OT: 71st Obsequious Banter Thread: Hey, we're just one away from revisiting the Zeppinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
This is kind of, tangentially, why I objected to Dylan and the Pulitzer. Writers are marginalized way more than enough as it is. Then there is the aspect of book reviewers with a social-justice agenda, which would be fine if they didn't let that agenda completely overwhelm them. If only the world would listen to me.

Sometimes I wonder why I follow authors on Twitter. Half the stuff they tweet is off the deep end and has no relations to their works. I blame my desire to win free books.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Bryz is probably a sci-fi reader. I still need to read Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. But I'm not the biggest sci-fi novel reader. Love sci-fi shows though.

I'm the same, and I will repeat something I have been saying since the original "Battlestar Galactica" finished its run - it is shocking to me that there haven't been more "space opera" books, shows and films in the past 40 years - because there really haven't been that many - in the enormous wake of the popularity of "Star Wars." We have had explosions of zombie apocalypse and dystopian future entertainment, which is fine when it is done well (and with the latter especially, that is extremely rare), but a real dearth of space opera. It's just completely bizarre.

Sometimes I wonder why I follow authors on Twitter. Half the stuff they tweet is off the deep end and has no relations to their works. I blame my desire to win free books.

That's one thing I don't do, follow famous people I like. Mostly because I spend most of my time ignoring Twitter, I guess, but it's like I was saying with music - I don't want to see or hear something that is going to ruin them for me, even if it has nothing to do with their politics or personal beliefs. I am also deathly allergic to spoilers. ****ing hate them. Also, the place is full of amateur self-appointed constitutional democracy experts, and it is really, really stupid.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I'm the same, and I will repeat something I have been saying since the original "Battlestar Galactica" finished its run - it is shocking to me that there haven't been more "space opera" books, shows and films in the past 40 years - because there really haven't been that many - in the enormous wake of the popularity of "Star Wars." We have had explosions of zombie apocalypse and dystopian future entertainment, which is fine when it is done well (and with the latter especially, that is extremely rare), but a real dearth of space opera. It's just completely bizarre.

That's one thing I don't do, follow famous people I like. Mostly because I spend most of my time ignoring Twitter, I guess, but it's like I was saying with music - I don't want to see or hear something that is going to ruin them for me, even if it has nothing to do with their politics or personal beliefs. I am also deathly allergic to spoilers. ****ing hate them. Also, the place is full of amateur self-appointed constitutional democracy experts, and it is really, really stupid.

So in One Piece, Luffy does this thing. Zoro is at this place. Chopper is flailing about. Nami and Robin are doing something. Things!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So in One Piece, Luffy does this thing. Zoro is at this place. Chopper is flailing about. Nami and Robin are doing something. Things!

source.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Chinatown88

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I spend less and less time on my professional-facing account because it's now overrun with InfoSec people and Sofrware Engineers wistfully talking about leaving everything for the simple life of farming. These people would largely melt into tiny, nerdy puddles of goo after one "simple" day of farming.

I'm so happy people are moving to other platforms.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Oh my god. This is from Cholowski's choice.

I was happier when these things only existed in theory. Now I'm forced to accept reality.

big deal. this is what everyone went through in boot camp or basic training. along with cleaning up the place and washing/folding your clothes. it's called mom ain't gonna baby you no more class lol.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh my god. This is from Cholowski's choice.

I was happier when these things only existed in theory. Now I'm forced to accept reality.

I'm pretty sure McRaven would cough "bullshit" when reading that. People are just bad at reading/listening comprehension. His point in that speech was "control what you can and don't freak out about what you cannot." Making your bed was an example of something super basic that you can control. Hordes of people (Probably the kind gullible enough to fall for Lobsterman Peterson) completely missed the point and concluded "Making your bed will revolutionize your life."

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Season 10 of ER, I'm averaging a season every 3 days now. So many cameos or actors that appeared on this show that went on to be in big things...Dennis from Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Aaron Paul, Nick Offerman, https://www.imdb.com/list/ls050387421/ pretty impressive list

You have five more after this. I very much wish I didn't know that, but I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad