Post-Game Talk: #70: Capitals at FLYERS, Thursday, Mar. 14, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
im not saying from the viewpoint of bashing him like philly fans

im not doing it from the viewpoing of protecting him and having him ready to start next season

huge difference, in fact 180 degree difference

So telling him he's not playing at an NHL level, completely ignoring all of the context of his numbers lately, and sending him to the AHL, is good for his confidence heading into next season?

If anything, Hart should be used as the #1 the rest of the way with spot starts from Talbot or Elliott so that he can get back into a groove and end the season on a high note.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
ok, I don't follow the Phantoms.
Now thats a reasonable reaction to my post.

Then, I don't know the answer.

I wouldnt keep throwing Hart out there and letting him get his butt whupped, not a good situation. Need some of the expert hockey minds here to come to a conclusion.

He has had 23 NHL games...

he has had ~5-6 "bad" games.

I really dont see how he is getting his butt whupped.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He has had 23 NHL games...

he has had ~5-6 "bad" games.

I really dont see how he is getting his butt whupped.

And I wouldn't include last night in that list of bad games. I'm not sure he had a chance on any of the 4 goals. He may have overcommitted on that Wilson goal but the defensive coverage was comically bad and if he didn't slide all the way to his left like that in desperation, it's a goal before the pass to Wilson. Just ATROCIOUS defense.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
So telling him he's not playing at an NHL level, completely ignoring all of the context of his numbers lately, and sending him to the AHL, is good for his confidence heading into next season?

If anything, Hart should be used as the #1 the rest of the way with spot starts from Talbot or Elliott so that he can get back into a groove and end the season on a high note.

As I said in my replies to Mcleish, I don't have the answers in this situation. He should have played against Ottawa not Washington so Gordon is responsible for allowing it to snowball.

But I do know if he continues to lit up then this can't be a good situation.

And regarding the numbers, they're brutal, whatever the context may be, they are brutal. If he wasn;t Hart, nobody would be excusing the goalie.

In the end the Flyers are going to do what they're going to do in this situation, its out of my hands.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As I said in my replies to Mcleish, I don't have the answers in this situation. He should have played against Ottawa not Washington so Gordon is responsible for allowing it to snowball.

But I do know if he continues to lit up then this can't be a good situation.

And regarding the numbers, they're brutal, whatever the context may be, they are brutal. If he wasn;t Hart, nobody would be excusing the goalie.

In the end the Flyers are going to do what they're going to do in this situation, its out of my hands.

He won't, assuming the D doesn't keep leaving him hanging out to dry, because he's really talented. There's no reason to worry about him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I have no idea why people believe Hart coming back three days earlier from his injury to play against Ottawa would have been ideal. The Flyers only won that game 3-2. Is it really hard to imagine Hart coming in cold and taking a regulation or overtime loss?

And there's no reason to assume Elliott would have beat the Caps last night with the defense playing like that. He's not a miracle worker.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hart isn't even eligible for the AHL playoffs, so I don't think there's any chance they'd demote him at this point.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
People need to relax. Did anyone really think there wouldn't be rough patches?

Cam Talbot's had about 25 bad games this year, he should go to the AHL.

difference is that Hart is 21 and still developing, Poor analogy

The Proper analogy would be "Sanheim had a bad few games. Send him down to the AHL.... LOL"

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
This is nowhere near as bad as the pre-Lindros early 90s (I’m counting 89-90 in that).

Still have Couturier & Giroux to watch, some very promising young kids on the roster, & some big time prospects in the system.

89-90 through 91-92 were simply desolate.
I would say that's why this era is the worst.
Flyers have had franchise quality players and they've still been irrelevant the whole time.

All the things people are saying we should be excited for next year were what most on this board expected to happen this year.

Reactions: Ruck Over

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I said at the beginning of the season that it was a transition year, didn't expect a complete goalie meltdown, otherwise they get into the playoffs and probably lose in the 1st rd again (Toronto has done that twice under Babcock, let's see how far they advance this year). The bulk of the young talent will be at LHV next year, Hart and Myers just arrived, Frost arrives next year.

You build a talented young team, prepare for some ugly nights, Sanheim had a butt ugly first period and didn't do much the rest of the game, there is a difference between a player with talent and a good player - the young defensemen are still 1-2 years away from being able to play with the big boys on a consistent basis. Ghost, Myers had their bad moments, Provorov looked shaky at times.

It takes 7 years or so for a complete rebuild, we're in year 5. We should make the playoffs next year, but we won't be good enough to handle a motivated elite team like the Caps. This team needs not only to add more talent, but for their young players to mature.

Hart was rushed, and now you see why Hextall wanted him to play the whole season in the AHL. I doubt it will ruin him, but I think he's breaking down a bit mentally, it's a light workload for him, but the pressure at the NHL is simply far greater, there's no room for error. Hart was overplaying some pucks and didn't have good rebound control.

So much for Trotz, Caps looked as good or better than anytime last season - their forwards were backchecking all night and every time the Flyers tried to make a play in the O-zone, someone either had a stick in the passing lane or was taking the body of a shooter - yes, DEFENSE wins games. Caps had a SC hangover, but 14-4-1 last 19 games preparing for the playoffs - with a novice HC!

You can see the difference in depth between the two teams, Flyers need to add 3-4 forwards to match up, Voracek back, Frost and a couple more next year. The defense needs a stabilizing influence, Gudas just isn't good enough to be the "anchor veteran."

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I would say that's why this era is the worst.
Flyers have had franchise quality players and they've still been irrelevant the whole time.

All the things people are saying we should be excited for next year were what most on this board expected to happen this year.
Make no mistake, if they don’t add a top defenseman & a good skill forward, then my excitement will disappear. It’s just that I think they have the cap space & the players are available to fill those two huge holes.

As for this season, there was too much reliance on young players to fill major roles & they simply weren’t ready for those roles for 3 months. Same thing happened with the Flyers in 06/07. Underachieving/unready young players + poor goaltending = disaster.

The good thing is that the young players have really improved of late. Too late to salvage the season, but enough to foster hope that — with a couple big additions — the team will be significantly improved.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Convenient timing that the youngsters werent ready for 3 months. I guess they just needed 90 days to get in the swing of things.

It couldnt possibly have been anything else...
Sanheim & Provorov showed last night they still aren’t ready to be a top pair against top competition. Another example of players being elevated to roles they aren’t ready for or capable of. Which is why this team desperately needs to add a true elite defenseman to bump everyone down a role.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I called it two months ago...

ee377ce3b2329463c9848b6a2ec6d06d.png

This board is pathetic and predictable sometimes.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
So you’re happy with them continuing to be unable to compete with top teams? I’m not.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So you’re happy with them continuing to be unable to compete with top teams? I’m not.

That pairing played just fine against the Islanders twice, and the penguins in recent history as well.

Sometimes, you just play a better team, and some nights, you just dont have it. One game should hardly be your measuring stick, but do you.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Team that isnt good enough to make the playoffs gets beat by SC winning team, and suddenly the players arent nearly as good as theyve been playing over the previous stretch. #Logic
14-4-2 over the previous 20 games (4 less points than Tampa) = meaningless
Losing one game to the defending champs = HOLY SHIT MELTDOWN SEND HART DOWN SCRAMBLE THE JETS WE NEED MORE FORWARDS TRADE GHOST THE WHOLE CORE MUST GO

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
That pairing played just fine against the Islanders twice, and the penguins in recent history as well.

Sometimes, you just play a better team, and some nights, you just dont have it. One game should hardly be your measuring stick, but do you.

every good team matters it's not just the islanders and pens because they are the teams you play in the playoffs, they cant beat the lightning or capitals, if they cant beat them in a seven game series, what makes you think they can compete?

gordon is not the answer, if he is to you, you are going to complaining about him in five years.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
every good team matters it's not just the islanders and pens because they are the teams you play in the playoffs, they cant beat the lightning or capitals, if they cant beat them in a seven game series, what makes you think they can compete?

gordon is not the answer, if he is to you, you are going to complaining about him in five years.

What?

Where did i ever say Gordon is the answer? The topic of conversation here, if youre able to keep up, is that the top pairing didnt play well in one game against one of the best teams in the league, and all of a sudden they arent good enough to play there at all.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
14-4-2 over the previous 20 games (4 less points than Tampa) = meaningless
Losing one game to the defending champs = HOLY **** MELTDOWN SEND HART DOWN SCRAMBLE THE JETS WE NEED MORE FORWARDS TRADE GHOST THE WHOLE CORE MUST GO

Yeah, but even though they were last in the league and are now fighting for a playoff spot, the Flyers played better under Hak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->