Post-Game Talk: #63: Sharks 2 at FLYERS 4, Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
His results on ice have been improving. That isn't indicative of a player who is wearing down.

What is with this bizarre new narrative that player demands are the root of roster changes? :laugh:

Is that how y'all plan on shifting blame away from Fletcher? It's odd. If players are calling the shots like this, Fletcher should be fired.

What narrative? Oh...you mean the one that was admitted by AV?

That's not a narrative...that's a fact

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Except you're not realizing the puck came from the outside. So the guy infront was the "2nd man" on a 2 on1.

Kellerman was actually the 3rd guy.

There is absolutley...positively no doubt whatsover that Kellerman was NOT Haggs responsibility once Braun left that other guy open

As already stated, only thing Hagg was guilty of is not making a great play and turning fast enough

No. Once braun mistakenly goes to the corner and goes after the player the winger has covered, and that guy shoots, the 2 on 1 becomes the players to haggs immediate left and right. The outside man has no bearing on haggs play at this point - if hes capable of making NHL level decisions - he has to trust that Braun and whoever else is out there are covering shot.

What hes guilty of is not understanding that the guy to his left has, even if he gets a pass, a low quality shot chance because Hart is already squared to that player due to the anticipated shot from the far wing. Hagg should be focused on the guy who is whistling away, filing his nails on the backdoor with no one on him. He knows that's his responsibility because he does eventually go down to block a shot instead of just whiffing on a rebound clearing attempt. Had he been in the correct position to begin with, he couldve better nullified that play - even if he shoulsnt have had to because of silly Braun mistake(surprise!) And a bad Hart rebound - which he had plenty of last night.

You should definitely go to the next free coaching certificate giveaway night, my friend. I learned all that in 2.5 hours worth if effort.

Reactions: klutch and Striiker

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
A better question is which forward failed to get back.
But it's easier to pick on a scapegoat than do any real analysis.

100%

The forward gets beat wide at the blueline, Braun over commits...Hagg gravitates towards the immediate threat....and the puck is booted behind him to the further and open player......

And its still Haggs fault:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The same posters continue to not dissapoint. Entertaining to say the least

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It was not good fundamentals. From back turned away from the play all the way to the slot, to indecisiveness not attacking the puck or cheating pass. But I don’t really see the point in analyzing to death 1 play in a routine win. If you have to argue to death 1 play, it stops being about that 1 play and starts being about the overall body of work. No one authors a legal defense when Provorov or Couturier f*** up.

If you take a shit in a box the key is to let it age & then it somehow becomes a good thing that way.

source.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It was not good fundamentals. From back turned away from the play, to indecisiveness not attacking the puck or cheating pass. But I don’t really see the point in analyzing to death 1 play in a routine win. If you have to critique/defend to death 1 play, it stops being about that 1 play and starts being about the overall body of work. No one authors a thesis paper when Provorov or Couturier f*ck up.

source.gif
It's not about the one play. It's about someone correctly pointing out that it was a mistake on Haggs part and then someone else trying to say that he was wrong, Hagg can't be blamed, and it means that the first person doesn't know what he's talking about.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It was not good fundamentals. From back turned away from the play, to indecisiveness on an odd man. But I don’t really see the point in analyzing to death 1 play in a routine win. If you have to critique/defend to death, it stops being about that 1 play and starts being about the overall body of work.

source.gif

I apologize for the bolded. I spent way too much time dissecting what should've been a routine coverage play. Not sure why I felt the need to go to such lengths on something that's this obvious. Apologies for the spam.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Its all about knowing that if that play happens to Ghost, Braun would be blamed for dragging his partner down, and AV woud be blamed for paring them.

It's all about bias and narrative

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Serious question...

Can anyone remember a single mistake that the coaching staff or GM has made this year that was discussed and didn't result in a full-blown meltdown from the coaching/GM white knights?

Even Stewart resulted in a propaganda campaign of turd polishing that would make the North Koreans uncomfortable.

Maybe because a lot of those "mistakes" were reasonable decisions.
How come the Hive didn't jump all over playing Vorobyev 20 games? He was terrible!
For some reason, that's about the only move that didn't get criticized.

If you think you can get NAK through waivers, it makes more sense to send him down and keep Stewart as the 13th forward (with Patrick and Pitlick injured) when the HC doesn't want to play him over Twarynski and Bunnaman. You don't park NAK in the press box.

If you think Stewart might get his legs back, and the team lacks anyone who will go to the net other than Lindblom (and then he went down), it's worth stashing him on the bench to see - of course, no one predicted forwards would continue to go down like flies and we'd have to play Stewart, Vorobyev, Bunnaman, Rubtsov, Kase, Andreoff - Fletcher found he was subscribing to the "scrub of the week" club.

If you're worried about Farabee on a long road trip to start the season, sending him down for a few games until the team returned home was a reasonable decision.

When Frost hits a cold spell and continues to struggle without the puck, trying Laughton at 3C and Bunnaman at 4C was reasonable - and when they play well, keeping Frost in the AHL was also reasonable.

Not every reasonable decision works out, but it doesn't make them bad ex ante (and since every move gets criticized, the "blind squirrel" effect applies to certain posters).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's not about the one play. It's about someone correctly pointing out that it was a mistake on Haggs part and then someone else trying to say that he was wrong, Hagg can't be blamed, and it means that the first person doesn't know what he's talking about.

I apologize for the bolded. I spent way too much time dissecting what should've been a routine coverage play. Not sure why I felt the need to go to such lengths on something that's this obvious. Apologies for the spam.

That comment was geared more towards the legal defense team. It’s like when someone has to point to a single highlight goal to defend a player. “See, look how skilled he is!” Hyper-focusing is usually a way to say there’s something wrong with the big picture. You know there is. I fail to see how someone could argue that was “textbook” defense on a bad rebound unless they have ulterior motives. Good players can make a play like that just the same. Textbook defense could’ve yielded a goal too. In the end, the average shift speaks more volume.

Its all about knowing that if that play happens to Ghost, Braun would be blamed for dragging his partner down, and AV woud be blamed for paring them.

It's all about bias and narrative

There’s nothing more annoying than telling people what they think and what they’ll do. It makes it look like you’re arguing with wisps of your imagination. I don’t think there’s many people here who think Braun is poor defensively or would be a “drag” on Ghost. But if you’re clairvoyant, I do apologize.

I do see bias and narrative though. I’ll grant you that.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That comment was geared more towards the legal defense team. It’s like when someone has to point to a single highlight goal to defend a player. “See, look how skilled he is!” Hyper-focusing is usually a way to say there’s something wrong with the big picture. You know there is. I fail to see how someone could argue that was “textbook” defense on a bad rebound unless they have ulterior motives. Good players can make a play like that just the same. Textbook defense could’ve yielded a goal too.

There’s nothing more annoying than telling people what they think and what they’ll do. It makes it look like you’re arguing with wisps of your imagination. I don’t think there’s many people here who think Braun is poor defensively or would be a “drag” on Ghost.

I hear you. I do generally agree that the focus on one play is silly. I woulsnt so it one way or the other. I got carried away with, as you put it, the legal team coming out in full defense of not acknowledging some of the blame on a play. I think its driven by the "lol look at haggs unsustainable metrics, hes playing so well" group constantly propping up a turd and not acknowledging how poorly he actually handles routine plays.

All sarcasm aside - I gotta do better moving forward. This one wasnt worth the effort.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That comment was geared more towards the legal defense team. It’s like when someone has to point to a single highlight goal to defend a player. “See, look how skilled he is!” Hyper-focusing is usually a way to say there’s something wrong with the big picture. You know there is. I fail to see how someone could argue that was “textbook” defense on a bad rebound unless they have ulterior motives. Good players can make a play like that just the same. Textbook defense could’ve yielded a goal too. In the end, the average shift speaks more volume.

Ahh ok, gotcha.

100% agreed. Sample size is everything.
There’s nothing more annoying than telling people what they think and what they’ll do. It makes it look like you’re arguing with wisps of your imagination. I don’t think there’s many people here who think Braun is poor defensively or would be a “drag” on Ghost. But if you’re clairvoyant, I do apologize.

Yeah, it’s Hagg who drags down Ghost... and everyone else.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Serious question...

Can anyone remember a single mistake that the coaching staff or GM has made this year that was discussed and didn't result in a full-blown meltdown from the coaching/GM white knights?

Even Stewart resulted in a propaganda campaign of turd polishing that would make the North Koreans uncomfortable.

well it works like that with Ghost, talk shit about Ghost and we have a full on line brawl in the thread :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad