Post-Game Talk: #62: Jets 2 at FLYERS 4, Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020, 1:00 pm ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
i try to read that and understand it but all it looks like is a game plan right up of buckaroo's run through the mountain. and i stupid? or old or losing my ability to read? i guess its good for hagg though because of its upward trajectory. most of you all know how to read thee things, im going to have to start google searching and getting some knowledge on the stuff.

PDO is basically a measure of luck.

It's a combination of two things, "on-ice shooting %" (the shooting % of all Flyers players when he's on the ice) and "on-ice save %" (the goalies save percentage when he's on the ice), so basically two things that are outside of his control.
You can look at "on-ice shooting %" or "on-ice save %" individually to kinda see offensive or defensive luck, but PDO is overall luck.

A PDO of 100.00 is normal. Much lower is unlucky, much higher is lucky, and it usually evens out at some point.

Hagg's PDO since he came in when Ghost got injured is 115.4... which is nuts. For reference, he's 1st in the entire NHL during that time period (of people with at least 100 minutes played). He has both a super-inflated on-ice shooting % of 17.33% (which is why he has so many points lately) and a super-inflated on-ice save % .980% (which is why he hasn't been scored on constantly, in spite of playing so poorly).

Now obviously getting lucky isn't a bad thing and it helps the team, but the point is that anyone observing his results and thinking "oh, he must be playing well" is being fooled because it's not sustainable or due to his own play. The other problem is that when that luck runs out (as it always does) it's going to be messy.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Better get on board, because this train is rolling!
giphy.gif

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Let the countdown start to begin.

The Red Wings, are now officially eliminated from Playoffs.

The Flyers magic number to cover the senators is 15 pts. We have a 5 pt lead on Canes which is the most important right now.

so Let the math and countdown to making the playoffs begin.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He just hit 700? Wasn’t he at 699 two weeks ago?
Funny enough, his little cold streak started with the game against us when he was sitting at 698. 0 points in 5 games until he scored against Montreal and again today.

Reactions: Defect

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I literally did a double take today when Agent Orange’s Bloodstains came over the PA system.
Yeah, I definitely think they changed their DJ during summer because since the start of the season there has been a noticeable difference, starting with the goal song.

The last couple years the music at WFC was horrible. This season it's much better, imo.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

It's a combination of two things, "on-ice shooting %" (the shooting % of all Flyers players when he's on the ice) and "on-ice save %" (the goalies save percentage when he's on the ice), so basically two things that are outside of his control.
You can look at "on-ice shooting %" or "on-ice save %" individually to kinda see offensive or defensive luck, but PDO is overall luck.

A PDO of 100.00 is normal. Much lower is unlucky, much higher is lucky, and it usually evens out at some point.

Hagg's PDO since he came in when Ghost got injured is 115.4... which is nuts. For reference, he's 1st in the entire NHL during that time period (of people with at least 100 minutes played). He has both a super-inflated on-ice shooting % of 17.33% (which is why he has so many points lately) and a super-inflated on-ice save % .980% (which is why he hasn't been scored on constantly, in spite of playing so poorly).

Now obviously getting lucky isn't a bad thing and it helps the team, but the point is that anyone observing his results and thinking "oh, he must be playing well" is being fooled because it's not sustainable or due to his own play. The other problem is that when that luck runs out (as it always does) it's going to be messy.
He's turned a corner

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg may be lucky, but Hagg - Braun outplayed Sanheim - Myers today.
Hagg was actually making crisp passes onto sticks, and winning a series of battles along the boards in the 3rd period to get the puck moving up ice.
The fact that he bounced back paired with Braun, after looking tentative with Friedman, suggests he needs a comfort zone.
No, he's not a great defensemen, but when I see someone say he was terrible today, that tells me that someone doesn't have a clue.

It was a crazy game, they looked meh in the 1st period, horrible in the 2nd period, but Hart kept them in the game.
I suspect AV read the riot act between periods because they came out flying in the 3rd.
AV didn't throw Farabee under the bus, but tried to keep him off the ice with a lead as well.

Sheltering young players isn't a lack of trust, just realism, it takes experience to relax and deal with a talented team (at least their top two line) going full bore trying to get back into a game.

How did Couts miss that goal?

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
Fletcher isn't a hockey player and should be smart enough to realize that mentality is terrible.

You make improvements whenever possible. Always.
I think locker room chemistry, role player production and young player development right now is major factor though. Could be risky to mess with. Plus fletch knows more about Patrick’s sitch than we do

Reactions: marcsson68

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think locker room chemistry, role player production and young player development right now is major factor though. Could be risky to mess with. Plus fletch knows more about Patrick’s sitch than we do
We were talking about the Hagg situation, not Patrick. Now would be the perfect time to get rid of him because he's a terrible player who will never be more valuable than right now.

He's a detriment on the ice and as soon as his luck runs out (and it will) he'll go back to being a massive issue. Plus, as soon as Ghost is back he better be out of the lineup anyway and Friedman can be our new #7.

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
We were talking about the Hagg situation, not Patrick. Now would be the perfect time to get rid of him because he's a terrible player who will never be more valuable than right now.

He's a detriment on the ice and as soon as his luck runs out (and it will) he'll go back to being a massive issue. Plus, as soon as Ghost is back he better be out of the lineup anyway and Friedman can be our new #7.
Oh ha agreed! Disregard!

Reactions: Striiker

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011

thankyou for that explanation. it answered all the questions i could have had about that. cheers

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It was brutally futile.

They made it clear that they weren't going for winning-now, but would build through the draft. Then...they did nothing at all to market that talent or get fans pumped for it, and instead of actually building through those draft picks they splattered a string of garbage veteran acquisitions all over the ice.

Hell, the organization's media front did the exact opposite. While we were building through the draft, they had to construct narratives about how awful and unreliable all those players were to cover for Hextall and Hakstol's decisions. You combine that with Hakstol's lifeless and futile perimeter "safe" hockey and it created agony.

They finally...finally...are doing things right. But overcoming the fan inertia they labored to build is hard.

I mentally accepted they would be bad for about 3 years, and turn the corner in year 4.

Well it was two years later than that lol. I had tuned them out the past few years. Watching half games, a period, 10 minutes. They just weren’t very fun to watch.

I will say that we have the team we have now largely because of Hextall’s unglamorous work. He made great draft picks and astute moves to get some specific players, like TK.

It was the price we paid for Homer’s recklessness at the end.

Now Fletch has inherited a great situation and he started it off by making some great moves. Hayes, Niskanen, Braun. Not the same team without them. They’re not just complementary players, they have an important effect on the game and on the team.

And now, we drink!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad