GDT: #6| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 17th | 8:00 PM | F/OTL 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Wow didn't think they would play such a close game, kind of new they were going to lose as Brock did not finish that shorty, the hockey God were aligning against us.

I never have ever been impressed by Dobson..... until tonight, he is going to be very good
Mayfield had his best playoff game, he was our best dman in the game, don't say that too often

This cap makes the evolution of this team very tough.... we really need Dobson and either Bellows or Wahlstrom to step up. I think we have to sign Martin, maybe he takes a little less to play here.

We will lose Brassard, Greene, Kuhnackl and Greiss, probably does not save us too much money

We don't have any sweeteners to package with Ladd for a bigger contract, wish we had something to add to Ladd to get a guy like Burns but dreaming.

I don't see getting rid of Leddy, he is a core player, he doesn't free up that much salary. I mean if they could land Mike Hoffman and trading Leddy does it, I guess that won't be too bad, but that would leave us with 4 RD's, unless they sign Greene cheap and carry Boychuk as the 7th guy.

Barzal really has to change his approach to the PP, Eddie O called it correctly and he has to dump and chase sometimes. Also Barzal did not get back on the OT goal, the first goal was more on a combo of Leddy, Nelson and Bailey standing around watching that rebound.

Not sure if you could free up enough money dealing Leddy, letting Brassard, Kuhnackl and Gresiss go, resigning Greene and Martin to cheaper deals, if that could bring in a guy like Hoffman,

Wahlstrom/Barzal/Hoffman
Beau/Nelson/Bailey
Lee/Pageau/Eberle
Martin/Cizikas/Clutter

Leo/Ladd

Pelech/Pulock
Greene/Dobson
Toews/Mayfield

Boychuk

Sorokin/Varly

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Balls, hockey player
Not an NBA player

NBA players are tough guys too, very tough. Elbows to the head, finger jams, over the backs, diving for loose balls, running up and down the court non stop and not being shifted out every 45 seconds... different kind of tough :), but still tough

Reactions: Ginger Papa

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I will be rooting for Tampa in the final. Aside from the fact that my wife and her entire family are from there, I am not going to root for Rick bowness because just looking at his face takes me back to a very unpleasurable time in islander history.

You have fonder memories of Rick Bowness than the scars of a conference finals?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
another thing I am glad we got Pageau I think he needs better line mates

he played with heart and won a lot of key faceoffs and got chances to the net

IF Pageau centers Lee and Eberle next year it will recreate similar success for those wingers like they had with Judas... Barzal needs to be around different players it is amazing that he seemed to have most chemistry when he is with Martin and Clutter

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
The New York Islanders were 2 wins from the Stanley Cup finals. When Wang owned the team they were a Tim Thomas away from not hitting the cap floor.
Hahahaha. Oh god, I don't miss the days of Garf managing the cap floor. How many people used their NTC not to come here? Hell, we almost retired Nabakov simply by offering him a job. Yup, it sure does feel different right now!!

Reactions: The Lighthouse

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Or…

We keep him and trade someone like toews who we might be able to get more from in a trade given his age/cap hit.

I think Toews will make less AAV than Leddy and for less years. Leddy’s value is high because he’s not a rental. If we can make the cap work than fine but I don’t see Toews getting more in a trade than Leddy

Reactions: majormet

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Hahahaha. Oh god, I don't miss the days of Garf managing the cap floor. How many people used their NTC not to come here? Hell, we almost retired Nabakov simply by offering him a job. Yup, it sure does feel different right now!!

In 2010 I'm fairly sure the only reason we made the cap minimum is that Doug Weight likely had millions of dollars of bonuses in his contract for things like scoring 70 goals.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Absolutely, I think his contract means Casey is a goner
Love JGP, a big, physical 4th line center, taking Casey’s place would make sense, to compliment JGP
And this team needs an infusion of talent on the wing, up and down the lines
Need Whalstrom, Bellows and Holmstrom to pan out, to some extent. Fill a line, any line
Ho-Sang, MdC? Not the answers
Zeeker has one more year on his contract.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Pelech played 32 minutes in game 5 with a broken wrist. That is insane. So I am assuming he would have been done for the playoffs even if we advanced. Wow.

As someone who has played with a broken wrist that required surgery, it's f***ing difficult (I'm a scrub and just needed to muck it up for a tournament). I couldn't imagine playing at the speed and with the tenacity required for an NHL game. Your wrist swells and everything you do hurts in some capacity, passing, shooting, poke checks, etc. Obviously it does depend on what actually broke though and how it impacts mobility.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
NBA players are tough guys too, very tough. Elbows to the head, finger jams, over the backs, diving for loose balls, running up and down the court non stop and not being shifted out every 45 seconds... different kind of tough :), but still tough
What's basketball?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Wow didn't think they would play such a close game, kind of new they were going to lose as Brock did not finish that shorty, the hockey God were aligning against us.

I never have ever been impressed by Dobson..... until tonight, he is going to be very good
Mayfield had his best playoff game, he was our best dman in the game, don't say that too often

This cap makes the evolution of this team very tough.... we really need Dobson and either Bellows or Wahlstrom to step up. I think we have to sign Martin, maybe he takes a little less to play here.

We will lose Brassard, Greene, Kuhnackl and Greiss, probably does not save us too much money

We don't have any sweeteners to package with Ladd for a bigger contract, wish we had something to add to Ladd to get a guy like Burns but dreaming.

I don't see getting rid of Leddy, he is a core player, he doesn't free up that much salary. I mean if they could land Mike Hoffman and trading Leddy does it, I guess that won't be too bad, but that would leave us with 4 RD's, unless they sign Greene cheap and carry Boychuk as the 7th guy.

Barzal really has to change his approach to the PP, Eddie O called it correctly and he has to dump and chase sometimes. Also Barzal did not get back on the OT goal, the first goal was more on a combo of Leddy, Nelson and Bailey standing around watching that rebound.

Not sure if you could free up enough money dealing Leddy, letting Brassard, Kuhnackl and Gresiss go, resigning Greene and Martin to cheaper deals, if that could bring in a guy like Hoffman,

Wahlstrom/Barzal/Hoffman
Beau/Nelson/Bailey
Lee/Pageau/Eberle
Martin/Cizikas/Clutter

Leo/Ladd

Pelech/Pulock
Greene/Dobson
Toews/Mayfield

Boychuk

Sorokin/Varly

Too early for me to be writing depth charts. But I agree with nearly everything you said. Pageau & Barzal Both need better wingers. Barzal has a ton to learn, all the talent in the world but the truth does hurt. He was not a big threat in the series, no goals and was literally standing there watching his man Cirelli drive the nail into our coffin. If that was someone like Bailey, Eberle or Brassard, there would be 200 posts calling for their head. He put the Trotz approach on the back burner and I hope that GWG is a reminder to him that this team is about the logo.

On a positive note, this was destined as the Isles just couldn't raise the cup without the fans to cheer them on. Let's open Belmont up with a bang!

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks, Canucks fan coming in peace and support. Although I was cheering for Tampa I want to pay my respects for the HF Isles Members I've become familiar with over the course of these Playoffs.

@GrandmaSlices51631
@Riseonfire
@MattMartin (amazing GDT's)
@GOLFWANG
@S190

And several others who are escaping my mind atm.

I really appreciated how you folks handled yourselves amidst the criticism you endured regarding your teams style of play. It's not my preference, but your loyalty and classy defence of your Team deserves full marks in my book.

Cheers and best of luck over the off-season. I hope the world is in a place where we can start next season in the near future.
IMG_5034.GIF

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I will be rooting for Tampa in the final. Aside from the fact that my wife and her entire family are from there, I am not going to root for Rick bowness because just looking at his face takes me back to a very unpleasurable time in islander history.
Definitely rooting for Bowness and the Stars. He grew up here. Know lots of folks that know him and he's a real standup guy that's paid his dues big time for this shot. Pulling all the way for him!

Reactions: Tahoeblue

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Definitely rooting for Bowness and the Stars. He grew up here. Know lots of folks that know him and he's a real standup guy that's paid his dues big time for this shot. Pulling all the way for him!

Bowness, I think was a Bruins coach first, remember him as a player for the Jets too (what Coyotes became). He was a Milbury guy first.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Hi folks, Canucks fan coming in peace and support. Although I was cheering for Tampa I want to pay my respects for the HF Isles Members I've become familiar with over the course of these Playoffs.

@GrandmaSlices51631
@Riseonfire
@MattMartin (amazing GDT's)
@GOLFWANG
@S190

And several others who are escaping my mind atm.

I really appreciated how you folks handled yourselves amidst the criticism you endured regarding your teams style of play. It's not my preference, but your loyalty and classy defence of your Team deserves full marks in my book.

Cheers and best of luck over the off-season. I hope the world is in a place where we can start next season in the near future.
View attachment 367985

Thanks for the kind words Ginger. I am now familiar with the GIF KING of HFBoards. I have to admit I was lurking some Tampa GDTs and guys, this Ginger arranges GIFs like a comic strip to tell a full story/game prediction. You owe us one next season for rooting for the Bolts!

Heres to a brighter future for both our respective teams, lots to look forward to.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Absolutely, I think his contract means Casey is a goner
Love JGP, a big, physical 4th line center, taking Casey’s place would make sense, to compliment JGP
And this team needs an infusion of talent on the wing, up and down the lines
Need Whalstrom, Bellows and Holmstrom to pan out, to some extent. Fill a line, any line
Ho-Sang, MdC? Not the answers
JGP is certainly physical, but big? He's barely 5'10" and might sniff 180 but only after an all nighter at the Golden Corral. Did you see the pics from the ping pong tourney? He is not a big dude at all.

And hey, now that he's almost certainly going to play in the coming season (we need ELCs on the roster to be able to pay others), can we all start spelling WaHlstrom's name right?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Too early for me to be writing depth charts. But I agree with nearly everything you said. Pageau & Barzal Both need better wingers. Barzal has a ton to learn, all the talent in the world but the truth does hurt. He was not a big threat in the series, no goals and was literally standing there watching his man Cirelli drive the nail into our coffin. If that was someone like Bailey, Eberle or Brassard, there would be 200 posts calling for their head. He put the Trotz approach on the back burner and I hope that GWG is a reminder to him that this team is about the logo.

On a positive note, this was destined as the Isles just couldn't raise the cup without the fans to cheer them on. Let's open Belmont up with a bang!

Yeah we may take a step back next season as most teams do and then go forward. Barzal needs to be around guys that sniff the goal, kind of what Judas had when he had Moulson or PAP... his game on the periphery feeding the point guys and need garbage men to clean up

Pageau is kind of like a Judas center in that he likes to dump and chase except more speed than Judas but Judas had incredible core strength.

What we learned this year is this a tight group of guys that are well coached, and players come here and develop, well not so much MDC but everyone else especially Pelech and Nelson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->