GDT: #6| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | September 17th | 8:00 PM | F/OTL 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I am really torn about the finals. Part of me really does not want to see this whiny Tampa team win the cup, but then on the other hand, if they go in and beat Dallas in 5 or something like that, it really shows just how close we were.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Great run boys. 6 wins from a cup. Let that sink in. It was alot of fun watching this run. The better team did win. Although theyre a bunch of punks. I am proud to be an NYI fan.

See you guys on draft day!

Reactions: Duanesutter12

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
You could be the coyotes?

Get bent. Be proud of this team. They were a good group, who really worked, overachieved, and gave us tons of good memories over the past eight weeks.

The reality is… The better team won. I feel absolutely no shame and only pride in how things went down.
Huh? I said in another post how proud I was. But that was unquestionably an unlucky way to finish a great season.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Sucks. So close, but that PP was the one. That was the chance to come through and we did not even get a shot. But I am very proud of our team. We gave Tampa all they could handle and this easily could have gone to a game 7. But it has been quite a run and so much fun and great moments over the past 6 weeks.

I know we give you shit SI81, but I live all Isles fans as pessimistic as they may be

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
I am really torn about the finals. Part of me really does not want to see this whiny Tampa team win the cup, but then on the other hand, if they go in and beat Dallas in 5 or something like that, it really shows just how close we were.
Maybe if Tampa finally wins they won’t care anymore in future years, a la Washington. One less team to overcome

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
We hope he learns, but that look could simply be one of disappointment that the season was over as opposed to guilt or remorse for what he should've done differently or better.
barzal knows it was his guy who scored...plain and simple.
he will only improve and we had other chances to win...like a freakin break away

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Man, I was really thinking if they could have put one in they'd have won game 7 too. They've been sub-par since halfway thru the Philly series, and tonight it was like it was coming back. Cal started it tonight with a great physical shift. But I attribute that to Boychuk's return and setting a good example of keeping it simple and calm and playing more north-south. Dobson looked good. Varly was great. Too bad. But for what it's worth, the dynasty team lost in this round ("semi-finals" back then) 3 straight years, then lost in the quarters, then the semis again before finally starting the Cup run the next year. I like the core. I like that Dobson and Sorokin are coming in. And we've got a GM and coaching staff that will make the right decisions moving forward. Lots to be excited about moving forward.

Oh, and BTW, everyone's favorite trade chip was our best defenseman these playoffs. ;)

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Failed PP!! Tough to swallow: however, the core of this team cut their teeth on what it takes to win in the playoffs, which is incredibly valuable. Now Lou has some serious evaluations to do. This team will look different next year for sure. It was fun while it lasted!!!!

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
One positive from this game I thought was Dobson. Looked really poised back there and jumped in on the offense a few times.
I thought he was very shaky in the first, and questioned the decision to play him. He definitely settled in as the game went on and looked very good in the 3rd. Excited to see get more ice time whenever the next season is.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

They're gonna have a hard time because of the short turn and how much they had to play these last two games. If they ended this in regulation 2 days ago I think they win easily. Now I think it might be in 6

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I think this is Tampa’s year they clearly are doing what it takes to win.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Hi everyone!!
As I did after the previous rounds, I'm here to shake virtually your hands.
It was an hell of series for sure: you reacted very well after the first two games and you put on the ice a great hockey, based in particular on inteisity.
Congrats also to Varlamov that, after the first game, played an amazing series.
So, GG to everyone of you!

Last thing...The world of hockey said that, without Tavares, your team would become hot garbage :D Believe me: in Toronto maybe Tavares is richer. But he's more salty for sure.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
I just wanna say how much I've enjoyed riding the high and lows with you guys in here!
I love the GDTs... And being on other side of world it's great to have people to talk Isles with.
It was great to see two games at Coliseum this year, will never forget the St Louis come from behind win.
Great to meet @Finnislander too!
Even got to visit Offside Tavern, a real shame to hear it's going.
Hopefully not long before we do it all again!
Love you guys and love the Isles!
Hopefully see you at Belmont soon!

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If you are just noticing what garbage he is now...no hustle on D, stupid decision making on entry passes, one-dimensional game...can't stand him.

No doubt his fanboys will blast me and say "oh he is such a special talent..."

Sorry, but no thanks.

He is a special talent, but there have been many like him who never made the grade because they never became a complete hockey player. He has a lot to learn about how to use his teammates rather than continually trying to do everything himself. His PP behavior is a prime example. He has to learn that his efforts in the D-zone are equally important. If he can't learn from this playoff season, he could become one of those young budding superstars that burns out, gets traded a few times between dinosaur GMs who think they can fix him.

I hope he figures it out because the talent is there, but raw talent won't do it alone. It will let him last in the league, but he will be so frustrating because he's wasting all of the talent because he can't learn the other necessary pieces so vital to being a truly great player.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
This team gave me a lot of joy this past Summer. I am so proud of them!!

Side Note: I really want Butch and Shannon to stop talking about the 80's Islanders. I really dont want to hear about 1984 and Billy Smith right now

Reactions: periferal

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
few positives

Dobson looked great

Eberle actually played decent tonight but not good enough

Boychuk should of been in earlier as he is just a monster and gives it all every playoffs

Leddy just looks so good with getting the puck up and getting into the zone if he gets traded I am going to miss this

Varly actually looked like a great goatlender for most of this series

Reactions: nyisleslover

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Douchey team
To me? Easy to root against
Bad combination of dirty/ crying

Besides the usuals, Sergachev and Kucherov are real easy to not like

Wonder if a certain “unconventional” GM had taken a d-man instead of a center, those years ago
Would that D-man have been allowed to or could have grown into the dominant force he is now?
Remember that with Dobson and Wilde forcthe next few years, growth isn’t linear

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
This series was more than just a great run.

This was a symbol to the Islander fan that this organization is not messing around. We have a new coach, new identity, new face of the franchise and new arena. This is what fans of other teams do not understand.

I love you all.

f*** you NBC, the collective “ahhh” we can hear is loud and clear.

THIS! SO PROUD! Most fun I ever had as Isles fan.

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
What a stretch of hockey. Would have loved a game 7 but they left it all out there and it could have gone either way.

Man, watching Lee right now and he can barely speak.

Yep--- few more questions, and he might have totally broken down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad