of where $$ is the driver for the school, I bet athletes are given "leniency": in inappropriate ways. But women's hockey? And Harvard? Prof's may work together with an athletic department to provide ways around conflicts etc., but to suggest that this is inappropriate or unfair to to a student without those conflicts in representing the school in collegiate sport is downright silly.

I do not buy your premise in any way in this case.

And the fact that she was able to get a degree at such a school while working for her sport, while managing these two massive commitments, would say a great deal about her ability to work in any role and any company.

Having said that, I do not know anything more about her than the rest of you, and I have no idea what role she would be Best for in an organization like the Canucks.

Reactions: Dab

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
She’s not applying for the sports psychologists role, mate.

I think it’s pretty telling people will brush off her education. So many college players that go to Ivy League schools choose those schools not for the hockey but for the education. There were likely better hockey choices for her, but she went to Harvard- good for her.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
She’s not applying for the sports psychologists role, mate.

I think it’s pretty telling people will brush off her education. So many college players that go to Ivy League schools choose those schools not for the hockey but for the education. There were likely better hockey choices for her, but she went to Harvard- good for her.
Exactly. She went to Harvard on an athletic scholarship and wisely completed her degree what with the limited opportunities to continue on in women's hockey. Still doesn't change the fact that she completed a degree at perhaps the top school in the world. Consider this: what are the educational backgrounds of her male peers (GMs and AGMs)?

Suddenly her degree (provisos about being a student athlete) looks damn good by comparison.

Not saying that she should be hired. I don't know enough to form an informed opinion. But there does seem to be a bit of double standard at play here.

RainbowDeathBunny

Apr 27, 2007
Exactly. She went to Harvard on an athletic scholarship and wisely completed her degree what with the limited opportunities to continue on in women's hockey. Still doesn't change the fact that she completed a degree at perhaps the top school in the world. Consider this: what are the educational backgrounds of her male peers (GMs and AGMs)?

Suddenly her degree (provisos about being a student athlete) looks damn good by comparison.

Not saying that she should be hired. I don't know enough to form an informed opinion. But there does seem to be a bit of double standard at play here.

I think what makes me question the merit of a Harvard education is that Weisbrod was also a Harvard alumni. We saw how that worked out…

I’ve had experience at a different ivy institution, and it boggled my mind how money resulted in leniency. I’m not saying she paid her way to a degree, but my personal experience has since made me leery of blindly respecting any education, whether it’s from an Ivy League school or not. IMHO, a track record of success speaks much more loudly than a degree alone (I’m sure most agree…).

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I think what makes me question the merit of a Harvard education is that Weisbrod was also a Harvard alumni. We saw how that worked out…

I’ve had experience at a different ivy institution, and it boggled my mind how money resulted in leniency. I’m not saying she paid her way to a degree, but my personal experience has since made me leery of blindly respecting any education, whether it’s from an Ivy League school or not. IMHO, a track record of success speaks much more loudly than a degree alone (I’m sure most agree…).
A certain former president went to UPenn and Aaron Rodgers went to UC Berkeley. N0, I agree that you can't base your opinion on school alone, especially in the case of legacy admits and student athletes. But what I was taking exception to, was that her getting a degree from Harvard was discounted because she was a collegiate athlete. That's also not fair.

As for Ivy league students, I've had a lot of experience since I work at one. The course work is demanding for basically for any course you take and they won't cut you much in the way of slack or hold your hand.

For a good example, look at what happened to our prospect, Patrick McNally: drafted in 2010, went to Harvard, got caught up in the cheating scandal, suspended for a year, never really recovered. Not sure if he ended up completing his degree, but it shows that Harvard doesn't mess around.

As for a proven track record, that's tough to have that as a pioneer. Only way to have one would be to get the opportunity to work in a front office in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad