Post-Game Talk: #70: Capitals at FLYERS, Thursday, Mar. 14, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, but even though they were last in the league and are now fighting for a playoff spot, the Flyers played better under Hak.
Well of course because Hakstol was a flawless coach. No other coach (or human being on this entire planet) can compare to his leadership, development skills, and intelligence.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Not sure, probably not.

But that doesn’t make him destined to be one, either.

Of course not, but you've got to assume he improves over the next decade. Defensemen peak these days in the early 30's and he's in his early 20's. We're arguing whether he's a #1 now, this suggests that if he isn't now, he'll probably become one in time without injury problems.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That pairing played just fine against the Islanders twice, and the penguins in recent history as well.

Sometimes, you just play a better team, and some nights, you just dont have it. One game should hardly be your measuring stick, but do you.
If you think they can seriously compete to win the East next season with a top pair of Provorov-Sanheim, I strongly disagree, but, as you said, you do you.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I called it two months ago...

ee377ce3b2329463c9848b6a2ec6d06d.png

This board is pathetic and predictable sometimes.

The gremlins and leeches on this board do this for every prospect. It will never end. More or less, every young player has been exactly as advertised by the real prospect watchers here. From Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Lindblom, right on down the list.

These players have only been free from the shackles of Dave Hakstol for a few months and have already made incredible leaps. It's likely many will keep improving if a legitimate coaching staff is put in place. Obviously, there will be ups and downs. Especially for A 20 YEAR OLD GOALTENDER PLAYING IN THE DAMN NHL.

Filtering out noise is the key to being informed. On this board or anywhere else in life. I highly recommend using the ignore function provided by this forum. I use it a lot. It saves time and frustration.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If you think they can seriously compete to win the East next season with a top pair of Provorov-Sanheim, I strongly disagree, but, as you said, you do you.

I dont know, i watched the penguins win the cup with a Dumoulin - Hainsey top pairing. But you're probably right - having a Sanheim -Provorov top pair probably disqualifies them right out of the gate. Especially when you consider neither one of them could get any better by next year.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Of course not, but you've got to assume he improves over the next decade. Defensemen peak these days in the early 30's and he's in his early 20's. We're arguing whether he's a #1 now, this suggests that if he isn't now, he'll probably become one in time without injury problems.

Would you happen to have a source on this? Every study on aging curves I’ve seen for Defenseman that accounts for Survivor Bias in any way would strongly disagree with that.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Hart is a 20 year old goalie coming off an injury and thrown our there against the defending champs. I was more concerned about how the team infront of him played (although that defensive play ghost made in the second that led to JVR's goal was incredible to watch).

He'll be fine.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Hart wasn't very bad last night, the team in front of him was ass. Not a concern at all to me.

If there's a young player I'm starting to seriously worry about it's Provorov. I don't know if it's overwork or what, but he was Andrew MacDonald on about half of his shifts last night. He still has all the things that make him good, he's just not displaying them all at once in consecutive games, and hasn't all year.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Islanders aren’t in the same stratosphere as teams like Tampa & Washington, btw. If the best the Flyers needed to go through to win the East was NYI, then you might be able to get away with a top pair of Provorov-Sanheim. Alas, that isn’t the case. And I don’t want to roll the dice that one of them suddenly turns into Victor Hedman next season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The gremlins and leeches on this board do this for every prospect. It will never end. More or less, every young player has been exactly as advertised by the real prospect watchers here. From Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Lindblom, right on down the list.

These players have only been free from the shackles of Dave Hakstol for a few months and have already made incredible leaps. It's likely many will keep improving if a legitimate coaching staff is put in place. Obviously, there will be ups and downs. Especially for A 20 YEAR OLD GOALTENDER PLAYING IN THE DAMN NHL.

Filtering out noise is the key to being informed. On this board or anywhere else in life. I highly recommend using the ignore function provided by this forum. I use it a lot. It saves time and frustration.
Thing is, the panic also comes from people who generally aren't deserving of being put on ignore. People just need to learn to look at the big picture and not get so worked up over little fluctuations in play.

On top of that, I think there's a problem when it comes to expectations. Prospects get hyped up (rightfully so) and then some people think they're going to come in, dominate immediately, and be completely flawless... which is never the case for anyone but the top 0.01%.

The fact that any of our top prospects or young players are getting any heat in this season is completely ridiculous. For example, even when guys like Sanheim and Lindblom were being underused and weren't producing a few months ago, it should have been easy to recognize it was because of the situation they were in, not their own faults.

Then don't even get me started on how stupid it is to see people bashing Voracek or Ghost...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hyperbole city.

I've pointed out for the last month the winning streak is simply hot goalies, now that the goalies cooled off, the underlying flaws of this team are both obvious and were easily predicted.

Hart has a bright future, but expecting him to continue that hot start was the triumph of hope over experience. He's going to have ups and downs, I'd be happy with 50 starts, .915 S% next year.

Provorov, Sanheim and Myers are a couple years from being able to be the lead dogs. On most good teams, they'd be on the second and third pairs, matched up with experienced veterans, and would gradually have their PT and responsibilities increase over a 2-3 year period. Which is why adding a top four veteran defenseman would stabilize this group.

The top two lines are works in progress, Patrick needs another offseason in the weight room, TK is still figuring out defense, and any coach would struggle with the jigsaw puzzle (who plays with Couts). The third line is a top flight fourth line, the fourth line would be a 1st line in the AHL.

Nothing wrong with that, this is year 5 of a 7 year rebuild, the only way to accelerate it would be to strip the farm system in major trades this offseason. Which would be stupid. Make a couple moves, one forward, one defenseman, using free agency and trades, otherwise be patient. Flyers should be a perennial playoff team from here on in with real goaltenders, but it will take a couple years to add young talent, have it mature and the team to jell. Babcock hasn't got Toronto past the first round yet.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hart wasn't very bad last night, the team in front of him was ass. Not a concern at all to me.

If there's a young player I'm starting to seriously worry about it's Provorov. I don't know if it's overwork or what, but he was Andrew MacDonald on about half of his shifts last night. He still has all the things that make him good, he's just not displaying them all at once in consecutive games, and hasn't all year.

Provy has been great the last month plus

:huh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

WTF?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Most projections I've seen is defensemen maturing about one year after forwards, and staying at peak production about 2 years longer.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's been better. Not sure if "great" is the word. Last night was ugly though--the type of game that simply can't happen for a player of his caliber.

There were mistakes by every single member of the defense from what I saw. Each of the 4 goals against I can pinpoint to a mistake by a defensemen.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
There were mistakes by every single member of the defense from what I saw. Each of the 4 goals against I can pinpoint to a mistake by a defensemen.

...OK? That's not the point. He's making mistakes that, based on his skillset, role, and reputation, he should not be making. He made a handful last night that didn't lead to goals, too. A lot of timid, indecisive plays. Not very affirmative these days in his own zone with the puck on his stick.

I don't think you can pin the one Connolly goal on Myers, by the way. Looked awkward as f***, his kick attempt, but Couturier hung him out to dry. Phil had a couple other defensive zone turnovers but he's incredible at eating his own mistakes right up.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad