Post-Game Talk: 6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft Day II - 1PM ET - NHL Network. SN, TVAS

JoeBeef15

Feb 6, 2012
Somerville, MA
I had a gut feeling at the draft last night that subban would head to NJ after they selected 1st. Seems like NJ is trying to put it all together.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Nowadays $$$$ trumps skill.
I would love to see a comprehensive study on “cap dumps” in general- obviously there are a number of metrics but it’s interesting.

I think PK will be good for Newark; that city has really been trying to revitalize itself and, no matter how people feel about PK, he is great as a brand ambassador and does a lot w the community.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Carolina made a nice move with its trade. Marleau is not worth what he is getting but he just put up 16g 37pts this past season and played 82 games averaging 16 mins a game. Carolina has plenty of cap room, and got a first round pick in the process. Toronto did what they had to do given their cap situation. Paid for a poor decision on that contract they gave Marleau.

All indications were that the Preds wanted to move Subban. Good move by them. I thought they would get a better return, but cannot blame them for the trade. They needed to get away from that cap hit in order to add offense. I don't hate it for NJ either, though. They have the cap room, so it might end up working out for them provided PK can start focusing more on hockey and less on outside stuff.

Opening up cap space seems to be the major theme this summer.

Reactions: BMC

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Trade: Predators send P.K. Subban to Devils
Screenshot_2019-06-22-12-55-55~2.png

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would love to see a comprehensive study on “cap dumps” in general- obviously there are a number of metrics but it’s interesting.

I think PK will be good for Newark; that city has really been trying to revitalize itself and, no matter how people feel about PK, he is great as a brand ambassador and does a lot w the community.

Good point, as someone who works for a major company based in Newark, and spend 50 days a year in Newark, Newark is on the rebound, but it is a slow process

Of course the question is will Newark rebound in the way Brooklyn has, by basically squeezing those people who have traditionally lived there out of the area,

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Good point, as someone who works for a major company based in Newark, and spend 50 days a year in Newark, Newark is on the rebound, but it is a slow process

Of course the question is will Newark rebound in the way Brooklyn has, by basically squeezing those people who have traditionally lived there out of the area,

Don’t want to get too OT, but I do think they’re trying to do a lot of services to upskill the community. I’ve been involved w a unit of the city on and off. Rent control, and other solutions, to keep the local populace in place I haven’t see.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Carolina made a nice move with its trade. Marleau is not worth what he is getting but he just put up 16g 37pts this past season and played 82 games averaging 16 mins a game. Carolina has plenty of cap room, and got a first round pick in the process. Toronto did what they had to do given their cap situation. Paid for a poor decision on that contract they gave Marleau.

Likely Carolina is going to buy out Marleau, who wants to go back to the Sharks.

A team with cap space getting a first-rounder basically to carry a few extra million on the cap hit for a year is a great haul. Carolina has been able to fortify its team on cap dumps (Teravainen being the most notable).

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Likely Carolina is going to buy out Marleau, who wants to go back to the Sharks.
That's a strong possibility. Basically Carolina bought a draft pick, and if by some chance Marleau suits up for the Canes (odds are he won't) then he is not some completely cooked player. Looks like Carolina may be starting to get serious about being more competitive. Seems like they've been on the cusp of being a pretty good up and coming team for multiple years now, so perhaps this past season has energized ownership.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I liked the Beecher pick, honestly

Big guy with size AND speed? And for all we know, there's still some strong potential for his offense to grow. I reckon there was a time when nobody thought Blake Wheeler would rise to the prominence he enjoys now, eh?

I mean, c'mon. Did anyone really think Wheeler would take off like he has? I didn't. You never know. Let's trust the GM who JUST WON the GM of the Year award

Wheeler's not exactly a great comparison. He was a top 5 pick who just took a while to reach his potential.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Kaliyev going early today is the best possible scenario, as we no longer have to look at him.

Woof.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad