Prospect Info: 68th overall: Vancouver selects Tyler Madden (son of John, Northeastern University commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Anyone still following him close. Seems to be having a solid year.

19/20: 18GP with 13/11 for 24pts

Last season

18/19: 36GP with 12/16 for 28pts

Nice update.. Never catch college stuff. Looks like he's progressing well enough..

League wide:
Tied for 3rd in goals
Tied for 2nd in goals per game
Tied for 3rd in points
Tied for 9th in PPG

*Note, he's tied with several other guys in all categories

On North Eastern it's clear he's the go-to and not earning his pts from others. He has 13 goals to his wingman, Aidan McDonough's, six. (He's a 7th rounder of the Canucks)

I try not to project NCAA since I don't watch it, the diff between a jr and sr is significant, but if Madden keep it up, it would be Gaudette like progression.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Nice update.. Never catch college stuff. Looks like he's progressing well enough..

League wide:
Tied for 3rd in goals
Tied for 2nd in goals per game
Tied for 3rd in points
Tied for 9th in PPG

*Note, he's tied with several other guys in all categories

On North Eastern it's clear he's the go-to and not earning his pts from others. He has 13 goals to his wingman, Aidan McDonough's, six. (He's a 7th rounder of the Canucks)

I try not to project NCAA since I don't watch it, the diff between a jr and sr is significant, but if Madden keep it up, it would be Gaudette like progression.

Well at least from the past five years of NCAA play, if a true sophomore puts up over a point per game more often than not they end up in the NHL - and quickly.

This includes impact players like Guentzel, Schmaltz, Heinen, Terry, Donato.....even undrafted talent like Trevor Moore.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Well at least from the past five years of NCAA play, if a true sophomore puts up over a point per game more often than not they end up in the NHL - and quickly.

This includes impact players like Guentzel, Schmaltz, Heinen, Terry, Donato.....even undrafted talent like Trevor Moore.

What is a true sophomore?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Nice. I've noticed the Hobey baker has had more significance in the last half a dozen years or so.

Let's hope he can keep it up and be Gaud-like. :rolleyes:

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
What is a true sophomore?

True sophomore refers to a sophomore who didn't take a redshirt year. In college football lots of players will redshirt their first year of college, not playing any games in order to keep an extra year of eligibility. The "true" designation is just used to differentiate between those who redshirted and those who didn't. Not sure what OP meant by it.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not a lot of hype on here about Madden this year but he’s taken a big step from even last year as he’s now playing even a bigger role and has significantly improved his point total.
Our depth at forward and particularly at center looks like it could be set for years. Pod and Hoglander potentially on the wings.
Goaltending looks set.
Defense is the one area where a huge improvement has to start happening.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Not a lot of hype on here about Madden this year but he’s taken a big step from even last year as he’s now playing even a bigger role and has significantly improved his point total.
Our depth at forward and particularly at center looks like it could be set for years. Pod and Hoglander potentially on the wings.
Goaltending looks set.
Defense is the one area where a huge improvement has to start happening.

Myers, Hughes and Raffarty have been big additions.

I wish they had Tryamkin back instead of someone like Fantanberg though.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Myers, Hughes and Raffarty have been big additions.

I wish they had Tryamkin back instead of someone like Fantanberg though.
For sure. My worry is who steps in for Tanev and Edler. Hughes is a huge plus. I’m hoping (praying) that maybe Rathbone can be our Tanev replacement. But we still need another top pairing guy and I don’t see anyone in the pipeline yet. Maybe a trade or free agent signing but usually you need to draft those guys.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
does he have a legit shot at winning the Hobey Baker award?

Right now he's on the outside looking in. Dugan for Providence is going to be hard to catch, but this may be the year of the goalie. Three guys are having outstanding seasons and would most likely deserve the trophy.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Tyler Madden
31 points (16-15) in 22 games.
4th in NCAA scoring

Does he sign with the Canucks by the end of the NCAA season?

If yes
, does he get to play NHL games if the Canucks are still in playoff position?

It'll be hard to play him with our insane logjam up front, especially if Ferland comes back. I'd love to see him here though

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It'll be hard to play him with our insane logjam up front, especially if Ferland comes back. I'd love to see him here though
Probably Baertchi will be traded by the deadline if Jim Benning has learned anything

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Never watched him play, what type of player does he project to be? And given his small stature, is it more likely he transitions to the wing at the NHL level? Exciting to have another prospect tearing up the NCAA.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Never watched him play, what type of player does he project to be? And given his small stature, is it more likely he transitions to the wing at the NHL level? Exciting to have another prospect tearing up the NCAA.

Cocky guy, strong work effort, great hands.

Hopefully he can fulfill some type of top 6 role and be a pest.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston

Let me put it this way. I think Gaudette would benefit from a move to wing where I'm not so sure Madden would need to -I could see him putting up numbers anywhere.

Where my friends and I who follow NU saw Gaudette firmly as a very good 3rd line player, we think there's a solid chance Madden ends up 2nd line or better but with more volatility.

If we were going by the old Hockey's Future ratings I'd have Gaudette as a 6.5B and Madden as a 7.5D.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It really feels good that we are starting to draft good players in the late rounds.

Brakett has really transformed the Canucks drafting.
Benning restructured the scouting, promoted Brackett, and gave the entire department a new vision/ parameters on kids to target. But praise Bracket

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
Benning restructured the scouting, promoted Brackett, and gave the entire department a new vision/ parameters on kids to target. But praise Bracket
Yeah super odd to give praise to the guy who oversaw the only region where the Canucks consistently produce quality prospects. Really absurd

Reactions: Caspian

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah super odd to give praise to the guy who oversaw the only region where the Canucks consistently produce quality prospects. Really absurd
He is the director of amateur scouting now (has been for several years), his title changed. Grub reference late round picks, not late round picks out of a specific region (which Judd doesn’t have anyways). Grubs post wasn’t absurd at all. Didn’t say it was. It’s just amusing how Brackett is some kind of a messiah on these boards while Jim is trash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad