Post-Game Talk: #70: Capitals at FLYERS, Thursday, Mar. 14, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Haven’t we been saying that for a very long time now? I’ve only been a fan since the 12-13 season (around then) and we just seem to scream mediocre.
Well I feel bad that became a fan just as we were entering a much needed rebuild.

I will 100% be surprised if Fletch does not add 1-2 guys in an attempt to take that next step....which we should.

Reactions: CapnZin

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017

Oh, well.

Tough one, all the way around.

But Cout's rib shot on Wilson was fun.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Lindblom and Myers played very well. So did Laughton. His big hit on Oshie was just icing on the cake.

Love Patrick throwing the body and not even backing down from Wilson too. Kid looks like he is made for the orange and black.

Thanks, glad to hear that. All of them have played great of late.

Reactions: CapnZin

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I feel nothing here.

They just barely miss the playoffs, nothing good came of the season. No, not even Hak getting fired, because them only just barely missing highlights the fact that if he was fired before the season started then they easily make it.

They just barely make the playoffs, we get to watch them get relegated to the ECHL in realtime by Tampa in the 1st round.

Truly there is no good scenario left for this team.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Haven’t we been saying that for a very long time now? I’ve only been a fan since the 12-13 season (around then) and we just seem to scream mediocre.

This has been the darkest era for Flyers fans. It used to be the total opposite -- we were competitive every year, and every year we'd make crazy moves.

There's light at the end of the tunnel.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm more optimistic about next season than any season in a looooooooooong time. Legitimately thrilled for the offseason. They're so close. But they are going to need a top notch defenseman and a very good forward. I think they'll be able to.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I feel nothing here.

They just barely miss the playoffs, nothing good came of the season. No, not even Hak getting fired, because them only just barely missing highlights the fact that if he was fired before the season started then they easily make it.

They just barely make the playoffs, we get to watch them get relegated to the ECHL in realtime by Tampa in the 1st round.

Truly there is no good scenario left for this team.

Sign Panarin or Karlsson. That alone pushes us into the next tier of teams & out of the bubble.

Reactions: VladDrag

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Carter Hart's last 6 games:

.871 vs Wash
.667 vs Mtl
.667 vs TB
.974 vs Det
.868 vs Det
.889 vs Pitt

2-4, .875 SV%, 4.39 GAA.

During that same timeframe, Elliott has 7 starts: 5-1-1 record .923 SV%, 2.59 GAA

Talbot has 1 start with us: .918 SV%, 2.57 GAA

Hart helped get us into this position but as also faltered lately. Do you play the 2 vets and let them decide the season? Or just focus on getting Hart starts and see how things play out?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Hart was injured for two of those games and came back from a long layoff. I think his true talent level is still higher than Elliott or Talbot. Alternate the rest of the way and throw in Talbot once every two weeks?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm more optimistic about next season than any season in a looooooooooong time. Legitimately thrilled for the offseason. They're so close. But they are going to need a top notch defenseman and a very good forward. I think they'll be able to.
Nice to finally have the cap space to add what we need, too.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Nice to finally have the cap space to add what we need, too.
Very reminiscent of Holmgren's first summer, when he inherited a TON of cap space and he was able to quickly reload a team that already was stocked with young talent waiting to break out.

Reactions: renberg and Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hart was injured for two of those games and came back from a long layoff. I think his true talent level is still higher than Elliott or Talbot. Alternate the rest of the way and throw in Talbot once every two weeks?
I know Hart has the talent, but in our last 15 games:

Elliott/Talbot/Stolie have a combined 7-1-1. Hart is 2-4. Gordon wants wins and right now, Hart is not giving those.....and of course that doesn't mean that he can't go on a run.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
This game sure showed the team's immense need to add an elite defenseman. The Provorov-Sanheim pair got simply annihilated as the top pair.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Carter Hart's last 6 games:

.871 vs Wash
.667 vs Mtl
.667 vs TB
.974 vs Det
.868 vs Det
.889 vs Pitt

2-4, .875 SV%, 4.39 GAA.

During that same timeframe, Elliott has 7 starts: 5-1-1 record .923 SV%, 2.59 GAA

Talbot has 1 start with us: .918 SV%, 2.57 GAA

Hart helped get us into this position but as also faltered lately. Do you play the 2 vets and let them decide the season? Or just focus on getting Hart starts and see how things play out?
Any way they play it will be fine. After tomorrow, if they go back to Hart as the starter, that's fine. If they win tomorrow and carry on with Elliott to keep pushing for the playoffs, that's fine. If they want to give Talbot an extended look, that's fine.

I am not at all concerned with Hart's recent string of games. We know he was hurt for at least one of the Montreal/Tampa games, the 3rd period collapse against Detroit was on everyone, and today was his first game back after a long layoff. The strength of schedule and the time of year is a good chance to give him games that won't be easy and will prepare him for future stretch drives.

I kind of doubt Talbot gets any real look, but I am unconcerned with whatever they choose.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This has been the darkest era for Flyers fans. It used to be the total opposite -- we were competitive every year, and every year we'd make crazy moves.

There's light at the end of the tunnel.
The reason it's so bad lately is because it took them too long to realize the way you build a cup-worthy roster has changed. You can't rely on trades and FA anymore, it's all about drafting and developing players, including defensemen and goalies. Less exciting but necessary.

It took Hextall coming in and cleaning up the mess to get us moving in the right direction. Unfortunately he wasn't able to get us all the way so now we have to hope Fletcher doesn't f*** it up.

Reactions: Tripod

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I'd send Hart down to the AHL.

Let him end the season on a positive note.

We can makes excuses and say all the goals were someone else's fault and he's a victim but the fact reamains his numbers are horrible over the past 6 games.

He's had success in the NHL but now he needs to regroup.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Hart was good. The goals the Capitals scored were exactly what I expected. We had a failed clear, 2 pinballing pucks, and a defensive breakdown. Real shocker that is.

Lindblom was our best forward.

The Ghost 2-1 breakup was reminiscent of good Ghost from 2 seasons ago. Hope he comes back.

Myers had a few great pinches and the closing speed he had to shut down a streaking Hagelin, who received a pass full bore with 2 steps on him, was ridiculous.

Patrick is going to come away as the best player in that draft.

They have to learn how to do a PP again.

All of this is not shocking. At least this is most likely the final nail in the coffin and we can Morin some games and start looking for coaches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad