Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Continue.

Part I - GDT: - 6/21-6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft - 8pm ET/ 1PM ET - NBCSN. SN, TVAS

full

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I liked the Beecher pick, honestly

Big guy with size AND speed? And for all we know, there's still some strong potential for his offense to grow. I reckon there was a time when nobody thought Blake Wheeler would rise to the prominence he enjoys now, eh?

I mean, c'mon. Did anyone really think Wheeler would take off like he has? I didn't. You never know. Let's trust the GM who JUST WON the GM of the Year award

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Come on Don, pull off that same trade for Backes!

Ridiculous that Toronto can unload Marleau and we can't find a taker for the living corpse that is Backes

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Leafs trade Patrick Marleau to Carolina.

Huge for them.
:mad:Wonder what they gave (if anything) and what sweetener that Toronta gave with him? If the Leafs didn't have to give something up to clear that cap space I have to wonder why Carolina would want him? How about the optics of trading a home town boy who wanted to be a Leaf his whole life?

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
So moving a 1yr/6m cap hit costs a 1st rounder? It doesn’t look like we’ll be able to move Backes

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I liked the Beecher pick, honestly

Big guy with size AND speed? And for all we know, there's still some strong potential for his offense to grow. I reckon there was a time when nobody thought Blake Wheeler would rise to the prominence he enjoys now, eh?

I mean, c'mon. Did anyone really think Wheeler would take off like he has? I didn't. You never know. Let's trust the GM who JUST WON the GM of the Year award

I guess many fans forget Blake Wheeler was the 5th pick in the 2004 draft.

Reactions: JoeBeef15

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So much for that Leaf cap crunch.

Marleau off the books, Kapanen about to be extended based on reports from last night.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Come on Don, pull off that same trade for Backes!

Ridiculous that Toronto can unload Marleau and we can't find a taker for the living corpse that is Backes

what are you talking about? Marleau, while clearly on the back nine of his career can still very much keep up with the pace of this league and even with a less than stellar offensive season in comparison to what he`s accomplished over his career, still had 16 goals with ice time being limited and has literally played every game over the last half dozen years.

Backes is slow, has had multiple health issues and posted a whole 7 goals and was a healthy scratch often in the playoffs

If both were out there and the B`s were interested in one of them right now, which would you pick?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

They get a mid to low first and its for a team not in their division. If anything this DOES help Toronto tremendously, which causes problems for the Flortheast Division which is good for Carolina.

Or its just revenge on Boston. The enemy of the team that swept us in the ECF is my friend....

Reactions: Strafer

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
if it cost the leafs a 1st to get rid of Marleau who only had 1 year left then it's gotta be even harder for the B's to get rid of Backes with 2 years left, right? Or does the diff between real world salary & cap hit make him more tradeable?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
if it cost the leafs a 1st to get rid of Marleau who only had 1 year left then it's gotta be even harder for the B's to get rid of Backes with 2 years left, right? Or does the diff between real world salary & cap hit make him more tradeable?

Boston low 1st plus a mid prospect is realistic IMO.

However does another team in the east help Boston improve? Well, Carolina just did it....A west team could do it just to cause more tightness in the east.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He's less tradeable than Marleau was, a fair bit IMO. According to Cap Friendly, Marleau's buy-out cap hit doesn't even roll past this year. Carolina will eat the entire cap hit after the buy-out for one year, and pay out less money than the cap hit.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Sweeney getting players to sign reasonable contracts like Marchand and Pasta is why the Bruins don't need to unload Backes. They still might on July 1st but they don't have to and certainly not with a 1st round pick.
If Marner comes in at $11m like Tavares and Matthews, TOR will be screwed for the next 5-6 years until the cap is high enough to add reasonable contracts.
$83 m - $33m = $50m
$33m = 3 players
$50m = 17 players minimum
Bad math.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->