Prospect Info: 68th overall: Vancouver selects Tyler Madden (son of John, Northeastern University commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That's probably the best bet for his development.Not sure of his current weight/strength but unless he's had some sort of miracle year,he likely needs more time to mature physically along with plenty of gym time and the college route is much better for this while still playing against quality competition.

I agree. However, his dad was an NHL player, so going to the AHL, and developing there, might be something the kid thinks is a good route too. There’s nothing like playing a lot of games to build stamina for the long NHL season.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Troy Terry is a good comparable for Madden IMO. Similar body type and even possesses alot of the same attributes.

Terry had a very good freshman season as well like Madden.

I really liked the development path he took and I think Terry is going to be a great player for the ducks.

He spent 3 yrs with U of Denver then half a season in the AHL

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Troy Terry is a good comparable for Madden IMO. Similar body type and even possesses alot of the same attributes.

Terry had a very good freshman season as well like Madden.

I really liked the development path he took and I think Terry is going to be a great player for the ducks.

He spent 3 yrs with U of Denver then half a season in the AHL

Yeah,the longer Madden stays in college the less time he will need to spend in the AHL being run at by career goons.Much safer development path for him,especially at this stage.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah,the longer Madden stays in college the less time he will need to spend in the AHL being run at by career goons.Much safer development path for him,especially at this stage.

Well that ...and I say this with all do respect...

He isnt good enough to play at the AHL (yet)

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I hope Madden goes back for 1 more season. It'll help him mature physically. He's still built like a teenager. While he game isn't necessarily reliant on his size, if he can put on 10-15 lbs by 2020 training camp it'll be huge.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I hope Madden goes back for 1 more season. It'll help him mature physically. He's still built like a teenager. While he game isn't necessarily reliant on his size, if he can put on 10-15 lbs by 2020 training camp it'll be huge.
Agreed with this. One more year with North Eastern and cmon on over pro at that point, maybe even not AHL root just come straight to the Canucks

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I’m actually quite upset we didn’t trade this player for another Motte. Really unfortunate we couldn’t get another solid NHL player for him.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I guess I should post this here as well.

It's the recent THN redraft.

Re-doing the 2018 draft. How would it unfold today? - TheHockeyNews

First round:
1. Rasmus Dahlin, D (taken 1st by Buffalo)
2. Andrei Svechnikov, RW (taken 2nd by Carolina)
3. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C (taken 3rd by Montreal)
4. Brady Tkachuk, LW (taken 4th by Ottawa)
5. Quinn Hughes, D (taken 7th by Vancouver)
6. Vitali Kravtsov, LW (taken 9th by NY Rangers)
7. Grigori Denisenko, LW (taken 15th by Florida)
8. Filip Zadina, LW (taken 6th by Detroit)
9. Barrett Hayton, C (taken 5th by Arizona)
10. Noah Dobson, D (taken 12th by NY Islanders)
11. Adam Boqvist, D (taken 8th by Chicago)
12. Evan Bouchard, D (taken 10th by Edmonton)
13. Rasmus Kupari, C (taken 20th by Los Angeles)
14. Ty Smith, D (taken 17th by New Jersey)
15. Joel Farabee, LW (taken 14th by Philadelphia)
16. Rasmus Sandin, D (taken 29th by Toronto)
17. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW (taken 11th by NY Islanders)
18. Dominik Bokk, RW (taken 25th by St. Louis)
19. Alexander Romanov, D (taken 38th by Montreal)
20. Isac Lundestrom, C (taken 23rd by Anaheim)
21. Ty Dellandrea, C (taken 13th by Dallas)
22. Joe Veleno, C (taken 30th by Detroit)
23. Nicolas Beaudin, D (taken 27th by Chicago)
24. Liam Foudy, C (taken 18th by Columbus)
25. Alexander Alexeyev, D (taken 31st by Washington)
26. Martin Kaut, RW (taken 16th by Colorado)
27. Bode Wilde, D (taken 41st by NY Islanders)
28. K’Andre Miller, D (taken 22nd by NY Rangers)
29. Akil Thomas, D (taken 51st by Los Angeles)
30. Jacob Bernard-Docker, D (taken 26th by Ottawa)
31. Tyler Madden, C (taken 68th by Vancouver)

Early second round:

32. Serron Noel, RW (taken 34th by Florida)
33. Jonatan Berggren, C (taken 33rd by Detroit)
34. Scott Perunovich, D (taken 45th by St. Louis)
35. Martin Fehervary, D (taken 46th by Washington)
36. Ryan Merkley, D (taken 21st by San Jose)
37. Jared McIsaac, D (taken 36th by Detroit)

Reactions: Literally

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
First round:

10. Noah Dobson, D (taken 12th by NY Islanders)
11. Adam Boqvist, D (taken 8th by Chicago)
12. Evan Bouchard, D (taken 10th by Edmonton)

It's going to be very interesting tracking Hughes along with these three.

Is it fair to say that though all of Dobson, Boqvist and Bouchard did fine in their D1 years, none of them really took off?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
It's going to be very interesting tracking Hughes along with these three.

Is it fair to say that though all of Dobson, Boqvist and Bouchard did fine in their D1 years, none of them really took off?
So far looks like we took the right guy, but not even a year since the draft and these redrafts will change time in time again . A positive start for our pick...

Reactions: lindgren

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I’m actually quite upset we didn’t trade this player for another Motte. Really unfortunate we couldn’t get another solid NHL player for him.
Why would you trade him for motte? No offense to motte but hes not solid, he js barely an nhl player. We can probably find similar players on the waiver wire or free agency every year.

Madden can actually be a top9 regular if he plans out.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why would you trade him for motte? No offense to motte but hes not solid, he js barely an nhl player. We can probably find similar players on the waiver wire or free agency every year.

Hey! Some of the posters were happy we traded a high second round pick for Vey!

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

I was being super sarcastic lol. Ask Pastor about Motte.

Reactions: lindgren

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Please do not bullo larry

I don’t know what bullo means, but if it’s a typo for bully, than I’m happy for the support.
I used to be, as anyone can tell from my earlier posts, a huge Benning defender. My eyes have been opened by some very informative posts. We need a change, and righ5 bloody now, or we will be stuck rebuilding for another decade.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Hey! Some of the posters were happy we traded a high second round pick for Vey!
Not happy, but sadly it was an improvement. You have to remember that the year before that we traded our 2nd for Derek ****ing Roy at the deadline.

I didn't like the trade, but I liked it more than burning it on 16 games of a 5'9 3rd line centre rental.

Obviously in hindsight it was bad, and made even worse by the refusal to accept it failed and flip him for something before it was too late, and also made worse by WillieD's infatuation with him. But it was an improvement, my opinion at the time was "rather have the 2nd but at least it's someone with the possibility of breaking out instead of Derek ****ing Roy".

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not happy, but sadly it was an improvement. You have to remember that the year before that we traded our 2nd for Derek ****ing Roy at the deadline.

I didn't like the trade, but I liked it more than burning it on 16 games of a 5'9 3rd line centre rental.

Obviously in hindsight it was bad, and made even worse by the refusal to accept it failed and flip him for something before it was too late, and also made worse by WillieD's infatuation with him. But it was an improvement, my opinion at the time was "rather have the 2nd but at least it's someone with the possibility of breaking out instead of Derek ****ing Roy".

Trading away second and third round picks, when a team clearly should be rebuilding, is a mistake. I can recall a second for Vey, a second for Baer, a second added fir ?Sutter, and a second added for ?Gudbranson. Then a third for ?Dorsett. Those four picks could have produced one or two key core pieces.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Trading away second and third round picks, when a team clearly should be rebuilding, is a mistake. I can recall a second for Vey, a second for Baer, a second added fir ?Sutter, and a second added for ?Gudbranson. Then a third for ?Dorsett. Those four picks could have produced one or two key core pieces.
Of course. I wasn't disagreeing and most of us thought the same at the time, I don't remember anyone being glad we dumped the 2nd for Vey. The positive feelings towards the trade at the time were generally that at least it wasn't thrown into the trash like the Roy pick and we were willing to be open minded to Benning's moves since he was new. That goodwill was quickly lost.

Just wanted to clarify that the positive feelings around the Vey trade were primarily "at least it's not a rental like Roy" rather than being happy at acquiring Vey.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Of course. I wasn't disagreeing and most of us thought the same at the time, I don't remember anyone being glad we dumped the 2nd for Vey. The positive feelings towards the trade at the time were generally that at least it wasn't thrown into the trash like the Roy pick and we were willing to be open minded to Benning's moves since he was new. That goodwill was quickly lost.

Just wanted to clarify that the positive feelings around the Vey trade were primarily "at least it's not a rental like Roy" rather than being happy at acquiring Vey.

I think we are definitely on the same page. We were not in a position to be giving up second round picks for any players, especially rentals. I think our management didn’t realize soon enough that draft picks were becoming ofmore value.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

What's your definition of core pieces? A healthy Baertschi would probably be a core piece in the Jannik Hansen category of core players. The same applies to others if they work out. It's the same with the draft. The Kings targeted Roland McKeown. He hasn't played a single NHL game this season. I would be happy if Gadjovich can be as good as Baertschi at 23 years of age.

A good example is Virtanen. Would you trade him for the 53rd overall in this year's draft? I would keep him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow! In the Hockey News re-draft, Madden rockets up from the third round all the way to the bottom of the first round. The biggest riser, year over year in the entire draft.

But really underscores the folly of trading draft picks in the first place. Who knows how many Maddens' the Canucks might have uncovered if they hadn't traded picks for the likes of Sutter, Gudbranson and Pouliot.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What's your definition of core pieces? A healthy Baertschi would probably be a core piece in the Jannik Hansen category of core players. The same applies to others if they work out. It's the same with the draft. The Kings targeted Roland McKeown. He hasn't played a single NHL game this season. I would be happy if Gadjovich can be as good as Baertschi at 23 years of age.

A good example is Virtanen. Would you trade him for the 53rd overall in this year's draft? I would keep him.

Core are players to build around in key positions. We have Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat. Those picks could have given us one more.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Core are players to build around in key positions. We have Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat. Those picks could have given us one more.
They could have produced several more. Statistically, they likely would have produced no more. We understand what draft picks are and what their purpose is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->