Post-Game Talk: #62: Jets 2 at FLYERS 4, Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020, 1:00 pm ET

Irvdog13

Jan 20, 2020
Hagg and Braun were real real good today. The team defence in their own zone really helps clean up some of the miscues. They bend a lot and break sometimes but in general the own zone compete is super strong.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I do have to say that this team is changing and hopefully for the better. Usually when a team like the jets come back down 3-0 and make it a one goal game with 10 minutes left we end up folding or not putting the pressure back on them. We changed that and put another goal on them. Little growing sings that you love to see from a young team. Keep it up. No one was expecting us to be in this position even WITH PATRICK/LINDBLOM. Lets prove those f***ers wrong baby!

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Hagg and Braun were real real good today. The team defence in their own zone really helps clean up some of the miscues. They bend a lot and break sometimes but in general the own zone compete is super strong.

to the eye test, I actually thought this was one of their worst games recently. Felt like they were hemmed in the zone often but curious to what the advanced stats say. They are quietly doing a great job recently though. Makes it complicated when ghost comes back. If ghost doesn't play well then AV might go with hagg. It might also be a matchup thing come playoff time. I think hagg would be more helpful than ghost vs the caps. They are a bigger team and hagg can lay his body out on the pk vs ovi

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think Hagg already won the lottery when he came through the Flyers system when Hak was coach.

But he keeps winning the lottery under AV? As if they share the same philosophy?

Perhaps Hagg possesses something 2 seperate entities desire in a bottom pair dman?

Reactions: 1865

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s a shame that so often people can’t see that a positive end result isn’t the same thing as playing well. And the opposite is true too: a bad result doesn’t mean someone’s playing poorly.

We’ve seen these flawed evaluations way too often this year, with way too many different players. Hagg, Giroux, Ghost, Provorov, JVR, Voracek...

Obviously good luck helps the team and bad luck hurts it, but when you’re evaluating how a player is actually performing, you have to use what’s inside of their control because that’s what’s sustainable.

And this doesn’t just apply on this website... I’m talking about all across the internet, with pro staff members, media, and even things completely unrelated to hockey. It’s just a problem in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
So PDO is calculated by your save percentage and on ice shooting percentage.

So I can explain this easily.

Hagg is a defensive god that only allows the simplest shots through to Hart so that he can pad his stats. Hagg is keeping Hart on an even keel and building his confidence. What a team guy.

And well, we all know the best offense is a good defense. With Hagg being an absolute defensive weapon, its no surprise that the team has a monster on ice shooting percentage when he's on the ice. They are only getting high quality chances when he's on the ice because he's not wasting his time doing spin-a-ramas and taking selfish point shots.

#InHaggWeTrust

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
It’s a shame that so often people can’t see that a positive end result isn’t the same thing as playing well. And the opposite is true too: a bad result doesn’t mean someone’s playing poorly.

We’ve seen these flawed evaluations way too often this year, with way too many different players. Hagg, Giroux, Ghost, Provorov, JVR, Voracek...

Obviously good luck helps the team and bad luck hurts it, but when you’re evaluating how a player is actually performing, you have to use what’s inside of their control because that’s what’s sustainable.

And this doesn’t just apply on this website... I’m talking about all across the internet, with pro staff members, media, and even things completely unrelated to hockey. It’s just a problem in general.

People just love turning to their inner boxcars because it makes them feel better about their own hockey abilities :laugh:

just wait and see who will be triggered by this

Irvdog13

Jan 20, 2020
to the eye test, I actually thought this was one of their worst games recently. Felt like they were hemmed in the zone often but curious to what the advanced stats say. They are quietly doing a great job recently though. Makes it complicated when ghost comes back. If ghost doesn't play well then AV might go with hagg. It might also be a matchup thing come playoff time. I think hagg would be more helpful than ghost vs the caps. They are a bigger team and hagg can lay his body out on the pk vs ovi
I watched all but the first 5mins of the third. Not sure how it's one of their worst with 4 apples....Braun manhandled Ehlers in a man vs boy display of core strength in a puck battle that left Ehlers bruised. The flyers did have a bad stretch but it's not like the jets don't have some serious offensive weapons.

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Victory cookie and doggo.

FKmgenD_d.jpg

Such a good boy

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Usually when they're hemmed in their own zone, it's poor play by the forwards, like the first line in the first period.

For the first two periods the forwards were releasing early, one great shot was Provorov holding the puck in the D-zone b/c there was no one to pass to, then later a shot of AV looking displeased at still another stretch pass b/c the forwards were all down ice.

Reactions: Larry44

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
But he keeps winning the lottery under AV? As if they share the same philosophy?

Perhaps Hagg possesses something 2 seperate entities desire in a bottom pair dman?

Perhaps my point was that Hak was the type of coach that loved players with exactly his skillset.

Perhaps been an established player on the roster when AV showed up makes it much more likely he stuck.

Perhaps lots of other coaches wouldn't have been as interested in rookie Hagg that year.

Perhaps it was a joke and there is no need to white knight for a #7 at best defenseman for the next 2 years before he likely ends up back in Sweden.

Reactions: Striiker

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Usually when they're hemmed in their own zone, it's poor play by the forwards, like the first line in the first period.

For the first two periods the forwards were releasing early, one great shot was Provorov holding the puck in the D-zone b/c there was no one to pass to, then later a shot of AV looking displeased at still another stretch pass b/c the forwards were all down ice.

Hagg the conqueror actually turned the puck over in his own zone 3 times last night under no pressure. Lets not pretend the forwards were at fault there

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Shot attempts were 17-3 in favor of the Flyers in the 3rd

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Hagg the conqueror actually turned the puck over in his own zone 3 times last night under no pressure. Lets not pretend the forwards were at fault there

Don't forget the time he iced the puck under no pressure whatsoever botching a routine 30 foot pass when he could have just skated the damn puck out himself. Oh, wait, I forgot he can't move the puck more than a few feet on his own without needing to send it to a teammate who actually possesses NHL level puck-handling. Silly me.

I'm fully prepared for the incoming healthy scratching of Ghost while this literal tree stays planted on the damn ice. He sure as shit isn't getting traded with our recent play.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Don't forget the time he iced the puck under no pressure whatsoever botching a routine 30 foot pass when he could have just skated the damn puck out himself. Oh, wait, I forgot he can't move the puck more than a few feet on his own without needing to send it to a teammate who actually possesses NHL level puck-handling. Silly me.

I'm fully prepared for the incoming healthy scratching of Ghost while this literal tree stays planted on the damn ice. He sure as shit isn't getting traded with our recent play.
Haggs version of passing is taking a low elevation wrist shot into his teammates ankles. :laugh:

Reactions: Amorgus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Why would anyone desire a non-NHL defenseman for an NHL defense?

This exact reasoning used to be presented to defend guys like Shelley, Rosehill, VDV, Lehtera, etc. The magical intangible trait that somehow makes up for them being bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad