Post-Game Talk: 6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft Day II - 1PM ET - NHL Network. SN, TVAS

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If you think the Bruins drafted a kid who skates like Beecher does so that they can tell him to go stand in front of the net, I think you're going to be disappointed.

maybe they did knowing he`d be the first to the net with that speed:laugh::sarcasm:

No comment by me on the kids picked, just don`t know anything about any of them other than the bits and pieces I`ve wrote here and seen far too many can`t misses miss badly and a late rounder playing regular NHL minutes, ya just never know

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
TSN rated Beecher's skating as 5/5. Said he had potential as an elite-skating middle six center.

Listen to Button talk about the kid's skating:

"Can fly like the wind."

I mean, the kid just looks like a dynamic skater. Maybe not on the level of a Hughes or a Cozens, but not that far off.

Holly crap! Can't believe I'm seeing this big kid skate like that. Awesome!

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Lack of will...the bruins that made it to game 7? Yah ok.
I'm no fan of McKenzie, or anyone on CBC/TSN really, aside from Don Cherry, and Ron MacLean, but..

A lot of guys NOT on Lines 1 and 2 showed tremendous heart in the SC Final, but several of our top players didn't really seem to as much as them.

I know that DK46 is a guy who never seems excited at all about anything, but it certainly seemed to me that StL "wanted" the Cup more than we did.

One wouldn't think that extra motivation or will would be required at the NHL level, but apparently, it is. If Don has a focus on this, and I'm not arguing he shouldn't if corrections are needed, then I think we have to apply the same ameliorative remedies at both the draft table and in our acquisitions.

Long story short, I don't think we can dismiss McKenzie's point blithely.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm no fan of McKenzie, or anyone on CBC/TSN really, aside from Don Cherry, and Ron MacLean, but..

A lot of guys NOT on Lines 1 and 2 showed tremendous heart in the SC Final, but several of our top players didn't really seem to as much as them.

I know that DK46 is a guy who never seems excited at all about anything, but it certainly seemed to me that StL "wanted" the Cup more than we did.

One wouldn't think that extra motivation or will would be required at the NHL level, but apparently, it is. If Don has a focus on this, and I'm not arguing he shouldn't if corrections are needed, then I think we have to apply the same ameliorative remedies at both the draft table and in our acquisitions.

The bruins came out hard "with will" got down a goal, then 2. The blues essentially suffocated the bruins as they did with each of their opponents before them.

The bruins "wanted" it. The blues played to their strength with a lead much like the bruins would have had they got the first goal.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
The bruins came out hard "with will" got down a goal, then 2. The blues essentially suffocated the bruins as they did with each of their opponents before them.

The bruins "wanted" it. The blues played to their strength with a lead much like the bruins would have had they got the first goal.
I was referring to the whole series in general, not just Game 7.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Bruins score in the first period, they win.

Does the narrative then become the Bruins "wanted" it more?

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Bruins score in the first period, they win.

Does the narrative then become the Bruins "wanted" it more?
You don't "know" that as a fact. They might have won had they scored first; maybe not.

I didn't like the vibe the Bruins were putting out there; like once they won Game 6, the were destined to win Game 7.

Definitely seemed like some of our guys didn't go balls to the wall during the series, especially in Game 7.

I thought StL definitely outplayed us and deserved to win, but I don't think that they would have had we played to the best of our ability. We didn't play to the best of our ability.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Marchand, who’s my favorite current Bruin, seemed very nonchalant between games; overly confident. I don’t think the team thought they were going to lose the series at any point; that they thought this was their year (and it should have been). I didn’t see a team that was locked down mentally. Just my opinion.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The whole...”they didn’t want it bad enough” take is such a hindsight thing.

Like some other posters, I’m convinced that if the B’s had scored first in that dominant 1st period, the Blues would have crumbled like a stale cookie.

It went 7 games, the B’s were the better team in the first period, and Binnington bailed STL out.

Period.

I saw two teams battling for 7 games.

If the league hadn’t allowed the Blues to head shot and slewfoot their way through the first 5 games, it probably doesn’t even go 7 games, but that’s a different discussion.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Marchand, who’s my favorite current Bruin, seemed very nonchalant between games; overly confident. I don’t think the team thought they were going to lose the series at any point; that they thought this was their year (and it should have been). I didn’t see a team that was locked down mentally. Just my opinion.

I don't think you can go into another teams barn and ruin their SCF celebration in gm 6 if you aren't "mentally locked down".

Bruins 100% wanted it more in the first, they just couldn't find the back of the net.

Reactions: Blowfish

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I don't think you can go into another teams barn and ruin their SCF celebration in gm 6 if you aren't "mentally locked down".

Bruins 100% wanted it more in the first, they just couldn't find the back of the net.
I’m thinking back over the season and it just seemed to me (not sure if it’s real, though) that we’d half azz a lot of games through 2 periods and come back to win somehow. I think a bit of that mentality remained all the way through SC. game 7.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Lack of will...the bruins that made it to game 7? Yah ok.

Huge lack of will in game 7 man, no denying that. As soon as they got stoned after having a lot of possession and shots they got frustrated and let it control the rest of the game

I’d also argue games 4 and 5 - 4 being the worst - demonstrated a huge lack of will, they win one of those games and the series maybe doesn’t go 7

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Yes, I too question Marchand's will to win between games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->