Post-Game Talk: #63: Sharks 2 at FLYERS 4, Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I love how "more complete" only applies to skills like PKing. A terrible defensive player with good offensive skills = flawed.

Good on the PK but with poor puck skills and lacks ability to move the puck through the neutral zone with possension = more complete
That's how it always is. It's that dinosaur mentality of "defense > offense".

We see it all the time with all kinds of players.

Mediocre defensively and poor offensively = Perfectly fine. Warrior. Character player. Leader. Well rounded.
Good offensively but poor defensively = The literal Devil. Lazy. Selfish. Uncoachable.

Lets see if any of the people who constantly want JVR and Voracek traded get on Grant or Thompsons asses. :laugh: I'd bet not.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Grant is a more complete player than Farabee atm, and has size.

I'd say he isn't hurting them in the playoffs.

Thompson is meh, but aleast he has more experience than Bunny

Grant looked about as useful as Andreoff last night.

Hope he has a lot more to show..

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
This forum really takes the fun out of winning. It's really pathetic at times.

It's fairly obvious that some posters would rather us lose games just to further their points about how we have the worst coaching staff in the league...

And it’s like 6 posters total, first time in years I avoided a whole thread. Yet here is am
Getting sucked in lol

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What are you talking about? Don't tell me you're in the "labelling" brainwash also when someone doesn't go w/ the hive?

Actually I like Ghost. Got his jersey. So ya, I would 1000% defend him in that situation, and blame the forward who got beat and Braun who chased.

Gonna buy a Myers jersey soon also. Called out his many poor plays early on too. Does that mean I'm a Myers hater?

Keep in mind the select few who I'm referencing in some of these posts also think Hagg didn't intentionally slap pass it to Hayes on TK's goal awhile back. So let's be honest...who's biased?
Reminds me of the Flyers’ rookie game when Patrick was a rookie. I recall you were one of the few people who commented on how slow Patrick looked. We took a lot of heat for that. Didn’t mean we hated Patrick. Just commenting on what we saw. And sure enough he was slow & invisible for the first 3 months or so of the season.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That's how it always is. It's that dinosaur mentality of "defense > offense".

We see it all the time with all kinds of players.

Mediocre defensively and poor offensively = Perfectly fine. Warrior. Character player. Leader. Well rounded.
Good offensively but poor defensively = The literal Devil. Lazy. Selfish. Uncoachable.

Lets see if any of the people who constantly want JVR and Voracek traded get on Grant or Thompsons asses. :laugh: I'd bet not.

There are such things as good PKer’s who happen to not be really good defensive players at 5v5/ES. They’re not necessarily tied together.

Up to this point that’s what the numbers have suggested with Grant over the last three years or so. He’s honestly been a better player offensively (not that he’s some dynamo there either as his shot drives pretty much all of what minimal value his supplies on that end) at 5v5/ES than defensively.

Reactions: Appleyard

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Reminds me of the Flyers’ rookie game when Patrick was a rookie. I recall you were one of the few people who commented on how slow Patrick looked. We took a lot of heat for that. Didn’t mean we hated Patrick. Just commenting on what we saw. And sure enough he was slow & invisible for the first 3 months or so of the season.

Being you're the only person impartial and intelligent enough on here to have these sort of insights I really wish you would show some more humility instead of always shoving it in our faces.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And it’s like 6 posters total, first time in years I avoided a whole thread. Yet here is am
Getting sucked in lol
Didn't we already talk about you being the last person on this site who's allowed to get worked up about this? :laugh:

You got flamed on Twitter by the guy who is currently the 11th highest scorer in org history for complaining about him on here.

People complaining about bad trades and bad roster decisions doesn't even come close.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There are such things as good PKer’s who happen to not be really good defensive players at 5v5/ES. They’re not necessarily tied together.

Up to this point that’s what the numbers have suggested with Grant over the last three years or so. He’s honestly been a better player offensively (not that he’s some dynamo there either as his shot drives pretty much all of what minimal value his supplies on that end) at 5v5/ES than defensively.
My comment wasn't about him specifically, it was just a general statement on how people view skillsets.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Didn't we already talk about you being the last person on this site who's allowed to get worked up about this? :laugh:

You got flamed on Twitter by the guy who is currently the 11th highest scorer in org history for complaining about him on here.

People complaining about bad trades and bad roster decisions doesn't even come close.

His tweet was actually aimed at me shitting on Flip believe it or not.

I try and lay off my Jake agenda, but I know you won’t agree but it is literally the same 4 posters fighting with 2 others.

Neither side will magically agree with the others, so what’s the point ?

Reactions: BrokenStix

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

My point is they get called "more complete" or "well rounded" when they arent more complete. They are good at half the game, they are just as flawed as the guys that cant play defense.

Give me actually well rounded players and I'll be more then happy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
His tweet was actually aimed at me shitting on Flip believe it or not.

I try and lay off my Jake agenda, but I know you won’t agree but it is literally the same 4 posters fighting with 2 others.

Neither side will magically agree with the others, so what’s the point ?
It's not about agreeing. It's about those two people talking out of their asses and others correcting them.

Also how do you know it was about Flip?

Reactions: Starat327

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My point is they get called "more complete" or "well rounded" when they arent more complete. They are good at half the game, they are just as flawed as the guys that cant play defense.

Give me actually well rounded players and I'll be more then happy.

I hear you I was just adding even guys who can legitimately be good PKers can still suck defensively at 5v5/ES but they’ll still get the reputation as some well rounded player when it pertains to all situations.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
It's not about agreeing. It's about those two people talking out of their asses and others correcting them.

Also how do you know it was about Flip?

Let them talk out of their asses tho that’s all
If someone truly believes Haag > Ghost, you will never win.

I made some pretty crude comments about him rotting on the 3rd line and was on him bad that game with little Jake talk.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Let them talk out of their asses tho that’s all
If someone truly believes Haag > Ghost, you will never win.

I made some pretty crude comments about him rotting on the 3rd line and was on him bad that game with little Jake talk.
Hmmm... that's interesting. Maybe it was just the straw that broke the camels back. He already saw you shit on him 1000 times but this was one too far. :laugh:

And it's not even about "Hagg>Ghost". The lies and strawmen cover all topics.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who believes Hagg > Ghost (at least close to 100%)?

And being a PK guy doesn't make you well rounded.
Being like Couts makes you well rounded, he scores, plays defense, the PP and the PK.

There are few good offensive players who are also good defensively. That's why guys like Stone are so valuable.
However, you can be a good offensive player and NOT be a defensive liability. And thus a net plus.
Or you can be Patrick Kane, a top offensive player who is one of the worst forwards defensively in the NHL.

Irvdog13

Jan 20, 2020
Chemistry definitely seems to be a big part of Laughton's game. He can be a really good player with the right linemates.
He'll never be the guy on a line, but he's a good complementary player.
He can't make his linemates better but he can play with his linemates as he scales up the lineup....

Reactions: LorneMalvo

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He can't make his linemates better but he can play with his linemates as he scales up the lineup....
I've always wondered how he would look like on a line with Couturier. They've never played together as far as I can remember.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I love how "more complete" only applies to skills like PKing. A terrible defensive player with good offensive skills = flawed.

Good on the PK but with poor puck skills and lacks ability to move the puck through the neutral zone with possension = more complete

PK and EVD are just separate skills too.

Ilya Kovalchuk is a fantastic PKer... one of the better PKers in the NHL over last 15 years.

But he sucks defensively at 5v5!

Giroux has a good claim to being the best, or 2nd best, PK of the last 10 years... but his EVD is just "solid/above-average".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad