Prospect Info: 6th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
eh lets not act like the Wings haven't been super hesitant to go after Russians in general for a long time now

yeah they took Svechnikov but he's literally the only Russian that the Wings have taken before the 7th round in the last 15 years(and would they have even been comfortable taking him in the late first like they did if he wasn't already in north america? hard to say)

think about that in comparison with how much talent comes from over there

svechnikov was also drafted from Q. not as much worry about whether he would come over the pond or not, since he was already in NA.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
A Larkin clone would be awesome though. 2 ppg centers would give Detroit a very good top 6, one that could compete with most in the league.

Nothing wrong with Larkin, but having the same exact player for your #1 and #2 centers isn't exactly an ideal scenario when teams figure out how to shut it down.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Nothing wrong with Larkin, but having the same exact player for your #1 and #2 centers isn't exactly an ideal scenario when teams figure out how to shut it down.

If it were only that easy. But, a 30 goal, 40-50 assist defensively responsible center on both top lines is pretty much the dream.

Reactions: NEWing

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If it were only that easy. But, a 30 goal, 40-50 assist defensively responsible center on both top lines is pretty much the dream.
Yup, he's one of the fastest player in the league plus he can play wing and does both PK and PP. How could you possibly go wrong with more Larkins? That 2nd line would be a matchup nightmare for any team in the league with AA and Hirose/Zadina playing on the wings. And the third line would eventually wind up being another scoring line with some combination of Raz/Veleno/Hirose/Zadina/Svech (in a couple of years from now).

I would not shy away from a player just because he's stylistically comparable to the best player on the team.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yup, he's one of the fastest player in the league plus he can play wing and does both PK and PP. How could you possibly go wrong with more Larkins? That 2nd line would be a matchup nightmare for any team in the league with AA and Hirose/Zadina playing on the wings. And the third line would eventually wind up being another scoring line with some combination of Raz/Veleno/Hirose/Zadina/Svech (in a couple of years from now).

I would not shy away from a player just because he's stylistically comparable to the best player on the team.
Two Larkins = playoffs

Reactions: hkydave04

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If Byram is there, I would be very tempted to take him. But the more I think about it, the more beneficial it would be to draft a center and trade for a defenseman, to synch the timeline better. And now there's a GM with a good track record when it comes to hockey trades.

Nab one of Turcotte/Cozens/Dach at 6. Try to take advantage of the Fox situation in Carolina, and/or offer sheet Kapanen in Toronto. Then go after Trouba at the deadline. By the start of the 2020-2021 season, Detroit could be ready to actually challenge for a playoff spot, then in another year or two be ready to do some damage once they're in the dance.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
If Byram is there, I would be very tempted to take him. But the more I think about it, the more beneficial it would be to draft a center and trade for a defenseman, to synch the timeline better. And now there's a GM with a good track record when it comes to hockey trades.

Nab one of Turcotte/Cozens/Dach at 6. Try to take advantage of the Fox situation in Carolina, and/or offer sheet Kapanen in Toronto. Then go after Trouba at the deadline. By the start of the 2020-2021 season, Detroit could be ready to actually challenge for a playoff spot, then in another year or two be ready to do some damage once they're in the dance.
My take is that next year is equal or maybe better on centers and I'm not sure about the D yet, Byram is at the top of my list. Take him if we can, we might get lucky with lottery next year and if not there's depth at C. D take longer to develop though so very hard to judge.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

If you think Byram is a stud, you go Byram. If you think Dach, Cozens, or Turcotte is a stud, you go with them. We are still early enough in the rebuild that it is silly to put a timeframe on it.

I'm a big believer of when you try to get cute (aka try to plan out five or six moves as a way to improve in a short time frame), you run into trouble.

All of your individual moves look good and I understand the thought process, I just know that things get fouled up really quickly if one thing goes differently than you think.

Byram is there, I take Byram. He's not there, I take a C. Easy peasy.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
If you think Byram is a stud, you go Byram. If you think Dach, Cozens, or Turcotte is a stud, you go with them. We are still early enough in the rebuild that it is silly to put a timeframe on it.

I'm a big believer of when you try to get cute (aka try to plan out five or six moves as a way to improve in a short time frame), you run into trouble.

All of your individual moves look good and I understand the thought process, I just know that things get fouled up really quickly if one thing goes differently than you think.

Byram is there, I take Byram. He's not there, I take a C. Easy peasy.

Agree with this. Take the player you feel will be the best. Roster tweaking can be done later, right now the most important need for the team is getting the best caliber of players possible.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

When you draft the top Dman of the draft, theres a chance theyre contributing in at a high level in 2 years. They might not already be hitting their peak or anything like that but you can get top pairing play out of them for sure. I've said this before but guys like Provorov and Werenski are examples of guys who became top pairing pretty quickly rated around where Byram is as a prospect. No, hes not a Hedman or a Doughty but hes a guy who could make a solid top pair with someone like Hronek potentially if everything goes well.

I think I would take him if hes there and then trade for a more established D later on if they cant seem to get one, kinda like the Leafs did for Muzzin

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
When you draft the top Dman of the draft, theres a chance theyre contributing in at a high level in 2 years. They might not already be hitting their peak or anything like that but you can get top pairing play out of them for sure. I've said this before but guys like Provorov and Werenski are examples of guys who became top pairing pretty quickly rated around where Byram is as a prospect. No, hes not a Hedman or a Doughty but hes a guy who could make a solid top pair with someone like Hronek potentially if everything goes well.

I think I would take him if hes there and then trade for a more established D later on if they cant seem to get one, kinda like the Leafs did for Muzzin

For sure, Heiskanen is 19 and has played at a high level all year. Makar and Hughes are teenagers and looked good in their debuts, the elite prospects make an impact at a young age. If Byram is available at 6 you don’t walk to the podium, you dance with a big grin all the way up.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
1Hughes
2Kakko
3Byram
4.Cozens
5.Dach
It's just today my order. Who do I want at #6 for wings?. Definitely someone who plays at any situation, someone with good speed , hard work , someone who likes to distribute puck. We just drafted goal scorer, let's get someone who helps them to score

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Would you take a chance at #6?

The kid is pretty darn skilled, and playing at the U18, he seems to belong.

No.

If I'm at like 10-15? Sure. But At 6, there are the top 7 guys who have been projected by everyone to go there forever who have done nothing to drop. I'm not tilted by a good performance or two at a tournament.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
My personal opinion is that Yzerman coming on board makes Zegras and Krebs much likelier than Dach and Cozens.

I could be totally wrong, but I think we are going to take a true skill player at 6.

Zegras more skilled than dach? This a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad