GDT: 6/21-6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft - 8pm ET/ 1PM ET - NBCSN. SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Beecher is a great pick at 30.

Is he necessarily the top line C missing in our prospect pool? Probably not. He could be but if thats what you're looking for at 30 you're pretty always going to be disappointed.

Reactions: bbfan419

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Donny, again, went against consensus. He never learns which is strange for a Harvard man.
Why didnt Buffalo, who needs scorers more than us, not take Kaliev? Could it be his reputation for lack of competitive level and one way play been enough for them not to take him with there second first round pick, where it is less damaging to gamble on bust or home run prospects?

neelyforpresident

Dec 25, 2007
Washington
I found it interesting that Pittsburgh had what, 1 first round pick in like the last 5 years before tonight? They make moves and improve their roster. Then they win 2 cups during that timeframe. Yes, doesn’t hurt they drafted Crosby, but still, pretty interesting.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Look everyone on the board hopes this time it works out (so far the same gamble on Frederick and Senyshyn has not been so effective)

So honest to goodness question. Do people believe the Bruins walked into the building with the intention of drafting Beecher today. I do. I think they knew there was a 97% chance he would be available for their pick, and they had made the decision he was their guy before the night started,

They may wel turn out to be right, but no other team in the league drafts like that

Reactions: TwineTickler

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Beecher looks like a good pick.

Doesn't help my overall feeling of disappointment though. Thought we really could have used that high upside scorer type. Not that we would have seen him in Boston for a few years anyway.

God I hope Sweeney finds a way to get that scoring winger we so desperately lack.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ranked #32 by THE ATHLETIC<br>Ranked #45 by <a href="HockeyProspect.com - 2019 NHL Draft, OHL Draft, QMJHL Draft">HockeyProspect.com - 2019 NHL Draft, OHL Draft, QMJHL Draft</a><br>Ranked #33 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS<br>Ranked #52 by ISS HOCKEY<br>Ranked #30 by MCKEEN&#39;S HOCKEY<br>Ranked #49 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)<br>Ranked #49 by <a href="Elite Prospects - Hockey Players, Stats and Transactions">Elite Prospects - Hockey Players, Stats and Transactions</a><br>Ranked #41 by TSN/McKenzie</p>&mdash; Bruins Stats (@bruins_stats) <a href="">June 22, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Anyone notice how many players drafted under Sweeney have a name beginning with J?

Jakub Zboril
Jake DeBrusk
Jacob Forsbacka-Karlsson
Jeremy Lauzon
Jesse Gabrielle
Jack Becker
Joona Koopanen
Jack Studnicka
Jeremy Swayman
Jakub Lauko
John Beecher

Last edited:

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
Beecher looks like a good pick.

Doesn't help my overall feeling of disappointment though. Thought we really could have used that high upside scorer type. Not that we would have seen him in Boston for a few years anyway.

God I hope Sweeney finds a way to get that scoring winger we so desperately lack.

That, I'm being hyperbolistic with my complaining. He's not an awful pick but he just seems so far from the team's needs with our top 2 centers set to decline at pretty much any moment.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Always the same people for and same people against. Predictable.

Organization rolled the dice in 2014 and it went great. Kinda rolled the dice in 2016 as well with C Mac.

Something about kaliyev though, he wasn’t injured and was passed 31 times. I’m comfortable with passing on him.

He sounds like a fast T Fred, which is good and bad. We will see what happens but I’m fine w the pick, wanted Kaliyev but what do I know

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ranked #32 by THE ATHLETIC<br>Ranked #45 by <a href="HockeyProspect.com - 2019 NHL Draft, OHL Draft, QMJHL Draft">HockeyProspect.com - 2019 NHL Draft, OHL Draft, QMJHL Draft</a><br>Ranked #33 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS<br>Ranked #52 by ISS HOCKEY<br>Ranked #30 by MCKEEN&#39;S HOCKEY<br>Ranked #49 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)<br>Ranked #49 by <a href="Elite Prospects - Hockey Players, Stats and Transactions">Elite Prospects - Hockey Players, Stats and Transactions</a><br>Ranked #41 by TSN/McKenzie</p>&mdash; Bruins Stats (@bruins_stats) <a href="">June 22, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Might as well add #68 by Redline.

I think I have to stop buying Redline, because with the exception of Lauko last year, the Bruins and Redline have dramatically different views on players

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Kirk's analysis:

This big-bodied center fits the profile of what the B’s tend to value in players: size, and skating, but not completely sold on the NHL ceiling at this stage of his development. When he’s flying up the ice he’s an impressive sight to behold, and he has the makings of a solid 2-way forward. The only thing keeping him away from being a consensus top-20 draft projection is the question about his skill/offensive sense/scoring upside.

Beecher is a powerful skater who has fluid acceleration, agility and top speed for such a big man. He can go end-to-end and catch defenders flat-footed in open ice.
When he uses his size to drive the net, there aren’t many players at this level who can stop him. In short, he’s a rare physical package who can really fire the puck, but what holds him back is the vision/creativity and puck skills- he’s not a natural scorer. He’s a little similar to Trent Frederic in that he’s not lauded for his offensive talent, but is an athlete with size and mobility- you know that even if he isn’t scoring, he won’t be chasing the play. Is that enough for Beecher to be the team’s first selection, though?

Still, there’s enough to like about the Ohio State-bound power forward that he makes sense as a solid high floor draft option at the end of the first round because he’s likely to reach the NHL and play meaningful games. It’s just that he may not develop into much more than what he is already, and that has been a solid complementary player in a constellation of stars on the most talented U.S. NTDP birth year in program history. And to be completely honest- that might be a pretty good thing for whomever drafts him.

3 Amigos: 2019 Boston Bruins Draft Preview

Sounds an awful lot like Sean Kuraly

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
Might as well add #68 by Redline.

I think I have to stop buying Redline, because with the exception of Lauko last year, the Bruins and Redline have dramatically different views on players

Are we planning on developing him as LW or C? I completely forgot about him when he's probably our highest upside prospect.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
That, I'm being hyperbolistic with my complaining. He's not an awful pick but he just seems so far from the team's needs with our top 2 centers set to decline at pretty much any moment.

Exactly, not so much a bad pick as it is a bad pick with what else was on the board.

maswe12

Feb 27, 2002
orlando, fl
I like the pick. Looks like he has size and skating ability and his stats were probably stifled being part of a stacked team. Most of the guys that drop in the first round, do so for a good reason and few end up like Barzal. Bruins scouts have a good track record of building a core with picks outside the first round. If there is someone they really like in the 2nd round, maybe they can move back in...but I highly doubt it would be for the guys they just passed up.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Always the same people for and same people against. Predictable.

Organization rolled the dice in 2014 and it went great. Kinda rolled the dice in 2016 as well with C Mac.

Something about kaliyev though, he wasn’t injured and was passed 31 times. I’m comfortable with passing on him.

He sounds like a fast T Fred, which is good and bad. We will see what happens but I’m fine w the pick, wanted Kaliyev but what do I know

The problem is not prefering Kaliyev or others, the problem is to write off the newest Bruins or taking shots at management/Sweeney seconds after the pick.

Sad...

Reactions: Alicat

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
You do realize you simply say the same thing over and over days on end?

Literally you do.

Just thought Id point it out so you know we think we know where You are coming from.

Sweeney has his own thread which I believe you have used , continue to do so.

Thanks.
So y’mean I can’t post about the picks the GM literally just made minutes ago at the Draft table and comment about it like everyone else here? Feels like I should change my name to TheReal63Marchand.

Lots of members here, on all the team boards criticize their GMs. The buck stops with him. Thats why they pay him the big bucks. It’s nothing personal.

Hey, I hope the guys works out, despite the gratuitous ad hominem suggestions that I’m rooting for some other team.

Reading Kirk’s take on Beecher; well, we’ll see.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like the pick. Looks like he has size and skating ability and his stats were probably stifled being part of a stacked team. Most of the guys that drop in the first round, do so for a good reason and few end up like Barzal. Bruins scouts have a good track record of building a core with picks outside the first round. If there is someone they really like in the 2nd round, maybe they can move back in...but I highly doubt it would be for the guys they just passed up.

That's all well and good, but that was exactly the Zach Senysyn story. Big outstanding skater, future power forward. Stats stiffed by being on a stacked team

Reactions: Lo97 and bryson21

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Agreed we needed to gamble on a high upside player.

Beecher sounds decent, but I already know management is able to find those motor players more quietly - Kuraly, Kuhlman, Coyle.

The knock on Kaliyev (and barzal) seemed to be character? What's the point of having our "leadership" if it can't improve young players...

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The problem is not prefering Kaliyev or others, the problem is to write off the newest Bruins or taking shots at management/Sweeney seconds after the pick.

Sad...
Has this scouting staff not earned some benefit of doubt by now?

Sure... I'm disappointed too.

But I'm also an ignorant boob compared to this crew who has done a great job with our pool of youth.

Beecher may not have the stats. But he has the physical attributes we need and apparently some pretty decent hockey sense.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Sad...

He’s a other guy with limited offensive upside it seems and I can see people being frustrated a 50 goal scorer was left on the board. They’ve gone extremely safe with their last three first round picks and I will defer to them but I get the irritation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad