Post-Game Talk: #69: Senators 2 at FLYERS 3, Monday, Mar. 11, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ha ha my bad.

Holy ****, if the choice is between:

A) Squeek into the playoffs only to get corn-holed by TB and keep Gordo.
B) Play well but finish a few points out and replace Gordo.

Yeah, that's easy to pick :laugh:

Like I said, I'm not actively rooting for losses and I love seeing them win, but it's just something in the back of my mind that kinda dampens the enjoyment.

For months my main hope for the rest of this year has been seeing my favorite players rack up points and see the young guys continue to progress. Both of those things have been going great so I count this year as a positive so far. Obviously we also got rid of Hakstol, which is massive.

I honestly don't get the logic.

He's here for the rest of the year, regardless of the team's success down the stretch. Fletcher has all he needs to evaluate Gordon and of the playoffs are contingent for Gordon to be re-hired, then Fletcher should be fired immediately.

Dave Scott and the brass are sick of this team's mediocrity. Scott Gordon doesn't get them out of that. He's not coming back unless the organization is truly incompetent.

I just don't want any small excuse to sway them away from going after a better coach.

You're assuming they'll be logical and make the rational choice, which everything we've seen from "hockey people" would suggest is far from a guarantee. Yeah, there's more than enough proof to show that Gordon is a bad coach and if Fletcher is dumb enough to keep Gordon it would be a massive mistake... kind of like the exact same thing we were saying for years about Hextall keeping/firing Hakstol. Dave Scott is also an idiot who might think that the fact that Gordon was coach while the team made an insane comeback means he's a good coach. He might not realize that Gordon is exactly the type of problem he wants solved.

Reactions: tucson83

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Hak is actually good
Sanheim, Myers, TK, Ghost, Voracek, etc are all bad

You just don't understand hockey, HC. You're just a fan. Hakstol had no choice. Nothing is his fault and he didn't make a single mistake.

JUqg0O4.gif

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Like I said, I'm not actively rooting for losses and I love seeing them win, but it's just something in the back of my mind that kinda dampens the enjoyment.

For months my main hope for the rest of this year has been seeing my favorite players rack up points and see the young guys continue to progress. Both of those things have been going great so I count this year as a positive so far. Obviously we also got rid of Hakstol, which is massive.

I just don't want any small excuse to sway them away from going after a better coach.

You're assuming they'll be logical and make the rational choice, which everything we've seen from "hockey people" would suggest is far from a guarantee. Yeah, there's more than enough proof to show that Gordon is a bad coach and if Fletcher is dumb enough to keep Gordon it would be a massive mistake... kind of like the exact same thing we were saying for years about Hextall keeping/firing Hakstol. Dave Scott is also an idiot who might think that the fact that Gordon was coach while the team made an insane comeback means he's a good coach. He might not realize that Gordon is exactly the type of problem he wants solved.
I am not assuming they will be logical at all, just that Fletcher and Co. have all the information they need already. They may or may not make a dumb decision.

Playoffs change nothing, unless the Flyers go on a miraculous deep playoff run, knocking off the Bolts then the Bruins/Leafs on the way.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am not assuming they will be logical at all, just that Fletcher and Co. have all the information they need already. They may or may not make a dumb decision.

Playoffs change nothing, unless the Flyers go on a miraculous deep playoff run, knocking off the Bolts then the Bruins/Leafs on the way.
Saying that the playoffs change nothing is the assumption I’m talking about ;)

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
Of course, the alternative is that he's being propped up good goalie play, like Trotz.
So Hakstol wasn't that bad because he had awful goalie play.

The other alternative is a team's record doesn't reflect coaching.

itsatrap.jpg

Look Deady, I'll be honest, I can't say that I disagree with everything you say all the time but...let it go. Hak was an awful coach and if you think goalie play is the sole reason for the turnaround without anything else being taken into account (ie. the playing time and usage of d-men, among other things) I don't know what to tell you.

Is Gordon running things better? Sort of and we can't necessarily argue with the results at this point. But we can argue the process and does that mean that he is the coach the flyers should have going forward....no. Sorry.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That flawed player has the best Corsi REL of any defenseman on the team and has been one of the team's best players since he got into games.

The Flyers were playing two of the worst defenseman in the league.

Even if Myers is a better player now than he was six months ago, he didn't go from "worse than the worst defenseman in the league" to what he is now. Even you have to admit that.

He was better than Hagg in 2017 let alone in September.

Myers is a very rocky player right now, flashes great talent, but is lacking in basic instincts - imagine if you played him a year ago, you might have set him back for 2-3 years - see Edmonton and how top picks go there to die.

If the Flyer young players were so great, they wouldn't need top goalie play to be competitive.
Right now the front 18 are flawed and inconsistent, talented but not reliable, and you can't blame Hagg/MacDonald because they hardly play these days. Same with Varone and Knight - it's players like Sanheim and Ghost and TK who were turning the puck over tonight.

Flyers are one of the youngest teams in the NHL and will be the next couple seasons - and right now they play like that.

No miracle coach will change that, only time. Good coaching can help the transition, but bring in a tough veteran HC and I guarantee that some fan favorites will find themselves glued to the bench for long stretches.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
View attachment 198623

Look Deady, I'll be honest, I can't say that I disagree with everything you say all the time but...let it go. Hak was an awful coach and if you think goalie play is the sole reason for the turnaround without anything else being taken into account (ie. the playing time and usage of d-men, among other things) I don't know what to tell you.

Is Gordon running things better? Sort of and we can't necessarily argue with the results at this point. But we can argue the process and does that mean that he is the coach the flyers should have going forward....no. Sorry.

Hakstol was mediocre, good defensive scheme, poor handling of players, but you don't make the playoffs 2 of 3 years with a meh team if you can't coach. This year's team is more talented but it has shown it's not good enough to win without above average goal tending. Ad the Caps game showed, when the goalies aren't above average, neither is the team.

The only major change Gordon made was to promote Sanheim after he had a full season of NHL experience (i.e., the same promotion might have backfired a year ago - don't assume because a player is ready today he was ready six months ago).

And TK is still erratic, Lindblom has played better after being promoted, but one reason is I think he's playing with more intensity since he was demoted - sometimes young players need a serious kick to get started. Patrick is coming around, but talented 20 year old players have a tendency to improve over time.

The real change in this team is the steady addition of young talent and its improvement over time as players get experience and physically mature.
How much is due to coaching, and how much to scouting (both talent and intangibles, Hextall didn't draft many prima donnas)?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Myers is a very rocky player right now, flashes great talent, but is lacking in basic instincts - imagine if you played him a year ago, you might have set him back for 2-3 years - see Edmonton and how top picks go there to die.

If the Flyer young players were so great, they wouldn't need top goalie play to be competitive.
Right now the front 18 are flawed and inconsistent, talented but not reliable, and you can't blame Hagg/MacDonald because they hardly play these days. Same with Varone and Knight - it's players like Sanheim and Ghost and TK who were turning the puck over tonight.

Flyers are one of the youngest teams in the NHL and will be the next couple seasons - and right now they play like that.

No miracle coach will change that, only time. Good coaching can help the transition, but bring in a tough veteran HC and I guarantee that some fan favorites will find themselves glued to the bench for long stretches.

What are Myers' flaws? You keep using vague terms like "deer in headlights" and "rocky" that have absolutely no descriptive value. I mean it's hard to believe you have ever seen the guy play. Yes he makes mistakes, but so does everyone, including vets. Who's made more mistakes than Provorov? Toronto fans are complaining nightly about the numbers of gaffes Jake Muzzin makes.

When Myers makes mistakes he covers up for most of them -- as well as teammates' -- by speeding back to eliminate the most dangerous player or simply taking the puck back. These are things no Flyers defenseman has done ... well, ever really ... certainly Hagg and MacDonald aren't recovering from them.

Ghost is playing well, Provorov is playing well. Sanheim is a top 20 defenseman in the league right now. Myers is a minimum solid Top 4 guy right now.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
That flawed player has the best Corsi REL of any defenseman on the team and has been one of the team's best players since he got into games.

The Flyers were playing two of the worst defenseman in the league.

Even if Myers is a better player now than he was six months ago, he didn't go from "worse than the worst defenseman in the league" to what he is now. Even you have to admit that.

He was better than Hagg in 2017 let alone in September.
Why argue with Deadhead. He’s obviously related to Hakstol or Hakstol himself.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Of course, the alternative is that he's being propped up good goalie play, like Trotz.
So Hakstol wasn't that bad because he had awful goalie play.

The other alternative is a team's record doesn't reflect coaching.

Trotz is propping up his goalies.

Fun fact, goalies don't operate independently of the team in front of them.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
View attachment 198623

Unfortunately, dude has shown time and time again he doesnt want to be reasonable. I dont really think he cares if people agree or disagree with him.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

sure, myers looks terrible out there.

Looks like a difference maker to me but what do I know? I only watched the games. I don't have time to study hockey.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Why argue with Deadhead. He’s obviously related to Hakstol or Hakstol himself.

There's alot of snobbery among hockey fans in the context of people proclaiming to be "Smarter fans" and "everyone else is dumb"., much more than any other sport.

But I don't believe Deadhead is doing this here.

As you said he must have some agenda with Hakstol.
He mixes in good observations IMO but with any other man's opinion you must eat the meat and spit out the bones

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00