Post-Game Talk: #70: Capitals at FLYERS, Thursday, Mar. 14, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I’m going to guess Colby thinks he was mistreated by superiors during his hockey career so he hates seeing young 20 something year old kids playing high minutes in the NHL.
Dei Lynam taking Flyers comments from fans on 97.5 last night.
Some old guy:
"Im not in the business of babysitting. Sit the kid down and give the reins to the real starter...Brian Elliott. We'll sneak in at the 8th spot and go on a Cup run with his veteran presence."

Me:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Branko

Jul 5, 2011
Anybody hear the baffoon on 97.5 this morning? Went on a rant how Giroux "sucks." Didn't give any points (besides that he's not Ovechkin) - just repeating himself.

This is why they need to keep hockey discussion off the radio.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
They missed the playoffs five years in a row back when 8 out of 11 or 12 Eastern teams made them.

List of Philadelphia Flyers seasons - Wikipedia

yeah I remember those years. This has been worse.

For one, memories of multiple SCFs were fresh in our minds. We had fought valiantly vs. an all-time dynasty.

Also, Tocchet and Hextall were worth the price of admission. It was sad to see the core players get old, injured and traded, but we kept getting new key pieces. Mike Ricci was terrific, and then we got Brind'Amour. Then Recchi. Then, Lindros and Renberg arrived and it was obviously only a matter of time before they'd be good.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This is nowhere near as bad as the pre-Lindros early 90s (I’m counting 89-90 in that).

Still have Couturier & Giroux to watch, some very promising young kids on the roster, & some big time prospects in the system.

89-90 through 91-92 were simply desolate.

Reactions: Tripod

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Poor giroux. If the Flyers don't get their s*** together I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade within the next two to four years.

Giroux is one of the most intense athletes I’ve ever followed. He’s not going to leave until he wins in Philadelphia.

We don’t deserve him

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I wonder if they have figured out that provorov isn't a #1 defensemen yet

Tbf to him he has done better this year in the minutes he has had to contend with than many guys everyone would for sure say were #1's on the rare occasions they saw the competition, minutes and zone starts he has.

And he still gets to the slot to create 5v5 chance better than virtually any other NHL Dman.

Now is he a legit #1 yet? I dont think so... but he is at worst a solid top pairing NHL Dman having just turned 22.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This is nowhere near as bad as the pre-Lindros early 90s (I’m counting 89-90 in that).

Still have Couturier & Giroux to watch, some very promising young kids on the roster, & some big time prospects in the system.

No, this stretch has been A LOT worse.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Harsh. He has been before, he hasn't been this year. He's the same age as Sanheim and we're allowing him some growing pains.

He’s given ice time like one but I’m not so sure that he actually ever performed to that level. Which is fine, I’m not expecting him to be but the Org thinks he is.

I like him a lot and he’s 100% a piece. But he needs to stop being anointed by the organization as #1 25+ minute a night player. It’s debatable that he even is the best D on this team right now let alone in the near future when Sanheim and Myers have an equal NHL experience to where he’s at now.

His puck skills this season have been terrible. He coughs it up for no reason often with no pressure on him. Last night i have absolutely no clue what he was doing on the first goal but he left the guy wide open and covered no one.

I don’t see a #1 type D. I see a top 4 guy, which is great.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Not old enough to know anything about the early '90's stretch (since I was born in '90) but this has been a very bizarre stretch. If you told me after the Penguins series in 2012, which started on my 22nd birthday, that they wouldn't win another playoff series until I was 30...I'd have laughed in your face.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Tbf to him he has done better this year in the minutes he has had to contend with than many guys everyone would for sure say were #1's on the rare occasions they saw the competition, minutes and zone starts he has.

And he still gets to the slot to create 5v5 chance better than virtually any other NHL Dman.

Now is he a legit #1 yet? I dont think so... but he is at worst a solid top pairing NHL Dman having just turned 22.

Definitely love his ability to get to the net front - agreed 100% there.

I don’t like him with the puck on his stick anywhere near Sanheim, Myers, or Ghost. How many #1 D in the league are the 4th best at that on their teams?

I know i’ll Get trashed for this because it sounds like I’m ripping him, I just don’t think he’s quite what many others do.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

I'm not sure.
What were there 3 seasons between missing the playoffs in 89-90 to then acquiring Lindros?

At least it seemed like they were acquiring some good pieces during that time ie Roddy, Ricci, Forsberg and they getting high picks.
Moreover, there were only 21 teams in the league at that time. IT was alot easier to build a team. Now they have to climb over 5.6.7 teams. Its like fighting through a host of orcs that come in wave after wave,
Now, with 32 or whatever its much more imposing to climb back to the top. In 10 years there probably will be 35 teams at the rate its going.

Anyway, 91-92 I was in college in the middle of PA so the state of the NHL was the last thing on my mind, especially without the existence of the internet.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
He’s given ice time like one but I’m not so sure that he actually ever performed to that level. Which is fine, I’m not expecting him to be but the Org thinks he is.

I like him a lot and he’s 100% a piece. But he needs to stop being anointed by the organization as #1 25+ minute a night player. It’s debatable that he even is the best D on this team right now let alone in the near future when Sanheim and Myers have an equal NHL experience to where he’s at now.

His puck skills this season have been terrible. He coughs it up for no reason often with no pressure on him. Last night i have absolutely no clue what he was doing on the first goal but he left the guy wide open and covered no one.

I don’t see a #1 type D. I see a top 4 guy, which is great.

Are there many #1 D who have been a bona-fide #1 D at his age?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I feel nothing here.

They just barely miss the playoffs, nothing good came of the season. No, not even Hak getting fired, because them only just barely missing highlights the fact that if he was fired before the season started then they easily make it.

They just barely make the playoffs, we get to watch them get relegated to the ECHL in realtime by Tampa in the 1st round.

Truly there is no good scenario left for this team.

The best case scenario is the kids that will be integral to turning this around having strong finishes. I want to see a lot more of Hart down the stretch and none of Elliott once the playoffs are out of reach. I want Morin to get into games. Continued growth from Myers, Sanheim, Patrick, etc. That's all that matters. Giroux and Coots finishing over a PPG would also be nice.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd send Hart down to the AHL.

Let him end the season on a positive note.

We can makes excuses and say all the goals were someone else's fault and he's a victim but the fact reamains his numbers are horrible over the past 6 games.

He's had success in the NHL but now he needs to regroup.

What a brutal over-reaction.

Good thing you're not making decisions for this team. Yeesh.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I'd send Hart down to the AHL.

Let him end the season on a positive note.

We can makes excuses and say all the goals were someone else's fault and he's a victim but the fact reamains his numbers are horrible over the past 6 games.

He's had success in the NHL but now he needs to regroup.

Bad choice. The Phantoms are a sieve and their defense is worse than the Flyers without Myers in Lehigh Valley. Hard to believe but they miss Varone's passing to Carey for the one timers. And everyone else, the wheels have pretty much fallen off. Huffman started out pretty good as a coach, but as soon as they added Murray, things went south. Coincidence?

Reactions: Stizzle

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
What a brutal over-reaction.

Good thing you're not making decisions for this team. Yeesh.

so its a brutal over reaction to suggest sending a 21 yr old goalie down to the AHL who has been getting lit up over the past 6 games. I see comments "this goal wasn't his fault", "that goal wasn't his fault". The bottom line is that his numbers are awful over the past 6 games. He is not playing well.

Send him down, let him get his head back together.

That may not be the best decision, it may not be the decision you want to hear but its not a brutal over reaction.

in fact, your reaction is the brutal over reaction.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Bad choice. The Phantoms are a sieve and their defense is worse than the Flyers without Myers in Lehigh Valley. Hard to believe but they miss Varone's passing to Carey for the one timers. And everyone else, the wheels have pretty much fallen off. Huffman started out pretty good as a coach, but as soon as they added Murray, things went south. Coincidence?

ok, I don't follow the Phantoms.
Now thats a reasonable reaction to my post.

Then, I don't know the answer.

I wouldnt keep throwing Hart out there and letting him get his butt whupped, not a good situation. Need some of the expert hockey minds here to come to a conclusion.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
so its a brutal over reaction to suggest sending a 21 yr old goalie down to the AHL who has been getting lit up over the past 6 games. I see comments "this goal wasn't his fault", "that goal wasn't his fault". The bottom line is that his numbers are awful over the past 6 games. He is not playing well.

Send him down, let him get his head back together.

That may not be the best decision, it may not be the decision you want to hear but its not a brutal over reaction.

in fact, your reaction is the brutal over reaction.

Yep. It's a really bad take. It's the reason Philly fans always run goalies out of town. Every goal is on the goalie. All context ignored. Defensive breakdowns completely ignored. Any other extenuating circumstances like injury and time off ignored.

Puck went in net? Goalie bad!

Awful.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Yep. It's a really bad take. It's the reason Philly fans always run goalies out of town. Every goal is on the goalie. All context ignored. Defensive breakdowns completely ignored. Any other extenuating circumstances like injury and time off ignored.

Puck went in net? Goalie bad!

Awful.

im not saying from the viewpoint of bashing him like philly fans

im not doing it from the viewpoing of protecting him and having him ready to start next season

huge difference, in fact 180 degree difference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad