Post-Game Talk: #69: Senators 2 at FLYERS 3, Monday, Mar. 11, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
35ecbeaf7ab193ffa7b30df4814debaa.png

Is that you as a kid or just a random internet pic?

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Tkachuk is going to get ****ing rocked one of these days.

Maybe. Don't think anyone ever will catch him off guard, so if you pick that battle, you'd better be ready for the immediate come-back. Yeah, he can be super annoying...but he's more than ready to back it all up. My advice would be...just don't let him get to you, he easily wins if you change your focus to trying to punish him. Beat him at hockey, take your shots when they naturally occur, and smile in his face after the whistles.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
NHL GMs don't make smart choices when it comes to coaches.
And this is entirely accurate whether the Flyers make the playoffs or not.

Even if they miss they could still bring him back because Gordon got them close.

I'd rather them get in and enjoy the ride than worry about some theoretical regarding the intelligence of Chuck Fletcher and his ability to evaluate a half season of Scott Gordon behind the Flyers' bench.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is that you as a kid or just a random internet pic?

:laugh: No, that's not me. That's a fairly well known internet reaction image.

021f2a3c4fcfbfffbf1ee72744cf6491.jpg

I agree that Gordon should not be the next coach.
I doubt that "making playoffs = Gordon is the coach" is an equation management is considering.
But if you'd like to make this one of the board's anger focal points...I like it. Moderately better than chopping our own players off at the ankles.

And this is entirely accurate whether the Flyers make the playoffs or not.

Even if they miss they could still bring him back because Gordon got them close.

I'd rather them get in and enjoy the ride than worry about some theoretical regarding the intelligence of Chuck Fletcher and his ability to evaluate a half season of Scott Gordon behind the Flyers' bench.

I believe it was reported from a source inside the team that if they make the playoffs that Gordon was very likely going to be kept as head coach.

However, my point is that even if it increases the chances 1%, it's something I don't want to risk because I see coaching as our #1 problem by FAR.

If our coaching gets fixed, I think this team can be a legit playoff team (like able to win series) immediately, but if we keep Gordon I think he's stupid enough to prevent us from doing so. I'm not worried about this season, I'm looking at the big picture and this teams future.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

I believe it was reported from a source inside the team that if they make the playoffs that Gordon was very likely going to be kept as head coach.

However, my point is that even if it increases the chances 1%, it's something I don't want to risk because I see coaching as our #1 problem by FAR.

If our coaching gets fixed, I think this team can be a legit playoff team (like able to win series) immediately, but if we keep Gordon I think he's stupid enough to prevent us from doing so. I'm not worried about this season, I'm looking at the big picture and this teams future.

Ha ha my bad.

Holy shit, if the choice is between:

A) Squeek into the playoffs only to get corn-holed by TB and keep Gordo.
B) Play well but finish a few points out and replace Gordo.

Yeah, that's easy to pick :laugh:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

I honestly don't get the logic.

He's here for the rest of the year, regardless of the team's success down the stretch. Fletcher has all he needs to evaluate Gordon and of the playoffs are contingent for Gordon to be re-hired, then Fletcher should be fired immediately.

Dave Scott and the brass are sick of this team's mediocrity. Scott Gordon doesn't get them out of that. He's not coming back unless the organization is truly incompetent.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I honestly don't get the logic.

He's here for the rest of the year, regardless of the team's success down the stretch. Fletcher has all he needs to evaluate Gordon and of the playoffs are contingent for Gordon to be re-hired, then Fletcher should be fired immediately.

Dave Scott and the brass are sick of this team's mediocrity. Scott Gordon doesn't get them out of that. He's not coming back unless the organization is truly incompetent.

Plenty of evidence to show that they truly are though. That's why it's terrifying.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ever think that maybe 90 more minutes of Sanheim instead of Hagg would have given us 1-2 more wins?

Or more minutes for Lindblom and less (fewer, re: Stannis) for Weise?

Or 25 more games of Myers?

I don't think about these things.

No.

Because you're assuming the player you're watching in March would have been the same player in October.
Myers is playing like Sanheim last year, shows flashes, but is really flawed player right now, by next December . . .
Lindblom is a much better player now than he was six months ago.

That's what happen with young players, over time they tend to improve, but it's more a two steps forward, one step back process than a linear trend curve.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Weather Gordon is the coach or not Fletcher needs to make improvements to the roster in the offseason.

Fletcher needs to upgrade the 4th line, get another top 6 option and rid this team of Farmer and Hogg.

IMO the fourth line is fine (if not good) when everyone is in the lineup (Jake being out hurts), but they really gotta get Corbin Knight out of there. He is really not an NHL player. There are a couple guys that could take his place in the ahl.

Reactions: Amorgus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
^^^^^This..... they are 18-4-2 in their last 24 games....I really don't want the front office to see this as "Hey, maybe Gordon is a good coach"

Just...no

Of course, the alternative is that he's being propped up good goalie play, like Trotz.
So Hakstol wasn't that bad because he had awful goalie play.

The other alternative is a team's record doesn't reflect coaching.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
No.

Because you're assuming the player you're watching in March would have been the same player in October.
Myers is playing like Sanheim last year, shows flashes, but is really flawed player right now, by next December . . .
Lindblom is a much better player now than he was six months ago.

That's what happen with young players, over time they tend to improve, but it's more a two steps forward, one step back process than a linear trend curve.

That flawed player has the best Corsi REL of any defenseman on the team and has been one of the team's best players since he got into games.

The Flyers were playing two of the worst defenseman in the league.

Even if Myers is a better player now than he was six months ago, he didn't go from "worse than the worst defenseman in the league" to what he is now. Even you have to admit that.

He was better than Hagg in 2017 let alone in September.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad