Post-Game Talk: 6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft Day II - 1PM ET - NHL Network. SN, TVAS

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They have $14m to sign 6 players (they have 16 signed), including Marner, KK, Johnsson. Marner will get around $10m and $3m for KK.

They still don’t have enough space and their D sucks.

My guess is Zaitsev is the next one gone. He won't get much of a return, but they can move him.

I agree their D stinks as it's constructed. But all this talk of poaching their mid-level RFA's like Kapanen and Johansson was a load of you-know-what the entire time.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
My guess is Zaitsev is the next one gone. He won't get much of a return, but they can move him.

I agree their D stinks as it's constructed. But all this talk of poaching their mid-level RFA's like Kapanen and Johansson was a load of you-know-what the entire time.

The problem is that they aren’t going to be able to add a Top 4 D replacement for Zaitsev for the same salary he has.

Reactions: Flannelman

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Oilers get Lavoie

Poor Lavoie.....

Issues are consitency and work ethic. Not the best team to have those issues draft you.

Reactions: Strafer

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What the heck happened to My guys Vlasic & Robertson

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The problem is that they aren’t going to be able to add a Top 4 D replacement for Zaitsev for the same salary he has.

I mean you can debate their strategy of how to build a successful team all day long. It's too top-heavy for my liking. If/when Marner is signed, lots of money commited to right-shooting wingers and centers, not much invested in LWers and D.

But the cap problems are only problems when you have expensive contracts on under-performing players that you can't move when needed. I've said from the start the cap problems in TO were VASTLY overrated. The guys they want to keep long-term, they will. The issue may be that they can't add or replace what they have subtracted.

In TO's case, your looking at a loss of Marleau, Gardiner, Hainsey, and possibly Zaitsev. Not a huge loss when you consider every team loses a player or two every off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad