Post-Game Talk: 8-0-1 - Canucks def. Kraken - 5-2 (Podkolzin, Hoglander, Motte, Garland, Pearson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I hope EP does not turn out to be a video game playing zombie like Laine

i am not seeing a Sedin like commitment to the game and self improvement

i totally understand he is young and has a huge runway, would just like to see more effort

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It sucks that this has happened in the first year of a big money deal, but I’m not super worried about Petey long term. A lot of good players - the Sedins included - went through struggles and adversity their first few years in the league. Nathan MacKinnon is actually a good example of a player who had a strong rookie campaign and then a couple of years of inconsistent play before becoming the dominating force he is now.

Anyway - patience with Pettersson is needed, is what I am trying to say.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don't think this team makes the playoffs without Pettersson getting his head straight.

back when roids were more prevalent in the league, it used to be a cliche that young guys would overdo the offseason bulk up and lose their effectiveness. pettersson looks like he did that but didn't add any bulk. he's still physically outmatched but also a day late and a dollar short on his decisions and execution.

he also plays like a guy who has no confidence and is just trying to get through each shift one at a time and make plays to help his team mates not himself.

we have to wait on the guy though. absolutely no way no how do we trade him right now.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i cannot tell. it is a puzzle to watch him. he could be a guy trying very hard out there and look like he is. or he could be somewhere else all the way out to a guy intentionally dogging it. the transformation of the rest of the team has barely touched his play, so perhaps the thing that was bugging him has not changed.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Happy with the result and team play yesterday, even if it was against the struggling Kraken. Always good to see a bounce back effort after the sluggish and lucky point in LA.

Personally, I find that you can judge how effective your coach is by how long the lulls are for your team.

I've been liking the way the aggressive and supporting forecheck gives more quality opportunities for each guy on a line to capitalize. This style of play is much better for this roster which has a pretty good floor of scoring skill (as opposed to a top heavy scoring team like the Oilers). It means really you only need one of your forwards to have a better than average night and you will likely get goals.

Before, things were so predictable and stale, teams knew we would pass it around alot and always had to get it to certain guys, which became easy to defend.

We are fortunate the defence has held up so far but you gotta think eventually something will come loose. Demko and Halak are thankfully still in the zone, but it is never sustainable.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I'm also wondering this. Why does this guy have all the hate?

He played for a division rival in the Kings for many years, but why no hate for Calgary/Edmonton then? It's bizarre. I remember a game earlier this year where the Canucks were getting worked on the scoreboard and they cut to him during the intermission. He was overjoyed, huge crap-eating grin. David Amber scolded him a bit ("This isn't a laughing matter for the Canucks") and he straightened his expression and pretended to give neutral analysis for a bit, but yeah, he clearly does not like Vancouver. It's not the players, he shat on the Canucks all through the 2011 cup run too. It's either ownership or the city itself he doesn't like.

Him and Cassie Campbell-Pascal too, but she's married to the Flames AGM so that makes sense. I don't know why they need him on the panel for Canucks games if you have to bring in Bieksa just to balance his smarminess. Why not just put him on other, non-Canucks games?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He played for a division rival in the Kings for many years, but why no hate for Calgary/Edmonton then? It's bizarre. I remember a game earlier this year where the Canucks were getting worked on the scoreboard and they cut to him during the intermission. He was overjoyed, huge crap-eating grin. David Amber scolded him a bit ("This isn't a laughing matter for the Canucks") and he straightened his expression and pretended to give neutral analysis for a bit, but yeah, he clearly does not like Vancouver. It's not the players, he shat on the Canucks all through the 2011 cup run too. It's either ownership or the city itself he doesn't like.

Him and Cassie Campbell-Pascal too, but she's married to the Flames AGM so that makes sense. I don't know why they need him on the panel for Canucks games if you have to bring in Bieksa just to balance his smarminess. Why not just put him on other, non-Canucks games?

It’s always been the way with HNIC, frankly. That we even have Bieksa there giving something of a positive voice to all things Canuck is a massive improvement over the status quo. The days of having Mark Lee and call our games and then cutting to a panel that included Healy, Stock and Ron MacLean were the stuff of nightmares.

Hrudey’s bizarre rage boner for the Canucks is nothing new on HNIC.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It’s always been the way with HNIC, frankly. That we even have Bieksa there giving something of a positive voice to all things Canuck is a massive improvement over the status quo. The days of having Mark Lee and call our games and then cutting to a panel that included Healy, Stock and Ron MacLean were the stuff of nightmares.

Or having Nick Kypreous and Doug McLean shouting at each other..?..Seems like a distant memory now.

Reactions: Indiana

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Yeah, I know, CBC was tough to watch before Bieksa's hire... PJ Stock was the bloody worst, a full on Bruins fan. At least with Ron MacLean it's not so much that he cheers for a team, rather that he's a referee groupy and hates us for the Auger incident. But is it ownership or the fans Hrudey doesn't like? It can't be management, he hated us with previous management.

Kyper wasn't a Canucks fan, but he gave credit where it was due. He just didn't like the non-aggressive make-up of our team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Or having Nick Kypreous and Doug McLean shouting at each other..?..Seems like a distant memory now.

Thankfully that was relatively short lived after the Rogers / CBC merger. But they were Sportsnet’s multi headed monster for a long time leading up to that.

Bieksa and Botterill were colossal upgrades to CBC’s hockey panel. Burke, while he was there, was excellent too. With Burke moving on (and possibly Botterill coming to Vancouver?), Bieksa is going to be in the extreme minority again quite soon.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Thankfully that was relatively short lived after the Rogers / CBC merger. But they were Sportsnet’s multi headed monster for a long time leading up to that.

Bieksa and Botterill were colossal upgrades to CBC’s hockey panel. Burke, while he was there, was excellent too. With Burke moving on (and possibly Botterill coming to Vancouver?), Bieksa is going to be in the extreme minority again quite soon.

wait I thought his name is Bieska
:sarcasm:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Forget about Burroughs and Hunt......if they can ever find a way to get Rathbone back into the mix, he'll thrive under Boudreau. There wasn't a guy on the entire roster who fared worse under Green. He needs a re-set.
You could say that the entire D has had a resurgence after Green/Baumgartner..

I’d like to see Rathbone get another shot..He definitely needed to work on his defensive game though.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Burroughs only played 2.44 last night..Looks like Bruce has a preference for Hunt.

well he really needs a lefty dman to play the left side. nobody wants to watch burroughs kill the offence with his fluttering backhanders from the left point.

boudreau was also doing weird stuff with hunt like that pp time. maybe trying to get him more game time to get him going.

so far boudreau reminds me of vigneault, confidently trying different stuff on the fly with players trying to unlock or find something extra. it is one thing green did not do at all, let alone well, with way too many ponderous overly set piece experiments that created too many expectations.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I'm always curious about Brad Shaw's contribution on defense. I have to think that Boudreau was consulted about repositioning him as the D coach, and Scott Walker was a Bruce recommendation for the special teams.

So far, this coaching mix is working under Boudreau. Needless to say, but I will, thank you Ian Clark!

Reactions: Indiana

Nov 1, 2011
well he really needs a lefty dman to play the left side. nobody wants to watch burroughs kill the offence with his fluttering backhanders from the left point.

boudreau was also doing weird stuff with hunt like that pp time. maybe trying to get him more game time to get him going.

so far boudreau reminds me of vigneault, confidently trying different stuff on the fly with players trying to unlock or find something extra. it is one thing green did not do at all, let alone well, with way too many ponderous overly set piece experiments that created too many expectations.

It's having enough confidence to try the ideas you have...

And being smart + experienced enough to have good ideas.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I realized I've been a lot more satisfied after watching the games under BB. I don't need to come on here ranting and raving afterwards. Happy new year all, having a good hockey team to watch will definitely raise my quality of life in 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad