GDT: #6| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 17th | 8:00 PM | F/OTL 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Between the 17 game point streak, losing just one game against each of Florida and Washington through two rounds. Winning game 7 against the Flyers. Eberle's OT winner and the Varly celebration. Best season in 3 decades. Just makes it even tougher because we were that close and you ever know when you will be back again.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
barzal knows it was his guy who scored...plain and simple.
he will only improve and we had other chances to win...like a freakin break away

And yet it was the 2nd time these playoffs that he blew coverage leading to a goal. So again, he could feel bad all he wants about it, but if he doesn't start improving that aspect of the game, it doesn't help anyone including himself.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Man, I was really thinking if they could have put one in they'd have won game 7 too. They've been sub-par since halfway thru the Philly series, and tonight it was like it was coming back. Cal started it tonight with a great physical shift. But I attribute that to Boychuk's return and setting a good example of keeping it simple and calm and playing more north-south. Dobson looked good. Varly was great. Too bad. But for what it's worth, the dynasty team lost in this round ("semi-finals" back then) 3 straight years, then lost in the quarters, then the semis again before finally starting the Cup run the next year. I like the core. I like that Dobson and Sorokin are coming in. And we've got a GM and coaching staff that will make the right decisions moving forward. Lots to be excited about moving forward.

Oh, and BTW, everyone's favorite trade chip was our best defenseman these playoffs. ;)
Great post, you summed it up perfectly as always! I was thinking the same thing..... Just poke one in and we take game 7. We were the better team tonight. You just can't look at SOG to determing whether a Trotz coached team played well or not. We eliminated good looks and were skating like we did in the earlier rounds. Such a great effort all around!!

Reactions: nyisleslover

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I think he’ll learn. NBC had a shot of him after the game and he looked completely dejected and almost in tears.

He will learn from this and that is how he can get better. He will be fine and it is good that he looks dejected because that shows me that he is competitive. At least he knows that he has a team that does not quit. It will be a shame if he chooses to sign an offer sheet to go to another team not battling as hard as the Isles did in this series.

I am glad to see Dobson got the call but yes wish it was not Pelech who got hurt. The kid handled himself well in his 1st NHL playoff game.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks man. I think Barzal is going through those growing pains that MacKinnon went through before living up to the hype. This was a heartbreaker but we nearly forced a game 7 vs the SCF Favorite without our best defensemen.

Heres to a quick turnaround and a good next season. I actually picked Avs-Isles in my bracket for the cup. Not this year, our windows are just opening.

You bet. Isles became my #1. And were when I lived in NYC during their great Cup years (performing on broadway among other things). My go-to sports watching when time permitted.

Agree re: Barzal and MacK. He will find his way for sure. But the Ozone entries were cringeworthy because we have lived with that here.

Anywayz, onward for you guys.

Wierd sidenote.. we have a close friend, trainer for the Avs since they moved to CO. My brother got a pair of Varley's pads right before he left, also a goalie. Man, I wanted Varley to stand on his head and beat TB. He just about did.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
And yet it was the 2nd time these playoffs that he blew coverage leading to a goal. So again, he could feel bad all he wants about it, but if he doesn't start improving that aspect of the game, it doesn't help anyone including himself.
It’s honestly very surprising to me that Trotz hasn’t addressed it. He is always lazy getting back on the play. Doesn’t seem like something he’d let slide.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
On Twitter it's funny seeing the "Tampa saved hockey" hot takes, considering the Islanders played some amazing hockey to get there.

Maybe they thought it was boring because they only watched during Islanders power plays.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

i’m already ready for Lou to get to work and improve this team over the next few months.

It’s going to be interesting what they do as far as cap and how Lou figures this out. I’d imagine Leddy is traded just purely from cap considerations. If he is traded I’d like to see Greene back for sure.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I dunno. We just beat the ever loving shit out of them and they get no rest. I think they’re gonna be in tough against a real hot goalie and may not have a lot of gas left in the tank.
I think they match up well with Dallas though but your right we will see if league screws them and makes them play game 1 Saturday night.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
It’s honestly very surprising to me that Trotz hasn’t addressed it. He is always lazy getting back on the play. Doesn’t seem like something he’d let slide.

You can lead a horse to water....

Anyway, I'm not overly worried about him. He's improved other aspects of his game since he began his career, and he's a smart player. He's just got to break out of a few bad habits and learn to simplify his game when needed.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
what a weird time....usually a team has some time to lick their wounds, heal up, and everyone knows move wll be made. the isles just lost, and someone could be traded tomorrow.

this is a really close team that defintely plays for one another with a solid lockerro0m. whatecer changes come, they will be very interesting to see.

how do you replace leddy? some will say slide in dobson after one game, but realisically that wont work
how do we get a scorer here and someone who can keep up with barzal?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
f*** this guy so hard

Classic "data guy" who is wrong more than he's right and thinks a highly randomized activity like hockey, so dependent on emotion and physicality, can be quantified. He's an idiot. I'd love to see him interview Trotz. Actually, Trotz is too much of a gentleman. Maybe Torts. Hopefully he'll fade to obscurity soon. Either that or he'll get a position high up in government.

Reactions: xECK29x
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad