Prospect Info: 68th overall: Vancouver selects Tyler Madden (son of John, Northeastern University commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I must be higher on Quinn Hughes than you. Because I have a hard time ‘imagining’ him not live up to what I see as the best defensman in franchise history - one of the best, most impactful in the world. Obviously I know this may not happen.

And it is relevant to look at the misses from these regions when trying to ascertain the best drafting era from these regions IMO. Your misses matter, as well as your hits. I find it pretty remarkable looking at the hits, without seeing any misses. Who would you consider Benning’s worst US born pick in 6 years?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I must be higher on Quinn Hughes than you. Because I have a hard time ‘imagining’ him not live up to what I see as the best defensman in franchise history - one of the best, most impactful in the world. Obviously I know this may not happen.

And it is relevant to look at the misses from these regions when trying to ascertain the best drafting era from these regions IMO. Your misses matter, as well as your hits. I find it pretty remarkable looking at the hits, without seeing any misses. Who would you consider Benning’s worst US born pick in 6 years?

Relative to draft position its probably will Lockwood, which is impressive BC hes a good player ruined by injuries.

Overall, probably Jack Malone but he was a 6th rounder.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have some prospects trending nicely in NCAA hockey, led by Madden, Rathbone and McDonough, who's come out of nowhere. Lockwood certainly has the wheels, but scoring stats have been a bit disappointing.

I imagine all of them will sign in the next couple of years, and spend some time in Utica....but any time you can pick players that late, who're all 'possibles' for the NHL lineup, you're doing something right.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks have some prospects trending nicely in NCAA hockey, led by Madden, Rathbone and McDonough, who's come out of nowhere. Lockwood certainly has the wheels, but scoring stats have been a bit disappointing.

I imagine all of them will sign in the next couple of years, and spend some time in Utica....but any time you can pick players that late, who're all 'possibles' for the NHL lineup, you're doing something right.
Lockwood is 2nd on Michigan in points with 15, 1 behind the leader. Wolverines are a low scoring team. Insane that in 15-16 Connor put up 71 points that season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Lockwood is 2nd on Michigan in points with 15, 1 behind the leader. Wolverines are a low scoring team. Insane that in 15-16 Connor put up 71 points that season.

Well Connor is a 30+ goal scoring point per game calibre talent in the NHL. Plus they had Tyler Motte. :D

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

First, give it a rest. It isn’t hard to imagine. You picked a ridiculously low standard and are now trying to weasel out of it. In a world where fantasy authors imagine fantasy worlds with various different complete languages it certainly isn’t tough to imagine the reality I described. This is getting ridiculous. The reality I imagined is clearly not tough to imagine. That doesn’t mean it is the most likely outcome, but it does mean that I have met your standard.

As for your second point, I will state for the third time that I don’t want to debate this. It isn’t relevant to the point above (i.e., whether your “tough to imagine” statement was outlandish or even correct).

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
As for your second point, I will state for the third time that I don’t want to debate this. It isn’t relevant to the point above (i.e., whether your “tough to imagine” statement was outlandish or even correct).

It doesn’t really matter what you want to debate. I said it’s tough to imagine outdoing Benning’s body of work with the US players, and a big part of that body of work is the pin point precision in which they’ve operated in the region. It’s not just the all-world talent unearthed, it’s doing it without having any obvious misses.

We have seen past era’s with good picks in the US ranks. But they also were accompanied with picks like Patrick White. It’s not just the elite talent that makes it tough to outdo this Benning era, it’s the complete dearth of poor picks in the region. Looks unprecedented to my eye.

If you disagree with this position, explain why.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
First, give it a rest. It isn’t hard to imagine. You picked a ridiculously low standard and are now trying to weasel out of it. In a world where fantasy authors imagine fantasy worlds with various different complete languages it certainly isn’t tough to imagine the reality I described. This is getting ridiculous. The reality I imagined is clearly not tough to imagine. That doesn’t mean it is the most likely outcome, but it does mean that I have met your standard.

Jeebus man it's a figure of speech. You're arguing nonsense.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Jeebus man it's a figure of speech. You're arguing nonsense.

Yeah, I thought that went without saying. 'Tough to imagine' simply means you find something unlikely, not that you can't find a way to conjure up the image in your head.

I would have said it's tough to imagine the Canucks winning the division this summer. Doesn't mean I couldn't envision the scenario...

Reactions: alternate

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Madden will be an interesting player to watch in the off-season....does he get signed and start his pro career next season, or does he head back to Northeastern for his junior season? He could follow the same path as Gaudette who spend three seasons with the Huskies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Madden will be an interesting player to watch in the off-season....does he get signed and start his pro career next season, or does he head back to Northeastern for his junior season? He could follow the same path as Gaudette who spend three seasons with the Huskies.
Depends on which place he would develop better at? Can he get better with a JR year in a league he’s at the top of as a sophomore. Or is challenging himself at the A better for him? He may struggle like Lind or he may do what Troy Terry did for SD in the AHL.
His light build may play a factor in his decision.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Quinn Hughes
Brock Boeser
Thatcher Demko
Adam Gaudette
Tyler Madden
Jack Rathbone
Aiden Mcdonaugh

Have to think the Benning drafting era will be the best in franchise history from the NCAA; that’s including accounting for pick position.

If there was an era considered better than this, I’m open to being convinced... tough to imagine outdoing Benning’s body of work here.

Uh, Judd Brackett's body of work here. Everyone knows who is driving the bus on these picks, and (excluding Hughes) it isn't Jim Benning.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Uh, Judd Brackett's body of work here. Everyone knows who is driving the bus on these picks, and (excluding Hughes) it isn't Jim Benning.

Of course Brackett deserves a ton of credit. But there is a reason Brackett had the voice to make them in the first place. It took Benning like 5 minutes to realize who on his staff deserved to be heard - something the previous administration couldn't seem to figure out, for whatever reason. Then again, that acumen is why Jim was brought in in the first place.

And Benning apparently was following Demko very closely in his draft year, as he was in his backyard in Boston.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Same Benning who would have had Boston's near-final draft list and be well aware of Pastrnak too eh?

Well yeah, the reports that Benning was unhappy with his scouts in regards to the McCann selection makes you wonder, doesn't it? Considering of the 50 guys taken after McCann, only 1 has had a more illustrious career than McCann...

The staff Benning oversaw took Pastrnak. Tough not to read into that.

Never mind Satiar Shah coming out saying he heard Benning was a big William Nylander guy too...

A Pettersson, Nylander and Pastrnak line wouldn't look so bad right about now. Unlikely they end up with Pettersson obviously, but it does make one think.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

“Everybody knows” ?

..or is it..

“Everyone who doesn’t like Benning and will do anything to avoid giving him credit would prefer to believe” ?

None of us know what goes on behind closed doors. Only the ones in the room for those scouting summits really know who drove the bus on each pick. Stop pretending you have some sort of special knowledge when you don’t.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Bean Pot Finals tonight for Madden.

Lets see if we have a gamer in this guy. Nationally Televised game.

Madden- sophmore is 4th in the nation in scoring and 2nd in Goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad